Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A good price!!

Options

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    You know what PT Barnum said. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    That’s about $12 overpriced 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    You know what PT Barnum said. 
    Funny, that's what I always thought about the guys who'll spend $25 on a bag of Rockwood.
    Ignorance is bliss. 
  • kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    Options
    I saw these bags at the grocery store, had never seen it in person before. I have read enough on this forum of the “evil Cowboy lump”, so this was posted as a joke. I wouldn’t buy it, ever!

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• pgprescott
    edited March 2018
    Options
    kweitz said:
    I saw these bags at the grocery store, had never seen it in person before. I have read enough on this forum of the “evil Cowboy lump”, so this was posted as a joke. I wouldn’t buy it, ever!
    Exactly as I suspected. Good decision. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    kweitz said:

Don't let the mob discourage you from branching out and trying new things.  Personally, I hate the stuff.  But for $9, I'd try it if I never had before. Just my $0.02

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Someone must be buying it, if they are still producing it?
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    Options
    I have a bag of that cr@p around some where as my "In case of a lump emergency, feel ashamed and break open".  Otherwise, when I get to my last bag of Rockwood, I go online and place another order.  Just the possibility of having to use Cowboy Lump is enough to make me remember to place the order for Rockwood.
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Amazing how many have never used it but still can't stand it. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    How did eggers survive before Rockwood?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Focker said:
    How did eggers survive before Rockwood?
    Ozark Oak
    Hahaha.  Our Ozark Oak runner  rah, and fam, stopped by for a visit over the weekend and spotted my one and a half bags in the garage as we fired up the BS.  He would grab 12 skids.  Damn I miss those days.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• GoBadgers1
    Options
    Love the sweatshirt! Go Bison!
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    jabam said:
    Someone must be buying it, if they are still producing it?

True, but does producing something make it a good idea?

Phoenix 
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Am I reading that correct - it’s 8.99 for a 8 lb bag?  If that’s right then rockwood and fogo are about the same unit price, and arguably much better 
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    yljkt said:
    Amazing how many have never used it but still can't stand it. 
    Amazing how many have tried it and still use it.
    The bag I bought, had plastic twine, uncharred parquet floor pieces, still with a bit of shine on them from a coating that did not burn off, and metal strapping.
    Outside of that, and the smell, as well as the thick heavy smoke, which never really ceased, it was burnable.
    Bon Appetite.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    I tried it once, never again.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I have used a few bags of it, some of them looked like it had scraps of 2x4 cutoffs in there. I have never seen a tree in the woods that looks like a 2x4. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    To each his own.  I’m happy with RW and their commitment to quality.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I have used a few bags of it, some of them looked like it had scraps of 2x4 cutoffs in there. I have never seen a tree in the woods that looks like a 2x4. 

Any US made charcoal is going to have had some sort of saw blade touch at least 1-2 surfaces of the wood.  It's not uncommon to find pieces with perfect 90 degree angles in our bags.  But you'll notice the other side is a radius or not square.  Any US plant is getting pieces that are too warped, too knotty, or other rough cut slabs.  The cuts that a straight and true go to the lumber mills, all the other pieces that got taken off to make those cuts go to the charcoal, wood chips, etc businesses.  It's not treated, it's not broken 2x4's, it's not ply wood......it's all wood off the tree LONG before those processes.  We should make some cool claim like "FIRST CUT" pieces.

But there have been some company that have collected construction scrap and made it into charcoal......it's marked "all-natural", there's plywood in it, but the glue comes from resin which comes from trees, so it's still technically natural.  Just like briquette companies and the "all-natural" limestone, borax, sawdust, and all the other filler that gets added.  
  • Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    Options
    Am I reading that correct - it’s 8.99 for a 8 lb bag?  If that’s right then rockwood and fogo are about the same unit price, and arguably much better 
    Nice catch !