Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maybe a little TOO raised direct?

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited March 2018
    Hard to tell where your lump level is but even cooking raised, you still need to watch for hot spots in your lump. 
    A rub or marinade with a higher sugar content can also exaggerate the burning.
    Reducing the air flow at the dome will also help put out any flames from dripping oil or wood chips/chunks. 
    The grill lines make me think the damage was done skin side down on the cooking grate?
    I bet it was still fantastic!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    Welp!  A little less direct, a little more raised I would say.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I do chicken like that all the time. Gasket level though, not as high as yours appears to be. ±400°, lump maybe to the bottom of the fire ring. I flip periodically, though I know some don't. Never had charring like that. Try keeping the legs pointed toward the hinges. It's usually hotter back there and the legs can take more heat.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    Waited too long to flip. Turned out well though. This is my first direct chicken. 

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I'm with very raised direct for chix-I run it on a PSWOO-2 about 4+" above the gasket line.  Being lazy, I don't flip but always run legs to the back.  Hottest spot on the cooking surface so the final timing/temp is always there.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    kweitz said:
    Waited too long to flip. Turned out well though. This is my first direct chicken. 
    After you get your fire stabilized and add your cold bird it will lower your dome temp reading on your gauge. Cold bird, up in the dome next to the temp probe. Don't open the vents more trying to compensate. The Egg will stabilize as your fire temp did not really change.
    Not saying you did this, but it is a common problem.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    edited March 2018
    cook the legs towards the hinge side where its hotter ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Who says you can't get crispy skin on an egg??

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• kweitz
    @Photo Egg Dome temp was 400 when I put it on, with legs toward the hinge, so the hot spot was actually toward the front. Didn’t touch the settings when I put it on, learned that lesson years ago. I will say, it was a damn good chicken!

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    My two cents... for low and slow the rear (hinge side) gets hotter over time; however, I find that it's not always the case with quick hot cooks.. when egg is stabilised I feel around the dome to spot the hot zone and place the thighs or thickest part of a roast in that area.
    canuckland
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I always start mine bones down. Love it raised direct. 
  • kweitz
    @pgprescott - I’ve always done spatchcock bones down indirect. I’ve never had crispy skin, so my thought process was to crisp up the skin then flip it, just flipped too late! So, starting bones down, does the skin get crispy for you?

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• pgprescott
    kweitz said:
    @pgprescott - I’ve always done spatchcock bones down indirect. I’ve never had crispy skin, so my thought process was to crisp up the skin then flip it, just flipped too late! So, starting bones down, does the skin get crispy for you?
    It firms up pretty good and then I flip it later in the cook when it requires much less Cook time. Basically just a late flip for a few to put the final crisp on things. You got the right idea, I just approach it from the other direction. I feel it gives you a better margin for error. Next one will be a HR! 
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Yikes! Looks like the fire was definitely all burning on one side. Using less charcoal helps a lot for me personally. Also, spinning your grate every 15 minutes will help even things out. Cheers!
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    kweitz said:
    i always start skin down for crispness, it really sets the skin up for it, separating it from the colder wet meat.  skin side up the skin sticks to the colder wet meat and it doesnt crisp nearly as much. i like the skin and find its easier to cook the skin first to my liking, then flip and finish without over shooting the internal temps is key for me
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • pgprescott
    kweitz said:
    i always start skin down for crispness, it really sets the skin up for it, separating it from the colder wet meat.  skin side up the skin sticks to the colder wet meat and it doesnt crisp nearly as much. i like the skin and find its easier to cook the skin first to my liking, then flip and finish without over shooting the internal temps is key for me
    Yeah, but you put your pants on and then your underwear. LOL. JKOC. Whatever gets er done.