Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How now brown cow, er black pig?

Options
baychilla
baychilla Posts: 387
I've been looking at try some heritage pork (my last attempt ended up with the worlds smallest baby backs from a local vendor).  I'm looking at Lobels/Berkshire or SRF/Kurobata.  Then I noticed that while Lobels rweight anges are low > high, SRF is X with a +/- variable (eg: Their Kurobata baby backs are 1lb +/- .5 lb, so if you're unlucky you have a 1/2lb rack).  Anyone have any experience with both/either?
Near San Francisco in California

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    I quit doing math my fifth year of high school.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    baychilla said:
    I've been looking at try some heritage pork (my last attempt ended up with the worlds smallest baby backs from a local vendor).  I'm looking at Lobels/Berkshire or SRF/Kurobata.  Then I noticed that while Lobels rweight anges are low > high, SRF is X with a +/- variable (eg: Their Kurobata baby backs are 1lb +/- .5 lb, so if you're unlucky you have a 1/2lb rack).  Anyone have any experience with both/either?
    SRF baby backs are tiny. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • baychilla
    Options
    Thanks, I was afraid of that.  The rack of Berkshires I had before appeared to be hand trimmed with only meat between the bones.  Maybe the collar or butt or chops would be a better option.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    The SRF are tiny. However if you can get the spares at the BOGO price they are worth trying. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Mikeymise
    Mikeymise Posts: 53
    Options
    Any chance you’re near a Whole Foods?  In the NE they carry Berkshire from local farms. I have not eaten supermarket pork in 15 years. Also, I’m far from cheap, but cannot pull the trigger on a $13 / 5oz chip from SRF.  
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    The SRF are tiny. However if you can get the spares at the BOGO price they are worth trying. 
    Agreed - the SRF spareribs are great when they've got the BOGO deal. I usually by 6 or more at a time
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • baychilla
    Options
    Mikeymise said:
    Any chance you’re near a Whole Foods?  In the NE they carry Berkshire from local farms. I have not eaten supermarket pork in 15 years. Also, I’m far from cheap, but cannot pull the trigger on a $13 / 5oz chip from SRF.  
    I am.  However the local place seems to have the worst WF butcher/meat area I've seen.  I'll drop in and see if I can scare up some Berkshire.

• baychilla
    Options
    Agreed - the SRF spareribs are great when they've got the BOGO deal. I usually by 6 or more at a time
    Do you have to be on a mailing list for that or is it also mentioned on their site when running?
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I believe you need to be on their mailing list or count on someone here posting the discount code.  I got some spares in their Black Friday BOGO sale
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • baychilla
    Options
    Thanks I guess I'll be signing up then.