Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick ET-733 a pain to use.

Options
epcotisbest
epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
edited April 2018 in EggHead Forum
So I got up real early to put on a couple of butts for later this evening and one of the probes in my old reliable ET-732 is shot. Luckily, I bought an ET-733 awhile back when it was on sale at Amazon. I set it aside and had not even opened it. 
Remembering the new Maverick was around here somewhere, I dug it out, put batteries in it and started the programming following the directions word for word. The dang thing would not allow me to set the high and low warnings for either probe. The readout is too small as well.
Now maybe I was just in a hurry and a bit impatient, but after about 30 minutes of frustration, I just tossed the 733, plugged its new probes into my old 732 and went on with my smoking.
No need for something to be such a pain. I will give the new 733 to my younger brother, who is more patient than I am, and order a Smoke. Been wanting one anyway. Rant over.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    It’s the worst one. Hate mine. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,344
    Options
    Agreed. It's terrible...I recently replaced mine with a Smoke. Could not be happier 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    I took the same route, except I never did have an "old reliable" 732; it failed after just a couple uses, and it too was difficult to program, compared to my Smoke.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• kjs
    kjs Posts: 111
    Options
    I don’t know if I had a 732 or 733 but whatever it was I hated it. So damn hard to set your temps. Bought a Smoke and couldn’t be happier. It’s so easy to use.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I had to use mine today for the first time in Forever right after I read this. What a piece of crap. I have to re-read the manual every time I use it and it’s still a pita to get it right. 
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I had to use mine today for the first time in Forever right after I read this. What a piece of crap. I have to re-read the manual every time I use it and it’s still a pita to get it right. 
    Yeah, reading the manual, doing exactly what it said and not getting it to do what was supposed to be the next step lead to my frustration. Maybe I just did not understand and was doing something out of step, but no matter, I'm still not gonna use it. Gotta order that Smoke for the next cook. Luckily, the old 732 with the new probes off the 733 is working for today's cook.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Yeah, reading the manual, doing exactly what it said and not getting it to do what was supposed to be the next step lead to my frustration. Maybe I just did not understand and was doing something out of step, but no matter, I'm still not gonna use it. Gotta order that Smoke for the next cook.
    This is my last time as well. I sold my cyber q with one of my eggs and had this thing collecting dust in a drawer. I got it going but it’s way more difficult than it needs to be. And I don’thave use for anything that sets the default temp to USDA guidelines. 
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    I abandoned mine in favor of the igrill2. Range isn’t nearly as good, but programming isn’t a PITA. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .