Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Adjustable Rig Do I want for my Large?

I am in the market for an adjustable rig from CGS, but I am having a hard time determining what setup I should get?  I utilize my egg for low and slow cooks, higher temps for pizza, sears etc.  and pretty much everything in between.     
Mankato, MN - LBGE

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,166
    Call Tom at CGS. He’ll get you squared away. 
  • Call Tom at CGS. He’ll get you squared away. 
    Tom got me squared away on both of my Large setups. I was on the fence and after telling him what I typically do he gave me some solid suggestions instead of just having me buy everything (which I was going to do). 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Adding the extender is great for pizzas.
    NOLA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    have been very happy with the round version but the oval is nice too. most of my rib cooks are done direct so the oval stone isnt needed in my cooks. your best option is to call tom, he is your best source for this info
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Tom is probably one of the most respectable online retailers I've ever worked with .
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    after a few years, i took the plunge on an AR this past winter. it was kind of confusing, because with just a platesetter and a few bricks, I could already do briskets, ribs, pizzas, whatever - what did I need an AR for?

when you're thinking about the rig, don't just think about the kind of cook, but the volumes you want to get into the egg.  The spider lets you put a heat deflector down low, so you can use lots of levels in the AR for more food.  

The AR also gives me tons of flexibility for cooking on multiple levels at once - way more flexibility than my bricks and second grate.

anyhow, the more you define what you want to cook, and how much of it, the better idea you'll get of what you need.  Tom at CGS is really helpful.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,427
    I did not talk to Tom, I just ordered everything I thought I might ever need.  It is awesome.  I have the R&B Adjustable Rig setup.  With the three levels, you can be super lazy.  Stone on bottom level, drip pan above, protein above that.  Or as blind says, drop a stone on the woo down low and put 3 levels of meat on.  I still have yet to use everything I purchased.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Another vote for making the call.  you will get straight answers and great hardware.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.