Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PS Woo - School me

Options
Teefus
Teefus Posts: 1,208
Other than making it easier to get a hot plate setter out and letting you grille raised direct at the felt line, what does the PS Woo bring to the party? Will I see dramatically different results with direct grilling at the felt line rather than in the normal spot?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Michiana, South of the border.

Comments

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    Teefus said:
    Other than making it easier to get a hot plate setter out and letting you grille raised direct at the felt line, what does the PS Woo bring to the party? Will I see dramatically different results with direct grilling at the felt line rather than in the normal spot?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Will I see dramatically different results with direct grilling at the felt line rather than in the normal spot

Yes for certain cooks like Spatchcock Chicken

what does the PS Woo bring to the party?

My #1 thing for me is using half stones I can cook indirect and raised direct at the same time.  It allows me to cook cedar plank salmon on the indirect side and burgers or steaks (reverse sear) on the other.  I am set  up like below and I put nothing for raised direct, one half stone for direct/ indirect or two half stones for better coverage indirect (although Im still working out the air restrictions and temps).

I put my platesetter in after a cook this weekend for the first time in months- why?  I needed to burn the mold off it.  The only time I use the plate setter now is for Pizzas- I use it, then grid then put my Stone on the grid.

I spent an hour in the CGS store in Denton and with all their help came up with this and Im perfectly satisfied
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    The majority of my cooks are at the felt line or higher unless I am searing at high temps.  I find it easier to cook meats evenly and reduces flare-ups from marinades and fat dripping off the meat.  I use my PS Woo on just about every cook.  
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    In addition to the above, you can add the extender and D ring to get two level cooking or one level around 4" above the gasket line up into the dome.  
    Regarding your original question, I find I have more heat/control running direct cooks at the gasket line.  Dramatically different results...if you are happy with cooking on top of the ring right now then the extra few inches of grid height likely won't make a dramatic impact.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Teefus
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    In addition to the above, you can add the extender and D ring to get two level cooking or one level around 4" above the gasket line up into the dome.  
    Regarding your original question, I find I have more heat/control running direct cooks at the gasket line.  Dramatically different results...if you are happy with cooking on top of the ring right now then the extra few inches of grid height likely won't make a dramatic impact.  FWIW-
    I like the thought of cooking chicken raised direct. I've heard raised direct will make crispy skin easier to achieve. I've yet to be able to get crispy skin using the plate setter. It was easy on my Weber using an indirect setup. Just rub the skin with salt.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @Teefus - I will put the chix in the fridge over night to air-dry prior to the cook.  Yields crispy skin.  Another trick is to lightly dust with corn starch before putting on the BGE.  Give it a try.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Teefus
    Options
    I've tried both without success. On my Weber the skin transforms to potato chip grade crispness. On the Egg it gets tender but not crisp.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    It's also great for Wok cooking since it includes the spider so it'll allow your wok sit right above the coals.   I use a CI grid from a large on the spider over a fire ring from a 18.5"WSM for the searing portion of the reverse sear method for steaks.    Also see where you can reverse it and sit a stone just above the felt line for pizza which is something I have not gotten around to trying...kinda like installing that Rutland gasket.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    I was cooking a lot at the felt line using some bricks to raise the grid.  Then I snapped off one leg of my plate setter, making difficult to do raised indirect. So for me the PS woo has two benefits - allows me to cook indirect w/out buying new stone, and enables me to cook at the felt line w/ out bricks.  I would like to get some half stones though and mimic @xfire_ATX 's setup.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited April 2018
    Options
    If you have a spider, a stone for indirect, and  another grid you can use the PS Woo without the PS as a way to get another tier.  Here’s an example: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1147604/baby-backs-a-butt-cook#latest.  Add the PS woo extender and you could do 3 tiers for items that aren’t too tall.  Pizza cooks work well at the higher levels as well.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Spillin
    Spillin Posts: 75
    Options
    I have one and love it.  Like @lousubcap said earlier if you get the extender you can do two tier cooks. Also if you like to make pizzas raising the pizza stone up into the dome really works well.  
    LG BGE
    36" Blackstone
    Weber Genisis
    Cold IPA on tap!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    For the same result as raised direct, place the grid in the normal position (on fire ring) and just use less lump. Distance between heat and food is the same as it is with more lump, raised grid. 

As for crispy skin, if you were happy with the skin on the Weber, umm, just use the Weber for chicken. The egg is a good all around cooker. Lots of things it's not the best at. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut