Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hamburger help

Options
2»

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,687
    Options
    I use fresh ground sirloin which is 85/15 to 90/10.  Make 1/3-1/2# patties and sprinkle with DizzyPig Cowlick.  No oil, no mix, nothing else.  Get the egg up to 550-650F some temp with the grate 3-6 inches from the fire.  About 2 minutes a side......that's it.  If you stab them with a thermapen you'll lose about an ounce of juice.  

As one said before, that preground stuff in the tube, or vacu packed tray sucks.  I dont know why, but it's always dry and chewy.  Get something ground that day.  And any lower temp for me on the fire isn't as good either.....gotta get a good char.  The reason is go so low in the fat is because of the drippings.......that white butter smoke and flareups kill it for me.  These do not drip, so no flareups. 

Also "extra lean ground beef" can be anything.....but it's really whatever they can't label for even more money.  Ground sirloin is usually the same price or less than a buck more.  We have one butcher in town that grinds extra lean ground chuck......that's always good.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    15 mins a side at 300. He should come work for you @stlcharcoal and head up your new briquet division.
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    I have never tried it at a temp like 650. I will have to give it a whirl.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,826
    Options
    just a regional question. here, ground hamburger can have several cuts of beef and then they add a pretty hefty amount of fat.  ground beef is usually a single cut of beef, sirlion or chuck etc with zero added fat 
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    I had never heard that so I googled. 

Ground beef accounts for an estimated 60% of all beef consumption in the U.S. and is a frequent purchase in many households. Consumers are familiar with the terms hamburger and ground beef, but often use them interchangeably.

Ground beef is made up of only skeletal muscles, only muscle attached to bone, no variety meats such as organs. Some retailers feature ground round, sirloin or chuck, and these labels mean only primal cuts or trim from those specific wholesale cuts are allowed into that product. In both ground beef and hamburger a maximum of 30% of fat is allowed. Additionally, either ground beef or hamburger may not have added water, phosphates, extenders or binders. Therefore, the main difference comes down to the way fat is added. All ground beef can only be made using fat from meat trimmings; no additional fat may be added. Hamburger however, can add fat to the lean mixture to reach the desired fat content level.

The lean-to-fat ratio gives a quantitative description of the composition of the product. A package with the label “80% fat free” indicates there is 20% fat in that product. It also can be labeled as 80/20, which is just another way of saying 80% lean, 20% fat. In order for a beef product to be labeled as a “lean” product there must be less than 10 grams of fat within each 100 grams, so less than 10%. To claim “extra lean”, each 100 grams of beef must contain less than 5 grams of fat, or 5%. There are a wide variety of supply, with the combinations and assortments of hamburger and ground beef that fit the need of each consumer.

http://www.meatscience.org/TheMeatWeEat/topics/article/2017/07/19/ground-beef-vs-hamburger---do-you-know-the-difference

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,826
    edited April 2018
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    I had never heard that so I googled. 

Ground beef accounts for an estimated 60% of all beef consumption in the U.S. and is a frequent purchase in many households. Consumers are familiar with the terms hamburger and ground beef, but often use them interchangeably.

Ground beef is made up of only skeletal muscles, only muscle attached to bone, no variety meats such as organs. Some retailers feature ground round, sirloin or chuck, and these labels mean only primal cuts or trim from those specific wholesale cuts are allowed into that product. In both ground beef and hamburger a maximum of 30% of fat is allowed. Additionally, either ground beef or hamburger may not have added water, phosphates, extenders or binders. Therefore, the main difference comes down to the way fat is added. All ground beef can only be made using fat from meat trimmings; no additional fat may be added. Hamburger however, can add fat to the lean mixture to reach the desired fat content level.

