Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wicked Good Lump

Options
Anybody out there running into lousy bags of Wicked Good here and there? I split a pallet worth of the stuff with a couple other forum members and am down to my last 2 bags. Overall, I’ve been happy with it. This current bag has been brutal though- random bouts of acrid smoke and periodically, the stuff just smells terrible when it’s burning. I figured it might’ve been the egg, I hadn’t done a clean burn in a while, so I did one last week. Fired it up today for a quick chicken cook. Smoke cleared with 10 mins, let it burn for 25-30 mins while I was prepping food and messing around with the dogs. Put the chicken on, made no vent or daisy wheel adjustments, and 5-10 mins later I had acrid, white-ish smoke. Never totally cleared for the rest of the cook and it never got the good “burning lump” smell during the subsequent clean burn (650-700 for an hr or so).

Just curious if anyone has had a similar experience. Or if maybe we should go back to being a Rockwood household. Oh, and yes, the chicken sucked. 

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Check with @caliking

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lowandslow
    lowandslow Posts: 122
    Options
    I use Wicked Good.  I find the same thing.  It takes forever to burn off the acrid smoke, if it goes away at all.  My local dealer used to sell this stuff called "Los Lazos", which was awesome and $15.99 for (2) 20lb bags.  (not a typo)  For whatever reason, now they only carry Wicked Good and BGE, which if I am not mistaken, is only Royal Oak marked up.  I would look for a different option.
    Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I know most people are not as concerned with stuff like this and I don’t judge. I drive a pickup and wife has a sports sedan that gets 0 mpg so take all this with a grain of salt. 

This lump and all the south American lumps are a major factor in deforestation in some of the most sensitive rainforests is the world. They actually cut trees to make charcoal. The charcoal made up here is made from felled timber or milled lumber scraps.

If you don’t like it and it sucks for the environment, might be time to find something made in N America that you like. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker I hear ya on that. A large part of my business is with those that are engaged in the forestry business, both globally and here in New England. An overwhelming portion of my customers are focused on sustainable harvesting and healthy forest management. Long story short, I feel a bit of an obligation to “walk the walk” in matters such as these. Sounds like the Wicked Good experiment is coming to a close after this last bag...