Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Lawn Care

Options
2»

Comments

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Just use the “Lambeau field in December” plan. Paint it green and call it a day. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Captainjimpark
    Options
    How do we feel about the Zoysia seed mixture from Scott’s? 

Used to be you could only get plugs..
    Never heard it it,down here in south Texas floratram is the best for this hot climate
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,656
    Options
    Hard to start from seed. Best low budget option is to buy sod and cut your own plugs
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,185
    Options
    kdink said:
    @Captainjimpark, @jones2289  Where did you send to?  I need to do that!
    Try your local County Extension office 
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    I think I will come back to this thread possible after my snow melts
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options
    I take everything I have outside the lawn (weeding, pruning, you name it) and I mulch mow and let the bugs do the rest.  Surprisingly effective but it does take some time for full benefit.
    Toronto ON
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    Simcan said:
    I take everything I have outside the lawn (weeding, pruning, you name it) and I mulch mow and let the bugs do the rest.  Surprisingly effective but it does take some time for full benefit.
    thats what we do at the camp, about 3 years in the mulch pile is easy to spread over the lawn. at home the lawns turned into poison ivy and wild flowers =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jones2289
    jones2289 Posts: 56
    Options
    kdink said:
    @Captainjimpark, @jones2289  Where did you send to?  I need to do that!
    Try your local County Extension office 
    Sorry for the delayed response.  I would try calling your local extension office and see who they recommend, or check out the websites of any major universities near you that have large agriculture or turf science programs.

I found some information on Purdue's website, and sent mine to A&L Great Lakes Labs in Fort Wayne, IN.  

I've attached a screenshot that shows the majority of my analysis results for lawn maintenance.  A&L will also send printouts and analyses for starting up a lawn, and maintaining a vegetable garden.  
    Indianapolis, IN
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Now how do you ask the next door neighbor about his dandelion issue?  ;) 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    WeberWho said:

This is my life.  There is a noxious thistle around here that is a pain in the butt, neighbors yard is full of them.   Hard to have the best grass on the street when you have to deal with that. In other news gave the front its first cutting today.  I’m about a month behind normal for here. 
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    WeberWho said:

This is my life.  There is a noxious thistle around here that is a pain in the butt, neighbors yard is full of them.   Hard to have the best grass on the street when you have to deal with that. In other news gave the front its first cutting today.  I’m about a month behind normal for here. 
    Wild violets and Bermuda... grrr....
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• U_tarded
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    WeberWho said:

I deal with Bermuda in the back plus a bad install job (they laid sod onto the native clay with no top soil) and there is an empty lot kitty corner to us.  I’m a mini excavator away from just xeriscaping, 4 Year’s here and no matter what I do the back won’t fill in and grow right.  
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    U_tarded said:
    WeberWho said:

I deal with Bermuda in the back plus a bad install job (they laid sod onto the native clay with no top soil) and there is an empty lot kitty corner to us.  I’m a mini excavator away from just xeriscaping, 4 Year’s here and no matter what I do the back won’t fill in and grow right.  
    I feel you. Been doing it for a year myself borrowed a dingo from a friend. Can’t recommend it enough. Graded some here and there, removed two sump trucks of gravel from the back, filled in with free leaf mulch from the city dump (our city gives leaf mulch back for free after leaf collection, “composted” mulch is two year triple screened and $20/pickup load) 30,000 lbs. 

borrow a dingo. They’re incredible for lots that are city sized. 

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Looks like I just broke the thread. Sorry. You get the gist. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• U_tarded
    Options
    That’s exactly what I’m thinking I need to do.  I am basically in the desert so grass sucks here anyways my front yard does fine.  I have a fairly large city lot (1/4 acre) so getting rid of some grass to mow when it’s 95 at 7 am won’t hurt my feelers one bit. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,300
    Options
    Masked Marvel, I'm on a couple of gardening sites. One think that can be done to break up clay is to plant Daikon(Japanese radishes) in the early fall and let the cold kill it then let the roots die in the ground. Admittedly that is a solution used for vegetable gardens and it will look funny for a year but you did say it was your back yard.
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Masked Marvel, I'm on a couple of gardening sites. One think that can be done to break up clay is to plant Daikon(Japanese radishes) in the early fall and let the cold kill it then let the roots die in the ground. Admittedly that is a solution used for vegetable gardens and it will look funny for a year but you did say it was your back yard.
    My soution was straight up relocating gravel and refiling with mulch. 

@U_tarded was looking at clay, I think?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    Options

U_tarded said:
    That’s exactly what I’m thinking I need to do.  I am basically in the desert so grass sucks here anyways my front yard does fine.  I have a fairly large city lot (1/4 acre) so getting rid of some grass to mow when it’s 95 at 7 am won’t hurt my feelers one bit. 
    I’ve been pretty aggressive,justifying my thinking two years of humiliation is worth a lifetime of jealousy. 

The previous owner was a DIY guy
    like me —- the only difference is I have YouTube. 

So a a lot of undoing. 

Desert? You need to pile on the compost. We lucked out with our city. It’d be worth seeing if anyone around You has a good deal on the stuff. 

I will quickly add that my seed mix, here in central N.C., includes the varietal “Tar Heel” and “Wolfpack.”  As a duke fan I’m offended. And, just like their basketball teams, they die when the heat is on. 

If if I have any more problems this year I’ll ask you guys for a good zoysia supplier. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I do a spray weed and feed once a year and keep it mowed. It looks decent from a distance. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    @WeberWho I just spray about 10-15feet into their property.  I absolutely hate weeds in my grass.   The wife says I’m just this side of a nut job when it comes to the lawn.   I’m ready for another year of lawn domination.  

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,656
    Options
    @MaskedMarvel If you have full sun, borrow your buddies dingo and a soil cultivator, till it and get some Zoysia sod from John Deere Landscapes, they had the best looking Zoysia though I cant remember the variety.  Super sod carries Zenith Zoysia, we rolled a lot of that out back in the day but the JD stuff was darker lusher
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
    Been battling shade issues and no grass for five years.  Finally saved and bit the bullet for synthetic grass.  Love it!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    ryantt said:
    @WeberWho I just spray about 10-15feet into their property.  I absolutely hate weeds in my grass.   The wife says I’m just this side of a nut job when it comes to the lawn.   I’m ready for another year of lawn domination.  

I try to spray when I know they're home. To show that I'm trying to keep the dandelions down. They're fantastic neighbors. So I really shouldn't be so negative. If that's the only negative thing I'm very fortunate to have great neighbors. 

Your lawn is picture perfect! Wow!!!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    one of my neighbors had a huge sprawling lawn. the lawn care guy came once a week, then twice, then 5 times every week. giggidy giggidy =) 
    the wifes still there, theres a beatup truck in the garage
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Options
    About 5 years ago we decided to not do any more lawn maintence, so we applied 1 treatment to all the grass, sold the lawn tractor and gave away all the Scotts stuff. Got prices on paving the front and walking paths and bought a pallet of mulch for the back. Extended flower beds and never looked back.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Winters are Devistating to our yards 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    @MaskedMarvel If you have full sun, borrow your buddies dingo and a soil cultivator, till it and get some Zoysia sod from John Deere Landscapes, they had the best looking Zoysia though I cant remember the variety.  Super sod carries Zenith Zoysia, we rolled a lot of that out back in the day but the JD stuff was darker lusher
    ᖁᔭᓇᐃᓐᓂ (Quyanainni) My friend. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE