Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Opinions please on Table Nest for new built in egg platform

Options
We are building a new home which will have an outdoor grill area. Small built in gasser and a platform for my large egg. Construction will be all brick and my intent was to get the "table nest" to elevate the egg off the platform for air flow. However, I just looked at the official BGE website and it says the table nest is not recommended for freestanding; only if the egg is to be supported by a table or surround. Mine is not going to be supported that way. 

So, input please...since the construction of the platform for the egg will be all cinderblock/brick with likely a concrete landing pad, should I just set the egg directly on it and skip the air gap? Or are there some other suggested options to consider? Our builder will start this part of the project soon, so I'll need to give him the final height of the BGE stage. Thanks for your thoughts. 

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I don't think an air gap is necessarily needed but it might help reduce the chance of the concrete and egg from cracking. I'd personally place it in a table nest so you get some type of air gap under it. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I think you definitely want an air gap. Sorry I don't have any idea about how to best secure it, but I would be nervous about just setting it there unprotected and unachored, air gap or not.
    Stillwater, MN
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    I would use the table nest for two reasons.  If the spot where the egg will sit is uneven, you may have a crack form in the bottom of the egg. Also, even if the resting spot can take all of the heat the egg can dish out, the egg will be retaining much more heat than if it was in the table nest. If the base were to crack from the heat it is covered by warranty, but putting in the new one would be a hassle.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    much easier to clean around 4 little feet than one round base when it comes to ash and stuff.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I’m a huge proponent of the table nest, however, it is not very stable if used in the condition you are describing. I would try to find a way to provide some sort of stabilization at or near the lid like a top or something. Good luck, that’s a tough one imo. 
  • troutbum
    Options
    Thanks for the replies... the key fact of my new planned Egg location is that there is no support for the upper portion of the Egg. I had assumed the Table Nest would be similar to the current Nest I have for the LBGE (standard rolling nest), BUT, when I looked at the BGE site today at the table nest, they specifically say NOT to use the table nest unless the Egg is also supported by a "table, island or other surround"... my new design does not include a 'surround' for the egg to sit in...
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    First class. Enjoy!
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Looks PERFECT!  Great setup!
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Very nice! Great work
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I really like that, good solution.

Phoenix 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,516
    Options
    Great idea, you should copyright it before it shows up in next year's HPBA Expo new product promo video  =)
    canuckland
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I like this way more than bge's table nest. I know someone who is going to put an outdoor kitchen in and this would be perfect. Do you have more pics of the process?
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited March 2018
    Options

I assume there will be some kind of alcove where the egg will sit.  I would consider dropping anchors into the masonry.   If you look at how the Nest Handler is bracketed to the band, this can be replicated into the side walls eliminating wobble and topple risk

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • troutbum
    troutbum Posts: 12
    Options
    I only took one photo during the process, because I was doing most of the cutting and grinding; I left the welding to my friend. But here's the action photo where you can see the nest parts on the welding table. 
  • troutbum
    troutbum Posts: 12
    Options
    @johnnyp I thought I was going to need to anchor the egg better too. There is a brick wall across the back of the little platform where the egg sits; but, since we've gotten the Nest modified, it is very stable. I was concerned that the "table nest" would not have been nearly as stable. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,173
    Options
    I really like that mod. I see Smokeware’s next best seller. Patent your design first. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    That is awesome. I might have to steal that idea when we get our next house soon.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.