Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket is in on the Egg---

Options
pileit1971
pileit1971 Posts: 136
edited April 2018 in EggHead Forum
Well decided to take the plunge and use easter as my launching off platform and try my first brisket....

Here is what I have so far...

Started with a 16# Prime Cut Brisket from Costco

Read as much as I could on here and watched some of the Franklin BBQ videos...

Started Trimming, and 5.5# lighter I was left with the first and second picture below.... took off all the 'hard' fat, and on the top, got a little to close in a couple places, will see how it goes...

Is that amount about right for trimming???  Know it definitely varies on cut of meat, etc....

Know Franklin just likes Salt and Pepper rub, but decided to try Dizzy Dust on this first one....went in fridge like this for a few hours...

Got the LBGE set up with the AR Rig (love that thing BTW), had trouble getting the temp under control with my Flame Boss, it spiked up around 300, looked up that I had the top vent open too much and get it settled back down...

I ended up setting up a water bath, heard the for and against, and decided to use it for this first one, at least during the late night portion...

This was just before putting it on around 11pm tonight....

Will see how it goes and will try to keep it updated thru the day...
Large BGE
Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio

Comments

• pileit1971
    Options
    And got to say, the flame boss makes this soo much easier, I know its an investment, but these late night cooks are a breeze with this thing....

Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    That’s an aggressive trim.  You should still be rewarded.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Gonna be a great ride but it looks like the probes are in the point based on the pic.  That's no problem, but the key to the finish is the feel in the thick part of the flat.  
    Most use the temp in the flat to decide when to start looking for the "probes like buttah" feel.  Start checking in the high 190's (flat temp) and there around every 30 minutes or so til there.  "There" will likely be in the low 200's*F.  f
    FWIW-
    And pay no attention to the temp for the point-it will be just fine whenever the flat declares victory.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Gonna be a great ride but it looks like the probes are in the point based on the pic.  That's no problem, but the key to the finish is the feel in the thick part of the flat.  
    Most use the temp in the flat to decide when to start looking for the "probes like buttah" feel.  Start checking in the high 190's (flat temp) and there around every 30 minutes or so til there.  "There" will likely be in the low 200's*F.  f
    FWIW-
    And pay no attention to the temp for the point-it will be just fine whenever the flat declares victory.  
    This.
  • pileit1971
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    FWIW-
    So in the pic above with the probes, should they be more in the 'center' of the brisket that I have?
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • bgebrent
    Options
    You want your temp probe in the flat, near the point.  The thick part of the flat.  The point will enjoy the ride.
  • pileit1971
    Options
    So update at 9am...

First Happy Easter Everyone!

This is what she looks like, I moved the probes...

Here is the overview of the night, a couple observations with some questions...

1. I would have thought there would be a little more 'shrinkage'?

2. What temp does the 'stall' begin at?  Seems like its been hovering around 155 for a while?

3.  my pit temp prob is over the open part, I noticed the doom temp reading was only around 200, so I increased the pit temp setting to 275, assuming this will be okay?

Anything else I should be doing besides making a drink?
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    You are in the stall.. Which is evaporation (and shrinkage). You can bump to 275-300 to push over the stall or let it ride.  If you can, a good 2hrs - 4hrs  FTC is what I'd recommend - so whatever that math works out to be. Just be sure to pull when it probes right - let the cow determine the cook time.  (note some don't FTC, but they all let the cow drive the cook).  

Remember you are the harshest critic.  Also, you've been soaking in smoke all night.  You may think it's not smokey enough, but you're gauge is off.  You're setup for a good meal!

PS - fancy folks use pink butcher paper to wrap the last part of the cook, but also have mustaches and go to barbers with real credentials for a straight blade shave, wear bow ties & suspenders with shorts. (and listen to Ed Sheeran and "new" stuff from an obscure past legend).

Happy  Easter!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • pileit1971
    Options
    I am shooting for a 5-6pm dinner time..... I understand its not an exact science... as you said let the cow determine the cook time...

Thinking I should increase the temp to about 300 to about lunch time then wrap for another 2-3 hours, depending on temp.... then FTC for the rest of the time...

Also for wrapping, wasn't able to get pink butcher paper, but was reading up, does 'parchment' paper work as as substitute?  as long as it doesn't have any additional additives, layers, etcs...?
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • sumoconnell
    Options
    I wouldn't use parchment - it's infused with wax (or something) you don't want.  You have a good plan - Bump to 300, cook until done, FTC the rest of the time. No need to wrap on the BGE unless you have the pink paper hipster method.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Here's some info regarding wrapping:
    Here's a link to a Franklin video that addresses wrapping, foil or paper or running nekked to the finish-line.

Wrapping is done for a couple of reasons-to get thru the stall and accelerate the cook(foil is the deal for that endeavor) or preserve the bark  (butcher paper for that) or not at all. 

Paper grocery bag will serve as a good butcher paper substitute if you feel the need to wrap.  

Patience is the watchword here.  Enjoy the remainder of the cook and follow-on eats.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Regarding your pit probe placement, if you want a better read on the temp your brisket is seeing, I'd move the pit probe to where it is over the pan but at least an inch away from the meat (too close and you get lower readings from the meat temp).  It doesn't look like you have a lot of room for the pit probes other than towards the back to the sides of the point.

Your brisket was probably seeing around 200 degree temps like you read on your dome thermometer.

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • pileit1971
    Options
    R2Egg2Q said:
    Regarding your pit probe placement, if you want a better read on the temp your brisket is seeing, I'd move the pit probe to where it is over the pan but at least an inch away from the meat (too close and you get lower readings from the meat temp).  It doesn't look like you have a lot of room for the pit probes other than towards the back to the sides of the point.

Your brisket was probably seeing around 200 degree temps like you read on your dome thermometer.

Thanks, that is what I thought too, I know I didn't have a lot of room for the size brisket that I had, but as I said, this is more of a learning experience...

But doing good, up to 180 with the new probe placement, in what I think is the flat.... going to let it go until about 2pm and then decide if I need to use the texas crutch to get it over the hump so I can FTC it for at least 2 hours before dinner...

Thanks for all the heads up advice!
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I do not do a lot of briskets, but low and slow pork is very similar. 

Take a look at your latest graph and extrapolate out when you think the meat will be between 195 and 205 which is when 99% of the briskets are done. After the stall, I find the temp rise is nearly linear.  Yea, you are letting the cow determine the finish temp but you will have a good idea when it will get there.  
    And do not get hung up on at least 120 mins in the cooler. 82 min is fine. 211 min is fine. 120 is nothing more than a rough target.

And remember, sides sometimes arrive to the table late :wink:
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • pileit1971
    Options
    Its now in the FTC stage...came off with internal temp of 187-194
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Hopefully it came off with the "feel" at the posted temperature range.  FWIW-
  • pileit1971
    Options
    It did, checked with probe, and felt like 'butter'.... will find out in about 45 minutes...
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    Dude.  That looks awesome.  Now you're spoiled. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Options
    She’s a beaut. Nice work 
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Way to bring it home.  Congrats on a great cook and result.  
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    That looks killer! Nice work.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Awesome cook there!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    That looks like some damn good eatin, nice work
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • pileit1971
    Options
    Now the key will be having to repeat it....and get the same results, that seems like the hardest part!
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • sumoconnell
    Options
    Great looking meteorite right there! Great color and smoke ring!