Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First wok cook

Options
First wok cook is in the books.  Beef & broccoli Lo Mein.  Thanks to everyone here on the Forum for the advice to call CGS & thanks to Terry at the Ceramic Grill Store for helping me put together a great set up!  As has been stated on here numerous times - Ceramic Grill Store has top notch products & customer service to match.
XL  Central Ohio

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Nice cook!! Welcome to the wok side of life.  I love wokkin on the egg. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Options
    Yes. The CGS is a great resource. I got my wok from them as well, and it’s one of my favorite ways to cook on the BGE. Fried rice and stir fry are huge winners here. 
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    Looks awesome! Love some beef lo mein 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    The wok is a great tool to have in the arsenal. I use mine frequently in the warmer months outside on the egg. The fresh veggies of the summer make great stir frys that are healthy and less heavy. Hope you will enjoy it!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I got to get me that set up. Beautiful cook.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Nicely done. It looks delicious. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I got to get me that set up. Beautiful cook.
    +1 ... and it's getting harder to resist, even with the shipping charges.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    I always chicken out of woking on the egg and either go inside or on a turkey fryer.... I just think it would be hard to get it not to be tooooo hot, tooooo hot for my hands reaching over to the wok, or worse, have flames coming up. ?
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Twice a week for me, thanks for sharing!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    stompbox said:
    I always chicken out of woking on the egg and either go inside or on a turkey fryer.... I just think it would be hard to get it not to be tooooo hot, tooooo hot for my hands reaching over to the wok, or worse, have flames coming up. ?
    Wok on the egg once, and your fears will be allayed. It’s hard to get a wok too hot, you’re mixing stuff constantly, so nothing really burns. Most people don’t have their wok hot enough when they cook. 
    I have a long-handled wooden spoon that I use when wokking. Keeps my arms from hovering over the fire for too long. I get the egg stabilized at around 600, then shut the lower vent and leave the top open. Never had a problem with flare-ups. 
    It’s a fun way to cook. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    Options
    I didn’t have any flare ups either, the heat was a bit much on my hand occasionally.  I just put on my welding gloves.  I have a long handled wok spatula and ladle.  
    XL  Central Ohio
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Dang brother, looks delicious! I got a CGS wok for xmas that I haven't seasoned yet, I need to get on that!
    LBGE
    AL
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    I have had a wok for over a yr and have not tried it. Tonight might be the night 
    anyone care to share the technique they use
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    JMCXL said:
    I have had a wok for over a yr and have not tried it. Tonight might be the night 
    What are you planning on cooking?
    I get my egg stabilized at around 600. While that’s happening, I get all my ingredients together and ready to go. It’s a fast cook that you don’t want to walk away from, so have what you need right there with you. 
    I use a spider and wok, drop it in there, shut the bottom vent and let the wok get hot. I leave the lid up from now on. Once some oil starts dancing in the wok, start cooking. The order depends on the meal, but it’s usually some form of protein until it’s about halfway done, veggies, add the protein back until it’s done. 
    Enjoy!
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Great job!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    Options
    Huzzah! I found somewhere in the UK that sells CGS style woks and rigs, have some on order. Once again, this forum hits the wallet ... :D
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    JMCXL said:
    What are you planning on cooking?
    I get my egg stabilized at around 600. While that’s happening, I get all my ingredients together and ready to go. It’s a fast cook that you don’t want to walk away from, so have what you need right there with you. 
    I use a spider and wok, drop it in there, shut the bottom vent and let the wok get hot. I leave the lid up from now on. Once some oil starts dancing in the wok, start cooking. The order depends on the meal, but it’s usually some form of protein until it’s about halfway done, veggies, add the protein back until it’s done. 
    Enjoy!
    Think it would be Chicken with veggies, will follow above and post pictures. thanks for the help...
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/