Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which would you perfer?

Options

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    People keep mentioning lump capacity as a benefit of the small, but isn’t the point of the smaller eggs in general to save on start up time and save on lump usage? Lump usage seems to be my main factor in justifying a  mmx or small 
    The MM cooks similar to the mini. The small cooks like it's bigger siblings. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RustyBeavers
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    People keep mentioning lump capacity as a benefit of the small, but isn’t the point of the smaller eggs in general to save on start up time and save on lump usage? Lump usage seems to be my main factor in justifying a  mmx or small 
    Ya... I assume temp control can be hard on The minimax??
    Dallas, TX

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Millay holds the temps very well. You just have to get used to the airflow and temp control with it. I think it doesn’t hold the lower temps as well as the larger eggs, but it works great format 350+ degrees.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • WeberWho
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Ya... I assume temp control can be hard on The minimax??
    It might be a little different depending on what size you're coming from. (You still can do low and slow with the MM and Mini) The biggest difference is cooking right over lump with the MiniMax and Mini. Timing and internal temp will be the biggest difference compared to something bigger. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Wait till Wal-Mart or Amazon has a sale on Akorn Jr for $90.   It’s easy on the budget & great for smaller cooks. 
    Got mine for $74 last July. Sorry I did not get two. Love It .All I use . Since July used Large BGE once. I live alone ,on weekends cook for two. Perfect for one or two. Start up and cool down is pretty quick compared to Large Egg . Still love the Egg but the JR. is so easy .
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    edited April 2018
    Options
    This is what my JR looks like now with some real ugly mods .It's all about function . Smokeware cap was used to get TipTop installed . Works great ,ugly as hell . You can do that when you live alone !!

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I have a Large and was looking for something smaller and portable. Almost went with the minimax after it came out but decided to go with the KJ Junior. Comes with everything I would need like spider and indirect ceramic heat deflector and the spider raises grate to felt level. And the price is great. I'd say the size is more inbetween a MM and a small. Picked up at the KJ Roadshow at Costco. I cook on it more than I do the Large since I mostly cook for 2. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    I have a large and a small.  There are only two in my household. But still,the small sat dormant for years.  Last summer I purchased the woo ring with stone from CGS and the small is now my go to outside cooker. Can’t coment on the others, but I have a new found love for my small.

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have a minimax, and the XL. I bought the MM for tailgating, camping and travel.

I have yet to be disappointed. I use it now for cooks for My Beautiful Wife and I, almost exclusively. I can get an easy 8-9 hours (have had longer) at low temps with the MM using a load of lump.

The XL does the longer low and slows mostly,
    and for our dinner parties. It gets a workout.

My next will be a medium.

Of the three you mentioned, the minimax is my favorite.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GregC
    GregC Posts: 91
    Options
    We live in Alabaster, Al.

i did find the Georgia Mountain Eggfest May 18-19
    http://www.mountainegg.com/

But it looks like we have a family get together that day. I think I’ll watch craigslist and see if I can find a used one.  Think I’ll be the small or MiniMax which ever I find first ata good price.

Note: just had a buddy pick up a large BGE for $350, it was missing the ceramic damper and the metal top. 

Thanks for all all your thoughts and comments.

WeberWho said:
    GregC said:
    WeberWho said:
    GregC said:
    Another consideration.......

small: $773 plus tax
    miniMax: $538 plus tax
    Any eggfests near you?
    None that I’ve seen 
    Where you located? Maybe someone will know of one

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    I have an XL and added a small a few years ago.  After one year I sold the small.  It took forever to get to temp.  I don't know what I was doing wrong but it frustrated the heck out of me.  Others here obviously love it.  I suggest getting a medium.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Compared to a large or XL, yes.  The small and mmx have the same size cooking grid and weigh about the same.  The charcoal consumption rate for these two should be close.  The larger lump capacity means that the small can burn longer, at any given temp, than the mmx.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    I like my XL with the CGS charcoal ring for small cooks or the 22 webber for quick cooks and portability.   could never justify another egg versus some other options such as a good pellet smoker or blackstone
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    i use the mini the most mid week, it lights fast. as mentioned my small took forever to light, i gave it away.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Small, hands down.
    High Que charcoal grid and Woo are a must.  
    No issues getting high temps here.

Like @WeberWho stated, it's the smaller sibling.

I have an Akown Jr, it's good at grilling hot and fast, but like the MM, lump heat is in close proximity....too close IMO.  Much more control, consistency, the further your protein can be from the fire.

A Weber Jumbo Joe is a solid option.
    A 14.5 WSM is a gem too.  From smoking to raised direct or indirect, it's not one dimensional.

I struggle with a 12" grid at times.  The mini is a toy skillet to me.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Agree with @QDude and @fishlessman about small taking forever to heat up, sold mine few years ago. IMO the tiny fire grate and oversized platesetter contributed to the problem.  
    canuckland
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Agree with @QDude and @fishlessman about small taking forever to heat up, sold mine few years ago. IMO the tiny fire grate and oversized platesetter contributed to the problem.  
    i can be searing in the mini in 10 minutes, the small i was looking at between 30 and 45 minutes
    fukahwee maine

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I think my next investment is going to be a PBC to see what all the buzz is about.  I do agree with Focker on the WSM...I have a 18.5 and there are certain things that I love on the WSM...chicken is one that everyone raves about...especially a grid full of thighs.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I used to have a Large and a small which was perfect for the deck, I like to travel
    with an egg so I sold the small and bought a minimax. Of your three choices the small is the best option if not traveling with an egg.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I’ve got the L,S and mini.  It’s just Mrs3969 and myself during the week and generally my daughter and her 2 gobble guts attest one meal 2-3 weekends a month.  The large catches the big protein cooks on the weekend and the mini catches our protein during the week unless I wok something.  The small hasn’t been lit in prolly a month, I need to fix that.   

The mini is great to travel with. Our last beach vacation I cooked protein for 6 adults.  It was in stages but worked great. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    I think my next investment is going to be a PBC to see what all the buzz is about.  I do agree with Focker on the WSM...I have a 18.5 and there are certain things that I love on the WSM...chicken is one that everyone raves about...especially a grid full of thighs.
    Just saw this deal with the chimney starter and half bag of K for $80.  Like a stray dog, hard not to take it home and clean it up.

https://quadcities.craigslist.org/for/d/weber-smoker/6554380103.html

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Why would you want a PBC when you already have an18" WSM?

I can't think of anything offhand that the PBC can do that the WSM can't also do.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SSQUAL612
    edited April 2018
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Why would you want a PBC when you already have an18" WSM?

I can't think of anything offhand that the PBC can do that the WSM can't also do.
    That settles it...now I don’t want one.  
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    Focker said:
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Just saw this deal with the chimney starter and half bag of K for $80.  Like a stray dog, hard not to take it home and clean it up.

That’s a great deal...you know you’ll use it.  Even SWMBO can’t argue with that price.
  • WeberWho
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Focker said:
    SSQUAL612 said:

That’s a great deal...you know you’ll use it.  Even SWMBO can’t argue with that price.
    I think Focker has it covered.  =)

Minnesota
  • bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 466
    Options
    i can be searing in the mini in 10 minutes, the small i was looking at between 30 and 45 minutes
    Y'all need to use that time effectively and have a nice cold frosty adult beverage while waiting for proper temps...just saying... 
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• fishlessman
    Options
    Y'all need to use that time effectively and have a nice cold frosty adult beverage while waiting for proper temps...just saying... 
    10 minutes just means i drink the first two faster, it also means i can drive 3 miles home from work, light, cook, eat, and drive back to work during lunch
    fukahwee maine

• GregC
    Options
    Purchased the MiniMax yesterday, attempted to assemble today but it was missing 2screws and 3bolts. So it’ll be tomorrow before I get to heat that baby up. Will report later after first cook.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    blasting said:

It's kinda funny that most of us ignored your parameters.

I'm gonna ignore them too, and vote for a medium.  For portability, I'd prefer a kettle.
    +1
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • GregC
    Options
    Went ahead and picked up a MiniMax a couple of weeks, I’ve cooked on it 5 times now. For us I can say it was the right decision. Cooked burgers, chicken, pork chops and NY Strips, all came out as good as on the large we have.
    When I get the lump good and red, close the lid, it’ll hit 350 deg in about 4 minutes.
    i woundered what to do about a table to place it on, came up with the idea concrete block. Stacked then 2 by 2 - 4 high with cap block and painted the black. Works well. I’m a happy camper.

got it for $524 plus tax, best I could do was $843 plus tax on a small.........