The lean-to-fat ratio gives a quantitative description of the composition of the product. A package with the label “80% fat free” indicates there is 20% fat in that product. It also can be labeled as 80/20, which is just another way of saying 80% lean, 20% fat. In order for a beef product to be labeled as a “lean” product there must be less than 10 grams of fat within each 100 grams, so less than 10%. To claim “extra lean”, each 100 grams of beef must contain less than 5 grams of fat, or 5%. There are a wide variety of supply, with the combinations and assortments of hamburger and ground beef that fit the need of each consumer.

http://www.meatscience.org/TheMeatWeEat/topics/article/2017/07/19/ground-beef-vs-hamburger---do-you-know-the-difference

its something ive never seen on the forum. the butchers here always have a ground hamburger bin next to the ground beef, seems to be disappearing in the chain superstores. ground hamburger makes better burgers
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    I have never paid attention as to whether I am buying hamburger or ground beef. It makes sense that it would be different. 
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    We use 80/20 with a table spoon of Hellmans (or Best Foods, determinant on which side of the Mississippi River you are) to 1 1/2 pounds and make 4 patties. 

I like to to use some SPOG in my mix as well. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • drumdudeguy
    drumdudeguy Posts: 165
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Use 2 lbs of 80/20 ground chuck. Add 1/2 cup chopped onion and 4 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce. Mix together and then use a measuring cup to make the burgers. Use 1 cup of meat per burger and make patties by hand (makes 6 patties). Do not over compress the meat. Cook at 400 degrees on direct heat.
    Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • fmacken
    fmacken Posts: 15
    Options
    Once you grind your own you’ll never go back. I use boneless short ribs from Costco
  • baldeagle7007
    baldeagle7007 Posts: 26
    edited December 2018
    Options
    zyou11 said:
    Two half pound 80/20 pqtties. Direct 400* about 8 mins per side got me to internal of 150-155 (wife likes her burgers well done). Let them rest for about 5-10 mins then enjoyed the juiciest burger I've ever had. 
    Does this method give a good SEAR on burgers when done ?

Thanks in advance,
    Jim

"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."

XL
    MiniMax
    MHP Gasser
    Thermoworks Smoke & Thermapen
  • BGEChicago
    Options
    I'm doing Keto so fat is not an issue, like mentioned by others cast iron but 73% 27% 
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    We have tried many different burgers including London broil ground into burgers.   The very very best we've found (in fact we did four tonight) are Aldi's pre-packaged burgers.  Easy cook between games and we both thought they outclassed the others we tried. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,103
    Options
    bucky925 said:
    We have tried many different burgers including London broil ground into burgers.   The very very best we've found (in fact we did four tonight) are Aldi's pre-packaged burgers.  Easy cook between games and we both thought they outclassed the others we tried. 
    Need to try those.....I love a good hamburger.
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Outlaw56
    Options
    What exactly is a smash burger?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    great article on how to handle your (ground) meat:

makes a huge difference in texture.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Outlaw56
    Options
  • Dmb3739
    Options
    In addition to the many great tips mentioned above, have you looked into "grillgrates"? I purchased them for my egg and absolutely love them for steaks and burgers. Juiciest burgers ever!
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    bucky925 said:
    Looked yesterday and only ones I could find were frozen, so are you talking about fresh or the frozen ones I found? Thanks Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Love Matty.  Been following him for awhile now.

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 214
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Been wanting to get one of the Kettle Q griddles just do to burgers... a little spendy, but I like the grease trap, and the open area for spatula access...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDwktRmHId0 
    Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,980
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Slippy said:
    Been wanting to get one of the Kettle Q griddles just do to burgers... a little speedy, but I like the grease trap, and the open area for spatula access...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDwktRmHId0 

If you have an adjustable rig, this setup works very well. Lodge griddle are on the AR crossbars. I smoke 1/2lb burgers u til they are 120 internal then hard sear them on the griddle. These were from a snake river farms brisket i ground at home. I have a large egg btw. Perfect fit. 
  • Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 214
    Options
    Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Slippy said:
    should fit right on top. It's a perfect fit anywhere the grid fits. it actually fits perfectly on the fire ring but htat's too low for me. I like it at gasket level so I can easily flip the burgers with a long spatula
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    bucky925 said:
    Looked yesterday and only ones I could find were frozen, so are you talking about fresh or the frozen ones I found? Thanks Jim
     Bump bucky925

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer