Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salt Encrusted Whole Red Snapper

2»

Comments

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Brent... not much more to say beyond the prior comments!

Another one knocked out of the park!!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    NIce job Brent, we will be trying this one for sure.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Bravo sir!  
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Looks like a noble effort there Brent. You know where I stand on fish...but had I been there, would have tried. No you an N enjoyed!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Brent... not much more to say beyond the prior comments!

Another one knocked out of the park!!!
    Bravo sir!  
    Thanks brothers.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Absolutly a beautiful cook. How many pounds was your Snapper?
    I grilled whole Snapper a few years ago at the Texas Eggfest.
    Mine was an impressive looking cook...but honestly, it was a smokey, embarrasing mess! Epic fail.lol
    You give me hope to try something new.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Beautiful cook right there, thanks for sharing 
  • bgebrent
    Photo Egg said:
    Absolutly a beautiful cook. How many pounds was your Snapper?
    I grilled whole Snapper a few years ago at the Texas Eggfest.
    Mine was an impressive looking cook...but honestly, it was a smokey, embarrasing mess! Epic fail.lol
    You give me hope to try something new.
    Thanks brother.  This was a 2# fish.  Perfect for 2.  And this is another one we really liked.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1211699/whole-grilled-marinated-red-snapper/p1
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @bgebrent
    Simply awesome ole buddy. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    SGH said:
    @bgebrent
    Simply awesome ole buddy. 

thank you Scottie!
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
     Now I know what to try for my next wood oven adventure. Man-o-man that looks good. How do you know how long to cook it? I’m assuming the mass of the salt takes some time to heat up, and I’m guessing there is carry over heat up until you crack the salt dome. I’m thinking a thermapen won’t poke through the salt. So what’s the magic answer?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Looks delicious.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    SciAggie said:
     Now I know what to try for my next wood oven adventure. Man-o-man that looks good. How do you know how long to cook it? I’m assuming the mass of the salt takes some time to heat up, and I’m guessing there is carry over heat up until you crack the salt dome. I’m thinking a thermapen won’t poke through the salt. So what’s the magic answer?
    When I did my tenderloin, I sunk my Polder thermo probe into the meat as it went into the oven; no reason you couldn't do this with fish, too.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• SciAggie
    Botch said:
    SciAggie said:
    When I did my tenderloin, I sunk my Polder thermo probe into the meat as it went into the oven; no reason you couldn't do this with fish, too.  
    Awesome! I get to buy more stuff, lol. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    SciAggie said:
    Great question.  I bet on a time based on the 2# fish.  The salt crust buys a little and adds to carryover as you surmise.    I cooked the 2# fish for 35 minutes on the egg at 425 degrees.  Fortunately was perfect.  Should be similar in your WO.  What time should I arrive....
  • SciAggie
    bgebrent said:
    SciAggie said:
    Great question.  I bet on a time based on the 2# fish.  The salt crust buys a little and adds to carryover as you surmise.    I cooked the 2# fish for 35 minutes on the egg at 425 degrees.  Fortunately was perfect.  Should be similar in your WO.  What time should I arrive....
    You bring some fish, I’ll supply the wine. We’ll cook. Come anytime. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    SciAggie said:
    bgebrent said:
    SciAggie said:
    You bring some fish, I’ll supply the wine. We’ll cook. Come anytime. 
    You sir have a deal.  One day soon.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Very nice looking meal Brent.  Love new techniques.  
    Phoenix