Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fried Chicken Friday ( sous vide twist )

Options
Hntnhrd
Hntnhrd Posts: 713
I have been really loving the sous vide. Great addition to The BGE but opens up a lot of options. I stumbled across the mention of Sousvide fried chicken and thought it would be a great thing, as most of my attempts at it have been fails. Either the chicken is under cooked or the coating is over cooked. This was a home run. Well cooked juicy chicken with a nice thin crispy coating. Definitely be added to the rotation 

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Homerun right there.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,735
    edited April 2018
    Options
    G*ddamn. That looks good.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Looks good! What was the water temp and how long in the water bath? Did this approximate KFC chicken from the old days? I liked it then. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    I went with 4 hours at 165. They were all big drums. I also had a bag full of Yukon gold potatoes that I turned into “Jo Jos” . That time and temp seemed to render out just the right amount of fat to keep them juicy but not greasy. I used tempura and egg wash so the coating was crispy but thin not as thick as KFC. I went light on seasoning so I need to kick that up a little next time.