Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Peruvian Chicken

Options
SaltySam
SaltySam Posts: 887
Ive seen a lot of posts lately about Peruvianish by Dizzy Pig.  I didn’t know what flavors that would entail, so I dug around on Pinterest a bit and found a Peruvian Chicken recipe from Epicurious.  Link below:
https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/peruvian-style-roast-chicken-with-tangy-green-sauce

It turned out pretty great.  I’d never roasted a chicken in a cast iron skillet in the Egg.  The recipe called for a basting every 20 minutes using pan juices, and I really liked the flavor.  I can’t say I’m looking forward to cleaning the pan here in a bit, but the leftover chicken will make it worthwhile. 

Plated with cilantro lime rice and black beans. I went with the good old Chipotle standby instead of the salad made with cucumbers and tomatoes the recipe called for.   I did make the sauce though.  It was bangin!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    It’s great stuff and yours looks spot on.  Next time just go spatchcocked without the pan. Every bit as good and no clean up.  Nice cook.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    The chix with that sauce does indeed sound good. 

And I’m with Brent... if you’re going to use a pan put some taters in it, so they cook/roast in the chix drippings. Otherwise, skip the pan and the cleanup :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    I am a HUGE fan of potatoes under roasted chicken.  I will totally do that next time. Thanks for the tip, fellas! 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE