Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Addition - Cajun Fryer

just picked up a new fryer. My old $49.99 fish fryer has served its purpose, and it owes me nothing, but I’ve been eying an upgrade for a little while.  Finally pulled the trigger and picked up a 6 gallon Cajun Fryer from R&V Works. What a beast to say the least.  It wasn’t cheap ... especially in the GWN, but yet another product that will last a lifetime. Despite being total overkill for my needs, I think I’ll be quite happy with this.

LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Congrats.  I've been eyeballing that same 6 gallon fryer myself.  I'd love seeing some of your cooks - there's a lack of fryer cooks lately.

Phoenix 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I’m jealous. Enjoy!
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    I have the same one!! It’s a workhorse for sure
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • BBQbutler
    BBQbutler Posts: 82
    I love mine.    I have the 4 gallon two basket and use it weekly.     Even just for home made fries. 
    ‘I also purchased two 12 gallon Cajun jimmys for our men’s club at church.   We do 4 fish fries each lent.   Serve 200 dinners in two hours.  
    90 pounds of fish 75 pound sof fries and 20 pounds of hush puppies.  ( plus some shrimp and clams )
    I put together a “fans of the Cajun fryer” FB page to post cooks etc. 
    LBGE , 22.5 & 18 WSM, 26.25 Kettle, Jennair Gasser, & a plethora of mobile Webers 
    Avid Cubs - Jaguars - Seminole fan. 
    Jacksonville, FL
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Damnit something else I need to look into!!!!
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    blasting said:

Congrats.  I've been eyeballing that same 6 gallon fryer myself.  I'd love seeing some of your cooks - there's a lack of fryer cooks lately.

Thanks! I’ll definitely post some cooks.  The problem is limiting myself to a “healthy” amount of deep frying. Had the wing cook yesterday and woke up this morning wondering what to fry tonight.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Greeno55 said:
    woke up this morning wondering what to fry tonight.
    Pork chops. It almost goes without saying =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    And congrats on the new fryer. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Greeno55
    BBQbutler said:
    I love mine.    I have the 4 gallon two basket and use it weekly.     Even just for home made fries. 
    ‘I also purchased two 12 gallon Cajun jimmys for our men’s club at church.   We do 4 fish fries each lent.   Serve 200 dinners in two hours.  
    90 pounds of fish 75 pound sof fries and 20 pounds of hush puppies.  ( plus some shrimp and clams )
    I put together a “fans of the Cajun fryer” FB page to post cooks etc. 
    I originally wanted the 4 gallon. Figured it’d suit my needs better, but once it was ordered, the family surprised me with an upgrade to the the 6.  I had to think long and hard about keeping the bigger one as I’m not much of a deep fried turkey guy, and that to me was the only benefit of the larger one.  But upon several google searches, I found an old thread on here and someone said something that made a lot of sense ... better to have the extra space and not need it as opposed to needing it and not having it.  That 12 gallon one must be unreal!
  • Greeno55
    SGH said:
    And congrats on the new fryer. 
    Thanks brotha!  I was just looking at your thread with the boiler. Congrats to you as well!! R&V Works seems to make real quality products.  I’m already eyeing up their griddle.  Maybe I’ll be smart and hold off until next summer ... maybe.
  • SGH
    Greeno55 said:
    R&V Works seems to make real quality products.  
    They sure do. A couple of years ago when several folks on here started showing interest in deep fryers, I tried pushing them toward R&V for that very reason. Quality and function. Nothing against other brands, but when it comes to outdoor fryers, R&V is a tough act to follow. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited April 2018
    Greeno55 said:
    I’m already eyeing up their griddle.  Maybe I’ll be smart and hold off until next summer 
    The smart thing to do would be to go ahead and order it now while it’s fresh on your mind =)

Status- Standing by.

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Very Jealous.  How often do you have to change out the oil/clean it?
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 579
    How long does it take to come up to temp? Looks like a really well built unit.
  • Greeno55
    johnnyp said:
    How often do you have to change out the oil/clean it?
    From all the things I’ve read, seems like you filter it every 5 or so, and change after 25-30 cooks.  The design makes it stay really clean.  All the crumbs and other things that burn and ruin the oil fall below the heating flue where the oil doesn’t get very hot.
  • Greeno55

FrostyEgg said:
    How long does it take to come up to temp?
    Yesterday it was in the low 40s and I got it to 350° in 13 minutes.  I only know the exact time because it was the first time using it and I wanted to know.  Didn’t even have it fully cranked.  Once heated, I kept lowering it, and it still claimed even after putting cold food in.  Had the burner turned down quite a bit before it stopped climbing and stayed steady.  I’m gonna love this.