Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Side Business

Options
Howdy!  I love to cook and BBQ and have been kicking around ideas to make a little extra income from it on the side.  I was wondering if any of you dudes have ever been in a part time/side business where you cooked and sold pork butts or ribs or other cooked (i.e. BBQ) food for a party or catering event or other customer.  I'm not looking to open up a restaurant or anything extensive, just maybe something to make some extra bucks on the side of my day job and have fun doing it.  I appreciate your thoughts, tips, and experiences!

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Paging @CTMike .  This forum member should be able to provide many insights.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Talk about posts passing in the ether...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    I cook Butts on the Large throughout the year for coworkers. It's really just a word of mouth thing. Usually around the big holidays. But it's definitely not a "side business." I may make a few dollars per cook, but ultimately i just try to cover my costs. 
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    CTMike said:

I run a BBQ catering company as a side gig. First and foremost, you need to talk to your local health department and get the proper licenses for slinging food to the public. Second, setup a LLC to protect your personal assets. Third, get liability insurance.

All of these things are meant to insulate your personal assets in the event that someone gets food poisoning and decides they want to sue you.

Also, never accept raw meat to cook from someone else. You don't know for certain that it was held at the proper temperature to prevent bug growth.

Good luck.

Concise and thorough - Good info right here. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Like many here, I'm happiest when some protein is getting some smoke on.  Often I cook something just to have something smoking while I work in the shop.

That said, I'm not sure I want to turn it into a job.  I give it away, and I don't have any headaches or complaints.  Beggars can't be choosers, right?

Good luck to you with whatever you do, keep us posted.

Phoenix 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Yes, definitely check local ordinances. A couple of years ago, a bunch of stalls were shut down at the farmer's markets because the products were being produced in uninspected kitchens. I'm unsure, but I think the city just passed laws allowing food carts/trucks.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I‘d say step 1 is to buy a smoker at least as large as ‘Ol Mortimer.  @CTMike
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • GatorNick99
    Options
    Thanks for the constructive information, guys (and gals?)!
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Great info from @CTMike. I have had 2 friends over the years go into the smoke/bbq/catering businesses after retiring. The first guy keeps it real local and simple but occasionally does a large cook for an anniversary party and even medium sized wedding receptions. He has had a ball at it. The 2nd guy has slowly built up a clientele and is doing gigs as far as 150 miles away. He also has developed his own line of sauces that he sells only at his gigs.

Keep us informed of what you do and how you do it.

Good luck.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Tough in CA with the health department unless you invest some coin...the way around is Community Events for Non Profit which allows you an Annual Temporary Permit and don't need a commissary and you can sell food prepared on site...I've got stuff going most every weekend, most of it Gratis..it does get tiring ...I donate a lot as I don't want it to become a job..last few weeks , 1 wedding reception, a bar catering for St Patricks , Chile Verde Cook Off this weekend, Ribs in 2

My 2 Cents....
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    I tried to do this, and it is not worth the headache. 

In Henry county Georgia, a commissary was/is required (not leased or rented)
    The cook trailer requirements were very strict and costly.
    SaveServ certifications
    The laws about prepared food vs non prepared food crossing thresholds.
    Not to mention "greasing" the health department folks to get what you need.

IMO, if this is really something you want to do. Get everything @CTMike suggested and work by word of mouth. "Catering" is a much easier path than being "official".
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    billt01 said:
    I tried to do this, and it is not worth the headache. 

In Henry county Georgia, a commissary was/is required (not leased or rented)
    The cook trailer requirements were very strict and costly.
    SaveServ certifications
    The laws about prepared food vs non prepared food crossing thresholds.
    Not to mention "greasing" the health department folks to get what you need.

IMO, if this is really something you want to do. Get everything @CTMike suggested and work by word of mouth. "Catering" is a much easier path than being "official".

I forgot to mention the Servsafe training. You also need training records for everyone that helps you with food prep/cook/service.

I have a written agreement with the local VFW to use their kitchen for prep and storage (commissary).

I am doing private catering (private parties, weddings, graduations, etc) and public vending (local breweries, fairs, etc). I notify the applicable health department for every event to give them a chance to come out and inspect if they feel like it. I have never gotten a score less than 96 because I take food safety very seriously. I don't feel like losing my shirt because I got lazy and someone got sick.

My health department(s) require warm water for hand washing. I am using a propane burner to heat water from the VFW (well water requires periodic lab analyses) and I put it in a Cambro coffee dispenser, stays warm for hours. The dirty water is collected in a Home Depot Homer bucket, and dumped at the VFW after the event.

Being legal can be done, and isn't that hard, you just have to have a good relationship with your health department/inspectors. Talk to them upfront about what's required before you spend any money. As an example, my Shirley Fab trailer isn't NSF rated, like an Ole Hickory or Southern Pride is. In many health districts that's an automatic no-go. For me, once I showed the inspector that the interior of those smokers are made of mild steel (as my SF is), there were ok about it.

I've never had to "grease" an inspector, guess that must be more of a Southern thing.

Doing "unofficial catering" as mentioned above can be done, but the potential liability just isn't worth it in my opinion. YMMV.

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • billt01
    Options
    "Being legal can be done, and isn't that hard, you just have to have a good relationship with your health department/inspectors."

Unless one plans on only vending in your county every time, this is a bit moot.

I spent several thousand dollars trying to make this happen and trust me, everyone has their hand out.

YMMV

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• CTMike
    Options
    billt01 said:
    "Being legal can be done, and isn't that hard, you just have to have a good relationship with your health department/inspectors."

I spent several thousand dollars trying to make this happen and trust me, everyone has their hand out.

YMMV

I feel your pain. I am currently licensed in two health districts so my point really isn't moot. Sadly there are quite a number of health districts for such a small state (CT), each one covering a handful of towns. Each license costs me about $250/year, and I plan on adding a couple more this year, as well as RI. At least Rhode Island has one license for the entire state.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @CTMike - hey brother, it' a whole other world here in Los Angeles (S0Cal) you have vendors on every street corner (illegal might i add) who operate with no business license, no hot pottable water, no health inspections of any kind.

Hot dog vendors, Tamale vendors - they are cooking with open fire RIGHT ON THE STREET!
    I have no idea how they get away with this nonsense, imagine if you or i tried operating out of a brick & mortar facility this way, I'd be out of business in the blink of an eye.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    billt01 said:

YMMV

Just curious - when you say "everyone has their hand out" do you mean officials are asking/expecting illegal bribes or are you just saying that various localities/jurisdictions have statutory fees for permits/inspections/licenses/etc?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• billt01
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    @CTMike - hey brother, it' a whole other world here in Los Angeles (S0Cal) you have vendors on every street corner (illegal might i add) who operate with no business license, no hot pottable water, no health inspections of any kind.

Hot dog vendors, Tamale vendors - they are cooking with open fire RIGHT ON THE STREET!
    I have no idea how they get away with this nonsense, imagine if you or i tried operating out of a brick & mortar facility this way, I'd be out of business in the blink of an eye.
    Our regulators would be confiscating everything down to the skewer in Georgia. 

I guess the main difference @CTMike references being districts in contrast to counties. In good ol' Georgia, you can be cleared in Butts county but not Henry county. These two counties being beside each other logistically.  The take away here is know your code.
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• billt01
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    billt01 said:

YMMV

Just curious - when you say "everyone has their hand out" do you mean officials are asking/expecting illegal bribes or are you just saying that various localities/jurisdictions have statutory fees for permits/inspections/licenses/etc?
    Everything you mentioned...

Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• CTMike
    Options
    billt01 said:
    HeavyG said:
    billt01 said:

YMMV

That sucks. License fees I can live with, the rest - not so much.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • billt01
    Options
    CTMike said:
    billt01 said:
    HeavyG said:
    billt01 said:

YMMV

That sucks. License fees I can live with, the rest - not so much.
    Could of sold you a very nice slightly used NSF Cookshack SM150 ~4 years ago.

1. Sell Lang under direction of "authorities" and purchase a NSF cooker.
    2. Find local BBQ business to purchase for my commissary to dispose of my grey and black water due to the fact as mentioned above, the commissary must be registered in the name applying for the vending license.
    3. Purchase vending trailer with all necessary equipment twin 3 compartment stainless sinks with non absorbent floor and necessary fire suppression and vent hoods.
    4. Deal with local "authorities" about fire suppression and ventilation of said commissary.
    5. Sell all of this $#!+ and just do it as a "catering" gig.

The above is the Cliff notes version of my ordeal. It about cost me my marriage and my sanity.
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• CTMike
    Options
    That just plain sucks.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If someone expect bribes, report them.  This isn't a third world country, yet.
    Options
    If someone expect bribes, report them.  This isn't a third world country, yet.
    crafty verbiage..and the kick back doesn't stop with the inspectors...

I get it, but it was just too rich for my blood at the end of the ordeal..

Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    STOP STOP

Ya'll are taking the fun out of it!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • billt01
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    STOP STOP

Ya'll are taking the fun out of it!
    @kl8ton
    I LOL'd
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    billt01 said:
    HeavyG said:
    billt01 said:

YMMV

takes time, but getting even helps =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • billt01
    Options
    billt01 said:
    HeavyG said:
    billt01 said:

YMMV

takes time, but getting even helps =)
    my time was more valuable than dealing...the process in whole took almost 2 1/2 years of my life, money, time with my wife and kids. 

Nah, cut my losses but made a bit on the restaurant, 'bout enough to buy a few Stumps and start competitive cooking, and that too had its draw backs..

Now I just cook for my family and friends..

Its a good dream for some, just a nightmare for me...
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga