Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo ribs?

Options
I need to be able to cook baby back ribs a little faster than usual tomorrow. Usually I go about 250 for around 5 hours. If I decide to turbo them, what's the technique? And about how long will they take? Wrap or no?
Thanks
Jefferson, GA
XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
“Honey, we bought a farm.”

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I think @Mickey does baby back ribs at 350* for around 90 minutes or so, no foil.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    I can vouch for Mickey's Turbo Ribs. They've turned out great every time I've cooked them.  
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Thanks, guys. Do they turn out fall off the bone or do they have a little more bite?
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    Thanks, guys. Do they turn out fall off the bone or do they have a little more bite?

After about 90 minutes you should take a look at them and assess them.  Take them off when they are as done as you want them to be.  If you hit exactly 350 (I'm usually happy to be somewhere between 300 and 350) 100 minutes will usually be perfect for a rib with just a little bite.  At 300 or 325 it will take a little longer.

Make sure you have a drip pan with an air gap between the drip pan and the platesetter (or whatever ceramic or metal device you use to block direct heat).  The ceramic of a platesetter gets quite hot when cooking at 350 and can radiate heat onto the bottom of your ribs and cook/dry them.  Don't ask how I know.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Indirect at 350 for an hour. Foil, a bit of liquid (apple juice) and sauce as desired for another 45. 

Drip pan - yes

Space - No required

New Albany, Ohio 

• hagfish
    hagfish Posts: 8
    Options
    Just wanted to share my experience with first time turbo ribs (thanks Mickey).  I've always done a 2-1-1 method before over direct heat at around 235-245.. While I've made some great ribs doing it that way, it was a little unpredictable. Sometimes the ribs need the right amount of "firm up" time after the foil, sometimes they would already be falling apart after the foil- so I was ready to experiment with something new... First I'll say- they turned out great.  

Here's my comment / question though.  The process wasn't quite as "turbo" as I expected.  I checked them at 1 hour, 40 mins and they were looking good but barely bending at all.  I kept giving them 20-30 minutes more until the bend finally looked good and I saw a little crack.   At this point it had been about 3 and half hours..   These were pretty meaty baby backs- I think about 3 lbs or just over.. I was using my bbq guru dialed in at 350 attached to the dome thermometer.. Dome was reading about 335-340 and the guru stayed locked in at 350 throughout the cook, I suppose it's possible one or both may need re-calibration.  I was using the platesetter w/ a glass drip pan (lined w/ foil) sitting on top of the placesetter.. Is it possible there was too much "indirect-ness"?  Like I said, they turned out delicious I was just expecting faster.. Lemme know if anyone has any thoughts or things to try next time!
  • hagfish
    Options
    Follow up post.. did another rack today turbo style and this time they were just about perfect at an hour and 40 minutes (they're sitting in a cooler and foil right now while I wait for the fam to get home, but I can tell they're gonna be perfect..)  Only "egg" difference was I didn't use a drip pan this time, just placesetter with foil on top..  The other difference was these ribs were from a different store and had a "never frozen" sticker.. Maybe the meat quality was that effective to the cook time?  Anyways- there's no going back from this method, thanks again!
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Just put a rack on here in Austin. 

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    Monday night was the best spare ribs I swear I have ever egged. They were a natural set from Kroger and as I was cleaning them up I decided that piggy had led a good life or might have been breeder stock since there was so much fat to trim off. I trimmed them up St Louis style and only saved the flap meat - the rest just had too much fat. I then coated them well with DP Dizzy Dust. Set my egg up indirect using foil covered PS. Used a large chunk of guava wood plus 2 pieces of apple. I'm actually a fan of no flip no peek, but did after 2 hours. Ran bone side down at 300º for an hour then 325º for another hour. Then flipped for 30 min and then sauced with home made Wild Boar sauce and flipped back bone side down again for 30 more minutes. Those ribs screamed!  
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    RRP said:
    Monday night was the best spare ribs I swear I have ever egged. They were a natural set from Kroger and as I was cleaning them up I decided that piggy had led a good life or might have been breeder stock since there was so much fat to trim off. I trimmed them up St Louis style and only saved the flap meat - the rest just had too much fat. I then coated them well with DP Dizzy Dust. Set my egg up indirect using foil covered PS. Used a large chunk of guava wood plus 2 pieces of apple. I'm actually a fan of no flip no peek, but did after 2 hours. Ran bone side down at 300º for an hour then 325º for another hour. Then flipped for 30 min and then sauced with home made Wild Boar sauce and flipped back bone side down again for 30 more minutes. Those ribs screamed!  
    Where's the pics?
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Here's a post I did in 2011, the cook first happened in1999, it was turbo, but I didn't even know the term then. I now do like others have posted. 325-350 raised indirect on the AR for about 1hr. 40 min. for baby backs, 2 hrs. for St. Louis style.

Although we love low and slow babybacks, we needed to come up with a fast way of cooking them. We would do the low and slow on our days off, but sometimes wanted ribs when we didn't get home until 6 pm. About 12 years ago we tried several different methods and then hit on this one and have been doing them ever since, when we are in a pinch for time. 

First I like to get the ribs at Costco, I look for the fresh ones that they have just boned the loins off of, if they don't have them then I'll get the crayovaced ones. I'll rinse them under cold water to get the blood off and pat them dry. Remove the membrane from the bone side, starting at the small end and pull towards the big end. Use a towel or pair of pliers to get a good grip. The crayovaced BB's at Costco, already have the membrane removed. The fresh ones and the St. Louis Style don't. Then turn over and remove the extra layer of meat on the small end, trim this piece up. We cook this with the ribs and use them for munchies while the ribs are resting after the cook.

I'll rub them with Worcestershire on both sides and then season them. We usually like to make our own seasoning, but again because of time I grabbed the only thing I had in the pantry (McCormicks Montreal Steak Seasoning) and gave it a try. Sprinkled it lighty on both sides and rubbed it in, don't get to heavy handed with this because it will be very salty if you do. Since I only had a Weber gas grill at the time, that's what we cooked on. Cooked at 325-350 over direct heat bone side down for 30 minutes, checking to make sure there was no charring after 20 minutes, if there was then adjusting the temp. or moving them around on the grill. Next turn to meat side for 10 minutes, then back to the bone side, applied sauce and cooked for another 20 minutes. Total cook time was 1 hour. Pulled them off and tent foiled for 10 minutes. These are the kind that you gnaw on, not fall off the bone. Moist and flavorful.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • RRP
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:

Where's the pics?
    well, sir I was so excited after eating the flap meat before bringing in the ribs that I totally forgot to take another! You are just going to believe me after you see this before shot.

• hagfish
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Another follow up to my follow up.. So I said I knew the ribs were going to be perfect- not exactly... They were cooked well, a little more bite than I like (we prefer them to bite clean off the bone, these still had some meat on the bone)- but they were quite hammy, and very very salty..  These BB ribs were from Aldi- and they were in 12% saline solution i.e. "enhanced"- but I'm pretty sure almost all stores that sell cryo-vac ribs are enhanced right?  

Anyways- I also made the mistake of using a rub that was a little on the salty side.. The meat was tender but the meatier parts were were deep pink, not that whitish color that you want..  Just curious if this has anything to do with the turbo method, or is it more the actual meat and rub? 
  • dmchicago
    edited April 2018
    Options
    hagfish said:
     but I'm pretty sure almost all stores that sell cryo-vac ribs are enhanced right?  

Not all of them. The HEB grocery store chain here in Texas sells a few different labels of ribs and they have some that are not "enhanced". 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • RRP
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    hagfish said:
     but I'm pretty sure almost all stores that sell cryo-vac ribs are enhanced right?  

Not all of them. The HEB grocery store chain here in Texas sells a few different labels of ribs and they have some that are not "enhanced". 
    Those cryo-vac spares I egged Monday night from Kroger were specifically labeled as "natural - not enhanced". Actually that was first time I've seen any labeled that way. And BTW they were in the bin right next to the enhanced ones so look them over if you have a Kroger near by.
  • hagfish
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I'm headed to a nice little store here in Texas called Market Street.  They have BOGO baby backs advertised- I'm hoping they're natural- about to find out!
  • hagfish
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Sure enough- these bogo's from market st are labeled "all natural".. I do like Aldi a lot, but I think I'm done buying salty ribs there!  I'm still curious if the turbo process had anything to do w/ it though.
  • dmchicago
    Options
    hagfish said:
    Sure enough- these bogo's from market st are labeled "all natural".. I do like Aldi a lot, but I think I'm done buying salty ribs there!  I'm still curious if the turbo process had anything to do w/ it though.
    Turbo should not make ribs salty. 

Saline injected or salty rubs would. 

Dennis - Austin,TX