Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Belly Burnt Ends – Best prep?

I’m extremely interested in attending pork belly burnt ends. I’ve searched a variety of threads to prepare and it seems straightforward, but does anyone have a standard way they do it every time? I’m a fan of step by step instructions and hoping to get someone’s prep laid out to duplicate. Thanks so much!!

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Step-by-step is a great practice for delicate procedures but with Q you may need to relax that a bit.  Here's a thread that may get you up and running:
    Burnt Ends Meat?  
    Beyond that give the search function a go-you will find that the BGE affords many ways to nail the cook.  Pick one-write the manual then introduce documented changes as you go.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    This is pretty step by step. Haven’t tried it. I am making pork belly burnt ends soon. I won’t use this recipe exactly but will take some steps from it. 
    https://www.meatchurch.com/blogs/recipes/pork-belly-burnt-ends
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    This is the recipe that I used for the Burnt Ends and they turned out awesome.

Smoked Pork Belly Burnt Ends

httpwwwvindulgecomwp-contentuploads201705Smoked-Pork-Belly-Burnt-Ends-2jpg

Ingredients

For the Pork Belly Burnt Ends:

• 5 lbs pork belly, sliced into cubes
    • 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
    • 1 cup dry rub (see notes for our favorite)

For the Sauce:

• 1 cup favorite BBQ sauce (we used Pinot Noir BBQ Sauce, see notes)
    • 3 tblsp unsalted butter
    • 2 tblsp honey

Instructions

1. Preheat smoker to 225 – 250 degrees using fruit wood (we used cherry for color and sweeter flavor)
    2. Trim excess skin and fat off the pork belly and slice into 2 inch cubes and place into a large bowl.
    3. Add EVOO and dry rub liberally and then place cubes onto a wire rack or directly on the smoker.
    4. Smoke uncovered for three hours. Look for a darker red color and a modest bark develop.
    5. Remove the pork belly cubes from the smoker and place into a foil pan and then add your BBQ sauce, butter, and honey, and stir. Next cover the pan with aluminum foil and place back on the smoker.
    6. Cook for an additional 90 minutes or until the internal temperature (IT) is roughly 200 – 203 degrees Fahrenheit.
    7. Remove the foil, close the lid to the smoker, and smoke for another 15 minutes to let the sauce thicken up.
    8. Remove from smoker and serve.

• Finally got around to doing this...brand new baby makes it hard to find time to Egg...and these turned out really well. Went with Gary’s recipe above. 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Finally got around to doing this...brand new baby makes it hard to find time to Egg...and these turned out really well. Went with Gary’s recipe above. 

Awesome! Imo, cubing prior to cooking really improves the out come. Well done.