Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Apple Homepod

billt01
billt01 Posts: 1,528
If you have the opportunity, and like a great sounding speaker with a good price point and small footprint....

do it....

Shrinking from a gigantic 7.1 surround sound system with (2) Velodyne 12 inch subs, Polk audio towers in the front and JBL's in the rear, Bose on the sides...

While it doesn't cause the nails in under your sheet rock to to pop, it offers very clear sound with a good bit of brunt....
Have:
 XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
Had:
LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
Ola, Ga

Comments

• NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Have two myself, ready for multiroom audio and stereo pairing when available. Not very good for those who aren’t invested in the Apple ecosystem though, no bluetooth/line in audio, airplay and Apple Music streaming only.
  • They are getting great reviews. I'm a big Apple user, but the requirement to switch to Apple Music (I'm a Spotify fan) is holding me back.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • billt01
    They are getting great reviews. I'm a big Apple user, but the requirement to switch to Apple Music (I'm a Spotify fan) is holding me back.
    I too..but I moved from Spotify and have yet not to find anything Spotify offered which Apple music did not.
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Great info here, thanks. Sub woofer not needed? Or missed?
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Do you have to have Apple Music for this?
  • billt01
    Woodchunk said:
    Do you have to have Apple Music for this?
    you "have to have" apple to make this work...I did leave this out in my original post but @NCSmoky filled in the gap...

Thank you sir..
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• billt01
    edited March 2018
    GrillSgt said:
    Great info here, thanks. Sub woofer not needed? Or missed?
    I believe the driver it has is 4 1/2 inch and uses the same processor at the 7. The speaker constantly monitors the sound and will "correct" itself if actively moved. 

Doenst shake the walls, but the notes are pronounced.. It plays "White Clouds" by Decaf & "Silent Lucidity" by Queensryche pretty decent.
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• billt01 said:

I too..but I moved from Spotify and have yet not to find anything Spotify offered which Apple music did not.
    In my opinion Spotify has a better user interface and the stations/mixs seem to play more relevant content (if that makes sense).

Tampa, FL
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Great, thanks. I don't like my walls to shake. I like balance and will have to check this out.
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    In the market but leaning towards Sonos One - a) get 2 speakers for price of 1 homepod and b) not locked to Apple music.  

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• billt01
    Raymont said:
    In the market but leaning towards Sonos One - a) get 2 speakers for price of 1 homepod and b) not locked to Apple music.  
    The Sonia equivalent was another 150 bones... + w/ Apple no need for a Sub...
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Not a 2 way device but a great bluetooth speaker. We have a Boom 2 and have been using it with Spotify for a couple of years now. Waterproof too, you can take it in the shower.

https://www.ultimateears.com/en-us/wireless-speakers.html
  • billt01
    Eoin said:
    Not a 2 way device but a great bluetooth speaker. We have a Boom 2 and have been using it with Spotify for a couple of years now. Waterproof too, you can take it in the shower.

https://www.ultimateears.com/en-us/wireless-speakers.html
    And it’s 2/3’s the price of the POD....

Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Raymont said:
    The Sonos One is a no brainer. The audio quality of the HomePod may be slightly better then the Sonos One but these old ears don’t hear it. The HomePod locks you to Apple Music. With Sonos you have your choice of Amazon Prime or Unlimited music, Spotify, Pandora, Google Play, IHeartRadio, Tunein, and Apple Music. The Alexa app runs rings around Siri on the HomePod and Google Assistant is coming to Sonos One this year according the Sonos website. Currently the HomePod is stand alone and can not be paired for stereo like the Sonos Ones (this may be corrected with the release of AirPlay 2 later this year. Costwise without the Sonos One sale, you save $100. The Sonos app while it’s a little clunky works pretty good. I have 3 Sonos Ones and it’s real nice walking around the house with same music streaming throughout the rooms. Just to be transparent there are a few Alexa functions that current do not work on the Sonos Ones. The biggest is no Audible audiobooks function. This is supposed to be rectified this year but from what I understand this has been a issue with Sonos for the last couple of years. Hopefully Alexa and Sonos will fixit or with the release of AirPlay2 you will be able to use Audible through the Sonos app. I hope this helps.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.