Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT gallbladder surgery OT

ryantt
ryantt Posts: 2,532
 Just a question for those of you who have had gallbladder surgery. I had mine removed on Thursday laparoscopically, how long did it take for the swelling in your abdomen to go down. I swear I have Not eaten anything in over a week and my stomach is so freaking swollen I can stand it.  Also how much bruising did you have?  My stomach looks like I was kicked by a horse in 4 spots.   

Not trying to conplain, but I’m miserable and want to get back to normal.  
XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    What has you dr. told you?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • ryantt
    He said I should be back to normal in a week or 2.  @dmchicago

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    That sounds about right. Everybody is a bit different. Take it easy with food starting out or the porcelain throne will get to know you well.
  • ryantt
    thanks @Eggcelsior I appreciate the advise.   

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    I have heard you need to watch fatty foods.  Is that true and is it permanent?

No matter, it is better than what caused the need to remove the gall bladder.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • ryantt
    I’ve been told I will not be able to tolerate fatty foods, for some time if at all.  But I was so sick starting Sunday night, when it stopped functioning.  It was  crazy I told my wife I thought I was going to die!!!   @Ozzie_Isaac I’m hoping to get back to normal soon.  

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Good luck brother.  We hope you are well soon.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    We are all pulling for you.  Hope you get back to normal soon.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Zaltydog
    Zaltydog Posts: 106
    I had no problem at all with fatty foods after removal. Huge problems before removal. My Cousin cannot eat any fatty food after his removal and he lost a bunch of weight as a result. 
  • ryantt
    @Zaltydog maybe I’ll be lucky enough not to be able to eat the fatty foods for a while so I can get ride of my huge gut. Funny thing is I didn’t have any issues before last Sunday, then it was over.   

• Zaltydog
    Zaltydog Posts: 106
    edited April 2018
    I only had 2 gall bladder attacks before figuring out what was happening. Both times ribs were the trigger. Extreme pain for many hours. Rode it out the first time and blamed it on alcohol and a med i was taking. Second time months later had to seek emergency room help and they diagnosed it. Sometimes I wish i could not eat fatty foods too. But I like being able to eat ribs and such  =).
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Good luck brother on quick recovery..
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    I recovered quickly and was eating well in a couple days but everyone is different. The day after sucked with anesthesia hangover. I was so happy I wasn’t having the attack pain it likely made the recovery seem easier. Minimal bruising 
    Jacksonville FL
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    My doctor told me not to eat anything fatty. I asked him if I could eat lean red meat like flank steak. He replied “No, dont eat anything, fatty.”

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Had surgery on Friday back at work on Monday, but did not feel up to par. Within a week, I think I was climbing ladders. Twenty year later, I am cooking a picnic today, so fatty food is not off limits. Seeing a doctor this month over other issues, so may hear about cutting down fat for other reasons.
    Standing straight was difficult for a day or two, but no swelling and no bruising. I would be talking to the doctor,
    Cooking on the coast
  • UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    Had my gall bladder out a few years ago.  Like @BikerBob, had surgery on Friday, church on Sunday and work on Monday.  No bruising or swelling.  No trouble with fatty or spicy foods since.  I understand both can give some folks trouble without a gall bladder. 
    XL  Central Ohio
  • MN-Egger
    MN-Egger Posts: 133
    Mine out a few years ago too and some fatty foods bother me, others don't. Two times I remember being punished was eating too much bark/fat from a pork butt and more intense was eating Wagyu beef from Japan. 
    --
    Jeff
    Near Twin Cities, MN
    Large BGE
  • ryantt
    @MN-Egger I’m hoping to get to the point I can eat again.  So far what goes down must come up.  

• BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    For me it is the opposite, what goes down keeps going somedays.,
    Cooking on the coast