Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smobot Owners

Probably going to pull the trigger on a Smobot, but have a question before I do. I have 2 XL’s, but they’re at different houses. Is it easy enough to move the Smobot between eggs? I’m figuring I can set it up on one DW and move that DW between eggs, with the controller of course. Am I barking up the right tree here? 

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    No you'll need to buy two. But I'll need you to send the second my way. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    Super easy.  Just take the Daisy wheel and unit with you.  As easy as taking it off and putting it on.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Super simple.  Yes, use the same one for both.
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    That’s what I figured...I’m in! 
  • Jeremiah
    So I'm guessing that's a no?...
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited April 2018
    Easy - and you will be glad you pulled the trigger 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • CornfedMA
    Jeremiah said:
    I believe I’ll quote my Gramps on this one-
    “Son, everybody likes a piece of a**. No one likes a smart a**.”  =)
  • Jeremiah
    CornfedMA said:
    Jeremiah said:
    I knew there was a reason I don't have any friends...damnit. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Jeremiah said:
    CornfedMA said:
    Jeremiah said:
    Count me as a friend azshole. ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    bgebrent said:
    Jeremiah said:
    CornfedMA said:
    Jeremiah said:
    A friend's azshole?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    bgebrent said:
    Jeremiah said:
    CornfedMA said:
    Jeremiah said:
    A friend's azshole?
    Literacy, it’s whats lacking here.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    Jeremiah said:
    CornfedMA said:
    Jeremiah said:
    A friend's azshole?
    Literacy, it’s whats lacking here.
    Remember, if someone misinterprets what you say, it is your fault for not communicating properly.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    @Jeremiah
    I am your friend. I can look past the moss beer.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    The only issue you might have with moving a Smobot from house to house would be if you're using the cloud functionality rather than an ad hoc network. If that's the case you'd have to swap the SSID/pass info around at each place.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    baychilla said:
    The only issue you might have with moving a Smobot from house to house would be if you're using the cloud functionality rather than an ad hoc network. If that's the case you'd have to swap the SSID/pass info around at each place.
    I have used my smobot outside of my house a lot. I don’t even bother use the WiFi connection when I do. I just use it locally on the controller.

i wouldn’t hesitate to do it, if WiFi was available though. 
  • CornfedMA
    stompbox said:
    baychilla said:
    I have used my smobot outside of my house a lot. I don’t even bother use the WiFi connection when I do. I just use it locally on the controller.

i wouldn’t hesitate to do it, if WiFi was available though. 
    Good news. I read the post from baychilla and was gonna ask for an IT to English translation. I’ll order it tonight. Thanks everybody. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Suit yourself, Scott. But how often do you do an overnight cook anyway? Even when I did them, it was only 2-3 times a year. I didn't use my controller for other cooks and now I turbo during the day instead of lo n slo overnight. I almost never use my 7 year old non wifi DigiQ any more (though it has always worked just fine... and still does). Never did use it enough to justify the cost.  If I knew then what I know now, I'd have saved $300-ish. Hey, I was new here. Oh well.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• CornfedMA
    Suit yourself, Scott. But how often do you do an overnight cook anyway? Even when I did them, it was only 2-3 times a year. I didn't use my controller for other cooks and now I turbo during the day instead of lo n slo overnight. I almost never use my 7 year old non wifi DigiQ any more (though it has always worked just fine... and still does). Never did use it enough to justify the cost.  If I knew then what I know now, I'd have saved $300-ish. Hey, I was new here. Oh well.
    I hear ya. It’s not really about the overnight cooks for me. The main reason I want one is so I can “set it and forget it” during long daytime cooks, especially at the beach house. I like the idea that I can get into a project or head down to the beach with fam without really having to physically check on the thing. 
  • jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    Sounds like you've made your decision here (a good one), but just to chime in, I always install my Smobot if I'm using it for a cook, then remove it afterwards.  It's one screw, takes all of one minute.  I realize you can leave your Smobot on all the time and adjust it manually for "normal" cooks, but given how easy it is to take on and off I prefer to keep it in the box when not in use.  @baychilla brought up a very wise point, you will want to use the same SSID at both houses if you don't already for WiFi connection.
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Good call.  I run manual most times, and have left all of my cookers unattended at some point, even a live fire fed KBQ....but it's those few times, where you leave for 3 hours and come back to the same pit temp, that make it worth every penny to me.  An insurance policy worth having IMO.  Ham, turkey, butts, ribs, first stage of a chuck roast, are examples of my other uses.  It's not only for overnighters.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."