Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wagyu Tri tip reverse seared

Options

In the last 6 months I have  been blessed with the opening of not one,  but two phenomenal butcher shops in my area. Prior to that, most everything came from Costco and  Publix.  It has been a real blessing and definitely changed the game for me. On Friday I walked out of one of these shops with a 3 lb Wagyu Tri tip rated 11 on a scale of 12. 
Birthday is tomorrow so why not? Rubbed it down with my favorite coffee rub(been using coffee rubs on Tri tips for a while now and it is my preference) and placed on the egg indirect at 250 with Rockwood and a little oak.  Drank a few beers (of course) and brought the IT to 129 over an hour or so. Finished off the reverse sear on my gasser (to save time , started raining pretty hard ) for about 2.5 minutes a side at 600. Let it rest for 10 -15 minutes. Cutting temperature was 138. Guys when I say this was phenomenal, it doesn’t do it justice . Absolutely melted in my mouth and was one of the best ever.  I suck at presentation and didn’t do anything fancy with the sides but this was awesome.
Upstate SC
Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic

Comments

• CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Never had Wagyu in my life, have no concept what it's like, but wow, looks great!
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Awesome marbling!  And now I'm hungry again...
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Very nice. Love the TriTip...also a fan of the coffee (expresso) rub myself. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

Nicely done!

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    etherdome said:

In the last 6 months I have  been blessed with the opening of not one,  but two phenomenal butcher shops in my area. Prior to that, most everything came from Costco and  Publix.  It has been a real blessing and definitely changed the game for me. On Friday I walked out of one of these shops with a 3 lb Wagyu Tri tip rated 11 on a scale of 12. 
    Birthday is tomorrow so why not? Rubbed it down with my favorite coffee rub(been using coffee rubs on Tri tips for a while now and it is my preference) and placed on the egg indirect at 250 with Rockwood and a little oak.  Drank a few beers (of course) and brought the IT to 129 over an hour or so. Finished off the reverse sear on my gasser (to save time , started raining pretty hard ) for about 2.5 minutes a side at 600. Let it rest for 10 -15 minutes. Cutting temperature was 138. Guys when I say this was phenomenal, it doesn’t do it justice . Absolutely melted in my mouth and was one of the best ever.  I suck at presentation and didn’t do anything fancy with the sides but this was awesome.
    Where are these butcher shops? I get down that way some. 
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @RRog17 , I'm in Spartanburg, SC. If you ever want specifics, let me know and I'll PM you. 
    Upstate SC
  • UNCHeels08
    UNCHeels08 Posts: 116
    Options
    Man I need to try a Tri tip again. Only one I’ve done had good flavor but was pretty tough. It was a packaged Trader Joe’s one and it didn’t look like the normal shape I see on here, so maybe that caused me to not properly find the grain.

Need to try one from the local butcher like you did. Yours looks phenomenal. 
    Raleigh, NC

LBGE
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    What a feast. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    May I ask what the per pound price was?
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • etherdome
    edited March 2018
    Options
    JNDATHP said:
    May I ask what the per pound price was?
    Around $20/lb.  A definite luxury for my birthday and not  what I want to spend on a regular basis. Next Wagyu for me will be a strip. Not sure I could handle the richness of a wagyu ribeye. 
    Upstate SC
  • etherdome
    Options
    Man I need to try a Tri tip again. Only one I’ve done had good flavor but was pretty tough. It was a packaged Trader Joe’s one and it didn’t look like the normal shape I see on here, so maybe that caused me to not properly find the grain.

Need to try one from the local butcher like you did. Yours looks phenomenal. 
    I’ve never tried a packaged one. I traditionally have gotten the butcher and my local Publix to cut one for me when they have sirloin on sale and honestly they usually cut it more triangular. This is the first Tri tip I have ever purchased with the classic shape. 
    Upstate SC
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    etherdome said:
    @RRog17 , I'm in Spartanburg, SC. If you ever want specifics, let me know and I'll PM you. 
    Yes, please. 
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • etherdome
    Options
    RRog17 said:
    etherdome said:
    Yes, please. 
    @RRog17, done. Check your messages. 
    Upstate SC
  • northGAcock
    Options
    etherdome said:
    Is the NuWay lounge still in operation?

• etherdome
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @northGAcock, sure is .
    Upstate SC
  • northGAcock
    Options
    etherdome said:
    @northGAcock, sure is .
    i lived in the Sparkle City for about 6 months back in prob 1983. Had a great time there.

• Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
    Happy belated B-Day!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Looks like you did it perfect justice!! 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum