Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

St. Patty's Day Pastrami

Options
Rather than just a corned beef, I went all in on some some smoke and did this 5# Pastrami.

Brined for 5 days (could have used another day or two).
Desalinated for 24 hours in fresh water.
Rubbed and air dried for 24 hours, then
4 hours low and slow with Apple wood to 150 degrees, Finished in the oven in a steam bath. 

It was an extremely lean brisket flat to it wasn't luscious, but it took the brine and smoke flavoring really well. It was great last night with braised veges and will be awesome on Sandwiches later today.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    Bombdiggity!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • havertyj
    havertyj Posts: 118
    Options
    Wow! That looks amazing!
    ♦︎ John ♦︎ Large BGE ♦︎ Topeka, KS ♦︎ My Blog ♦︎
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I’ll have some, thank you. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Zaltydog
    Zaltydog Posts: 106
    Options
    That looks fantastic! I am planning to something similar next weekend. Can you give me some details on the steam bath and rub? 
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    That looks amazing! I'm truly impressed with the effort. Strong work!
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Zaltydog said:
    That looks fantastic! I am planning to something similar next weekend. Can you give me some details on the steam bath and rub? 
    @Zaltydog

Rub was
    4T Black Peppercorn
    2T Coriander Seed
    1T Garlic Powder
    1T Paprika
    Grind the peppercorn and Coriander, mix that with the other spices and coat liberally.

For the steamer, I put it on a rack in a large baking pan, added about 1/2" of boiling water, and and tented it with Foil, careful to keep the foil off the meat. In a 325deg oven, it got to 205 in about 90 minutes.

enjoy.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • Zaltydog
    Options
    Thanks so much for getting back to me! I just started soaking my cornbeef and plan to do this on the weekend.
  • Zaltydog
    Options

Delicious and so easy.