Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Clean Burn

Opened both vents & she’s pushing 700...have a new Rutland gasket to install so doing a clean burn 1st. 

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    edited April 2018
    May be too late now, but rather than chance messing up your SmokeWare go ahead and remove it. If by chance you still had that spring clip on the probe stem it may be too late. Sorry that you didn't ask for opinions about removing those spring clips which are NOT needed anyway since gravity keeps the thermometer in place without that clip.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    Might want to keep an eye on your temps and keep them around 700 degrees.  I inadvertently let the temps get away from me when I walked away and got sidetracked for a bit during a “clean burn” last year.  When I checked back later the thermometer was well past 700 degrees and I ended up with a cracked base for my troubles.  My dealer replaced the cracked base under warranty, but it was a hassle I could have done without.
    XL  Central Ohio
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Yep...too late.   
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    That through the chimney shot is clutch.
    Mountain View, CA
  • RRP
    Sorry to hear you had a problem, but BGE for years has tested their eggs by running up to 1,200 degrees and then dumping a bucket of ice in to test for the fracture and they do NOT crack. The chance that someone blows out an outer shell says there was a problem with that egg in the first place.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320
    Cyclic stress over time does lead to issues not found on a one-off test.  But if you stay at the 700*F or so temp you will likely dodge a bullet this time.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SSQUAL612
    Might want to keep an eye on your temps and keep them around 700 degrees.  I inadvertently let the temps get away from me when I walked away and got sidetracked for a bit during a “clean burn” last year.  When I checked back later the thermometer was well past 700 degrees and I ended up with a cracked base for my troubles.  My dealer replaced the cracked base under warranty, but it was a hassle I could have done without.
    Thanks Uncle Billy....she stayed at 700 for about an hour and a 1/2 and now she’s slowly cooling down.  Cracked base does sound like a hassle so hopefully I’m safe. 
  • UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    My cracked base may well have been fluke or manufacturing defect, just glad BGE offers the warranty to cover such situations!  

BTW Ron, I bought a gasket from you a few month ago, the instructions for removing the old gasket and installing the new were clear and easily understandable, even for those of us with little to no DIY chops.  The new gasket works like a champ.  So I thank you for the valuable service you offer to us here on the forum!  
    XL  Central Ohio

• Dont listen to the haters. Burn. It. Down. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• RRP
    My cracked base may well have been fluke or manufacturing defect, just glad BGE offers the warranty to cover such situations!  A

BTW Ron, I bought a gasket from you a few month ago, the instructions for removing the old gasket and installing the new were clear and easily understandable, even for those of us with little to no DIY chops.  The new gasket works like a champ.  So I thank you for the valuable service you offer to us here on the forum!  
    Thank you. 
  • Jonnysouth
    Jonnysouth Posts: 162
    I was sort of doing one as well since I had some mold developing inside....stayed between 600-700° and then heard a”pop” and a chunk of the green layer popped off. Anything to be concerned about or just let it ride?
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    @RRP I have had two bases and two domes crack. Several fireboxes. Never the ring though. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• SSQUAL612
    @Jonnysouth  I’d defer to others who have had more experience since this is my first clean burn, but I would be concerned if my dome was cracked. 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Burn baby burn
    One of features that caused me to buy the bge was that they used space age technology in ceramic development resulting in materials able to withstand temps in excess of 2100F and thousands of heat and cooling cycles

So, if youre the original owner, fear not.  Youre covered
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,427
    @Jonnysouth

That is covered under warranty
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    I was sort of doing one as well since I had some mold developing inside....stayed between 600-700° and then heard a”pop” and a chunk of the green layer popped off. Anything to be concerned about or just let it ride?
    It's nothing to be too concerned about.  I would however start the warranty process and then hold onto the new one until your current one is not longer usable.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    I'm not a fan of clean burns.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Jonnysouth
    Jonnysouth Posts: 162
    Thanks for the insight gents. I’ve had to replace 2 cracked bases before and warranty has never been an issue. Ever since my last cracked base, I seldom ever even get to 500°....with the mold forming inside, maybe I should have just gone up to about 500° and let it ride there for awhile. I guess it’s my fault for neglecting her so long for mold to start growing. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Mold is inevitable.  400 degrees eliminates it.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    I am running the crap out of my XL.  Do a clean burn every 5 cooks.  Have been doing it for 2 years. A torture test.  I plan to run it till I go to the nursing home, so my local dealer might as well get ready for any warranty issues that come along!
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    RRP said:
    Sorry to hear you had a problem, but BGE for years has tested their eggs by running up to 1,200 degrees and then dumping a bucket of ice in to test for the fracture and they do NOT crack. The chance that someone blows out an outer shell says there was a problem with that egg in the first place.
    He is 100% correct BGE test them as he stated. I know a person that worked at BGE in Atlanta, the egg is tough as nails and if taking one to high temps causes a crack it was going to crack sooner or later probably to a flaw in the process. That is why you get a lifetime on the ceramics.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320
    Mold is only inevitable due to infrequent use.  Even L&S cooks will manage the mold.  
    @littlerascal56 - Your BGE but every five cooks...curious as to any warranty claims in the two years.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    No issues since purchasing 2 years ago on my XL!  Replaced the firebox on my Kamado Joe large this past year, but the BGE has performed beyond my expectations, especially considering I use it 3 times a week. It’s my workhorse of cookers for sure!