Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stainless Steel Table ????

Options
Scored a free 24x48 stainless table and was thinking about cutting a hole in it for my egg. My question about s for those with stainless tables.... my bottom shelf is secured with only set screws applying pressure to the legs. Is that enough to securely hold the weight of the egg or should I drill out the leg and bolt it in?

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I would say no, not strong enough. But why would you want to lose all that work surface area?! Half of the table and both EggMates, gone!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    We had trouble with corners not holding weight on bottom shelf. I think it would be wise to drill a hole and put in a self taping stainless screw on back side of leg. It wouldn't be visible and it would keep shelf from sliding down. You could drill 2 holes and use bolt also.
  • Tspud1
    Options
    How are you going to cut hole in top for egg?
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    Metal shop just down the street....  that’s something I’d pay for!  Plus, there is boxed bracing under the tabletop that’ll have to be cut and probably spot welded for reinforcement. 

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I have my Minimax on mine and I find myself taking it off half the time so I can have more work space. 

Having that extra storage at the bottom is clutch as well. I contemplated the same thing but abandoned it. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If you do decide to do this, perhaps some sort of pipe hanger would provide enough support. Just get one that doesn't have protruding shin barkers!
    Image result for pipe hangers

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Tspud1
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    Metal shop just down the street....  that’s something I’d pay for!  Plus, there is boxed bracing under the tabletop that’ll have to be cut and probably spot welded for reinforcement. 
    Plasma cut?
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    Tspud1 said:
    Plasma cut?
    That’s an Affirmative! 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    In my humble opinion, your setup is far superior as is. I’d put some casters on that table and rock on. 
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    if you send me the thickness of the metal and the screw diameter, I can do the math and tell you, wouldn't take very long.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    We had trouble with corners not holding weight on bottom shelf. I think it would be wise to drill a hole and put in a self taping stainless screw on back side of leg. It wouldn't be visible and it would keep shelf from sliding down. You could drill 2 holes and use bolt also.
    Thanks for your input.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga