Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Sear NY Strips

Options
Started the evening off with a great meat and cheese platter while I got the egged prepped for dinner.

Enjoyed an amazing Steak tonight with some Burgundy Mushrooms and a Baked Potato paired with one of my favorite wines!  I can’t have a steak any other way after learning this technique from you guys!

Cheers!

Comments

• Kevinboatright
    Kevinboatright Posts: 278
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Did you recieve the other thing that goes along with March 14  
    I cant wait to try my first reverse sear steak. 
    Atlanta, GA 

LBGE, Mini-Max, Mini, 1995 BGE Chiminea, 22" Blackstone, Weber Genesis E-310. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Must. Not. Make. National Steak And BJ Day. Joke. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• hinescolton
    Options
    Did you recieve the other thing that goes along with March 14  
    I cant wait to try my first reverse sear steak. 
    Unfortunately no... : )
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Kevinboatright
    Options
    What technique did you use on the steak? 

I’ll leave the other technique to the ladies. 
    Atlanta, GA 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I’d enjoy that plate for sure. Nice job. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • hinescolton
    Options

I cooked the steaks indirect at 250 until they registered 128.  Took them off the grill and removed the plate setter.  I then cranked the grill up to 500 put a touch of canola oil on the steaks and seared them for a minute on each side.  After I removed them I placed some butter on them lightly covered with foil for 10 minutes.  
  • Kevinboatright
    Options

I cooked the steaks indirect at 250 until they registered 128.  Took them off the grill and removed the plate setter.  I then cranked the grill up to 500 put a touch of canola oil on the steaks and seared them for a minute on each side.  After I removed them I placed some butter on them lightly covered with foil for 10 minutes.  
    Sounds simple enough. What thickness steaks are you using? NY Strip is my favorite cut.  Also, does this method work with other cuts? 

You also just justified me getting a mini max. Use the large for cooking and mini max for searing. 
    Atlanta, GA 

• hinescolton
    Options

Sounds simple enough. What thickness steaks are you using? NY Strip is my favorite cut.  Also, does this method work with other cuts? 

You also just justified me getting a mini max. Use the large for cooking and mini max for searing. 
    These were 1 1/4- 1 1/2 thick.  I have done it with Ribeyes and they turned out great, I prefer a NY Strip though.  
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Nailed it!  I need to make some loaded baked potatoes..they look killer
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Solid cook..
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Kevinboatright
    Kevinboatright Posts: 278
    edited March 2018
    Options

These were 1 1/4- 1 1/2 thick.  I have done it with Ribeyes and they turned out great, I prefer a NY Strip though.  
    Perfect. I have a gift card to a local butcher shop. This sounds like a great time to use it and get to know my local butcher, now that I’ve had my egg for 2 years and have learned from my mistakes with cheaper cuts. 

I appreciate the help @hinescolton
    Atlanta, GA 

• Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Options
    Our Costco has NY strips for 6.99 lb. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Nice looking spread.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA