Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Can Large Egg handle 2 racks of ribs?

lentsboy007lentsboy007 Posts: 26
Cooked a full rack of ribs yesterday, directly on the grill with plate setter under.  I noticed the ends of the ribs, that hung over the edge of the plate setter a bit , got over done .  I have a large Egg, is it advisable to cook 2 racks at the same time ? 

Comments

• lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 3,010
    edited March 24
    Absolutely ....rib rack will do 5...I will use foil as a heat shield for the ends 
    Visalia, Ca
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 4,499
    Rib rack will do 8

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014, 36" Blackstone, Anova Sous Vide
    Green Man Group 
    Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 9,866
    Another option is to cut the racks in half, then you can easily do 3 in a 6 rack slot without them hanging over the plate setter. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• milesvdustinmilesvdustin Posts: 1,303
    I have jammed 12 in mine on the rig before. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Akorn Jr

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• SoCalTimSoCalTim Posts: 2,155
    Six racks, wooden skewers thru them with, HDAF wadded into balls wedged between ea rib (and thru the skewers)to allow airflow .. some of the best damn ribs I ever made.

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • blind99blind99 Posts: 4,220

Rib rack, plate setter, lots of ribs!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 13,020
    Amateurs!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!

…Unknown

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• PoppasGrillPoppasGrill Posts: 211
    I’ve done 2 rack on my mbge without a major issue. Used a pizza tray on top of plate setter so the ends weren’t getting direct flame.
  • IkeIke Posts: 69
    SoCalTim said:
    Six racks, wooden skewers thru them with, HDAF wadded into balls wedged between ea rib (and thru the skewers)to allow airflow .. some of the best damn ribs I ever made.

Easy to see that you're experienced....the cook's sampler on the end of the skewers and at the front of grate.
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small and lotsa goodies.
  • mEGG_My_DaymEGG_My_Day Posts: 529
    I like cooking them flat.  Two are easy.  I can do four racks flat with my CGS Woo extender with second grate.

Memphis, TN 
  • mEGG_My_DaymEGG_My_Day Posts: 529

Memphis, TN 
  • tenpenny_05tenpenny_05 Posts: 210

Pay no attention to the color of the egg...
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • TEXASBGE2018TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 645
    I just did it about 3 hours ago

Dallas Area, Tx    LBGE, 36" Stainless Blackstone Griddle, Contemplating which size Egg to get next. Cast Iron Hoarder.

"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"- Davy Crockett