Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - black stone hibachi

slovelad
slovelad Posts: 1,742
anyoen have recommendations for seasonings to use or recipes for home made hibachi.

i have made it a dozen times, but never get that true authentic flavor. 

Ive heard of using white pepper? 

Many thoughts will help!

(for your viewing pleasure, here is one of my hibachi cooks last year)

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Way more Soy Sauce than anyone dares to use at home?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    dont know what traditional is, i would go with a thai dipping sauce.
    3 parts fish sauce, 2 parts soy, 1 part lime juice, then add things like garlic, thai or red pepper flakes, green onions, maybe some ginger
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    edited April 2018
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    A Hibachi is a cooker, not food. =) You mean teppanyaki.

I just came across these recently and haven't tried them, but looks and sounds WONDERFUL! By @NibbleMeThis.

http://www.nibblemethis.com/2015/12/teppanyaki-steak-and-scallops.html
    http://www.nibblemethis.com/2009/05/japanese-steakhouse-golden-shrimp-sauce.html

I tried Youtube and there are videos of the Benihana guys doing it, but you can't tell what they're using.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    edited April 2018
    @Carolina Q in Merica is hibachi

but seriously, thanks for the link
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    That much food on the griddle drops the temp where you don't get that "wok hei" flavor...
    edited April 2018
    Like nola said, I think the BS is great, but nowhere near the firepower of a commercial griddle one would use at a Benihana.  Even the Mexican grocer griddle has a Star, where plate thickness can be 1"!  That is some wok hei type heat transfer.

On blast, I think the BS is about 100 degrees or so more, away from that.  It is a great home unit, but you risk warping with the thinner steel.  It's more of a high heat saute IMO, nothing wrong with that..

My brother has a 1/4" steel Mojo griddle for his kettle.  It gets super wok hei hot.  There is a smell when you reach wok hei, and it is lovely.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,326
    Well...you'll never get "true" wok hei on a flat top griddle. To achieve "true" wok hei you need an open flame. The open flame is needed to ignite the fine mist of oil droplets when the food is being tossed.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Hip hop wok hei!
    ho!
    hei!
    ho!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    HeavyG said:
    Well...you'll never get "true" wok hei on a flat top griddle. To achieve "true" wok hei you need an open flame. The open flame is needed to ignite the fine mist of oil droplets when the food is being tossed.

Help me out here, do you invert the wok at just the right time to achieve this?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    Mountain View, CA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831

As for teppanyaki cooks, I don't know if the Japanese have a term for the Chinese "wok hei". Huh?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Photo Egg said:
    And metric sh!t tons of butter too for that authentic (American) Japanese steakhouse flavor. Also, mix some sesame oil in with your regular oil to get that flavor. 

Im sure a Japanese person would not understand just wtf was going on if they saw all that butter and soy sauce going on their food. And they may just punch someone in the face if they saw the choo-choo train/olcano onion. But...this here is Merica and we do what we want. 

This has been our favorite family birthday meal
    simce my kids were young. I dont love the food anymore but I still laugh at all the jokes and I will catch a damn shrimp in my mouth if you get it anywhere near me.  
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Sooooo, wok hei cannot be achieved without doing this?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Photo Egg said:
     And they may just punch someone in the face if they saw the choo-choo train/volcano onion. 
    lol...that's damn funny.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • tenpenny_05
    tenpenny_05 Posts: 286
    I second the **** loads of butter and soy sauce
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    I'm on board with others buddy, more soy sauce, butter, and BTUs/more robust design.  

The BS is nice, but for true authentic, you'd need more BTUs.  

For chicken, they add teriyaki to theirs, so maybe try that.  

I try to do things in batches to minimize the strain of bringing temps down.  This helps a lot, and end up finishing the protein last.  

A little sesame oil would help as well.  

Also, in your picture, it may help to have the BS on.   =)

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    tarheelmatt said: 

Also, in your picture, it may help to have the BS on.   =)

And there’s no beer in the picture. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”