Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any Appetizer ideas for leftover Pulled Pork?

Options
I'm going to a party this weekend and was trying to think of a good appetizer I can make with some of the pulled pork butt I have vacuum sealed and frozen.  Any thoughts? :pig:

I was trying to think of a dip or spread option that I can either keep in a crock pot or bake in the oven (put out like an artichoke dip).

Open to ideas if you have something that has worked well in the past.  I don't want to mess with sandwiches or anything like that.  If I did that, I'd bring fresh made pork.  I'm also trying to thin out the freezer.  :smiley:

One idea was I can look up one of those buffalo chicken dips people are always making (cheese, hot sauce and pulled chicken) but instead throw in my pork. :chicken:   Or maybe I just make an artichoke dip, but add in the pork.  OR, if all else fails... velveeta, pulled pork, smoked paprika, & hot sauce. 
LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Pull pork nachos are most excellent. Not really an appetizer but love me some pulled pork fried rice as well. Sliders also make a great app but know you aren't in for sammies.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    Nacho bar with pulled pork is a good idea. If you have access to a deep fryer pulled pork egg rolls or stuffed wontons are always a hit as well.  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Pulled pork loaded ABT's.  ABT's are always a hit, just mix the PP with your favorite cheese (heat level crowd dependent), load up the jalas and have at it.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Grilled Cheese Sandwiches - Magical!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Pulled pork potato skins
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Throw some pulled pork in a Tostitos Scoop and fancy it up however you like. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Pulled pork wontons are legit. Serve with variety of q sauces. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    either fried or baked taquitos served with the dip, some mild, some hot
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas so far, guys.

I don't have a fryer (although wontons and eggrolls sound nice) and I don't want to keep the meat plain because then I have to worry about keeping it moist and such at someone else's party.

Thinking of dips and spreads.

Quesadillas sound good also.  I guess I can make a pile at home, heat them up in the oven when I get there.  Easy finger food.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • northGAcock
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Thanks for all the ideas so far, guys.

I don't have a fryer (although wontons and eggrolls sound nice) and I don't want to keep the meat plain because then I have to worry about keeping it moist and such at someone else's party.

Thinking of dips and spreads.

Quesadillas sound good also.  I guess I can make a pile at home, heat them up in the oven when I get there.  Easy finger food.
    A 17" or 22" Blackstone would be perfect for Quesadillas. Just sayin.

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited March 2018
    Options
  • bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options
    Smoke some hard boiled eggs for deviled eggs. Add the pulled pork on top of the deviled eggs. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I think the list of apps that wouldn’t be better with pulled pork is shorter.
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Legume said:
    I think the list of apps that wouldn’t be better with pulled pork is shorter.
    :lol:  :lol:
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    Take half of a canned flaky biscuit, line a muffin pan with them. Mix the pulled pork with cream and cheddar cheeses plus chopped raw jalapeños. Bake indirect at 350 until the biscuit is done or about 15 minutes. This recipe originally for about half a cooked strip of bacon per biscuit half crumbled in. I’ll look up exact quantities on request.
  • Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Options
    Pulled pork egg rolls with bab sauce for dipping
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    Options
    Nachos were all ready covered to quesadillas or egg rolls or an omelette - essentially anything thats normally used for refrigerator velcro.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    A twist on ABT's - large dill pickles cut lengthwise, seeded, stuffed with cheese and pulled pork, wrapped in bacon, and smoked.

Trust me, they're killer.  =)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    The OP didn't want to mess with sammiches, and most of the above suggestions are more complicated.  
    But, sorry, I don't have any good suggestion either (pulled pork smoothies, while easy to make, didn't go over well for me).  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Mainegg from the old forum, had a recipe for ABT dip that sounded terrific. I would imagine it would work well with pulled pork instead of (or in addition to) bacon. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/856824/abt-dip

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• northGAcock
    Options
    A twist on ABT's - large dill pickles cut lengthwise, seeded, stuffed with cheese and pulled pork, wrapped in bacon, and smoked.

Trust me, they're killer.  =)
    Interesting idea. Wonder what a sweet or Bread and Butter type would tast like?

• CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    Ok @Teefus how do you make those? Rolled tortilla and bake?
  • fishlessman
    Options
    the trick is to roll then spray with oil, then bake at a high temp.  meat, cheese, salsa, roll, spray, bake
    fukahwee maine

• KiterTodd
    Options
    the trick is to roll then spray with oil, then bake at a high temp.  meat, cheese, salsa, roll, spray, bake
    Those look great.  Do you spray the entire rolled treat? It is so they don't stick together?  I assume you bake them bunched up next to each other so they don't unroll.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Take half of a canned flaky biscuit, line a muffin pan with them. Mix the pulled pork with cream and cheddar cheeses plus chopped raw jalapeños. Bake indirect at 350 until the biscuit is done or about 15 minutes. This recipe originally for about half a cooked strip of bacon per biscuit half crumbled in. I’ll look up exact quantities on request.
    Okay... this peeks my interest because it seems to be maximum results for minimum effort,  :smiley:

I'm not 100% clear on what we have here though. Is this like an open face biscuit/pork pizza thing or do you put a top on them?  It sounds like something that would still be good even as they cool down while sitting out.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    A couple other ideas I can think of. Chopped pulled pork added to some baked beans and a little BBQ sauce.  Or Brunswick stew in your crockpot.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • fishlessman
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Those look great.  Do you spray the entire rolled treat? It is so they don't stick together?  I assume you bake them bunched up next to each other so they don't unroll.
    if you wrap a small stack of tortillas in foil and warm them up in the oven, they roll up easy, then stuff roll and bake lined up on a sheet pan. the oil gives them some crispy bubbles if you cook them hot enough, you can just coat the top, eithr brush or spray
    fukahwee maine

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    edited March 2018
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Okay... this peeks my interest because it seems to be maximum results for minimum effort,  :smiley:

I'm not 100% clear on what we have here though. Is this like an open face biscuit/pork pizza thing or do you put a top on them?  It sounds like something that would still be good even as they cool down while sitting out.
    The half a biscuit becomes a cup with the filling inside. Recipe follows:
    8 slices of thick cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
    1 can flaked canned biscuits like Grands pull each  in half from the side not the top.
    6 jalapeños deseeded and chopped
    8 ounces of cream cheese at room temperature
    1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
    Preheat oven to 350F(or indirect egg). Cook bacon until crisp, draining excess fat on paper towels then crumble. Line each hole in a muffin tin with half a biscuit like a pie shell(up the sides also). Spoon in the mix of the above ingredients and bake for about 15 minutes. Each recipe yield 16.

I'll be making a double recipe for the family get together on the 31st since they go fast. I would allow about half a pound of pulled pork per batch going by how much thick cut bacon weighs if you substitute pulled pork for the bacon. If you try it let me know how it turns.