Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: question for you tech guys , regarding smart home automation

odie91
odie91 Posts: 541
So far I have a few devices:  Ecobee thermostat, and a few TP Link light switches and outlets.  My understanding on how they function is that I communicate with the companys' off site servers, and then the servers send signals back and forth with the devices to control them.

If I add a Samsung smart hub into the equation, would my devices be able to communicate locally with my smart hub alone, and then control the devices through Samsung's server, thus bypassing the Ecobee and TP Link servers altogether?

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    With the light switches, probably yes.  I think the ecobee has to go through their own servers.
    NOLA
  • pdevoy
    pdevoy Posts: 25
    I have several TP link automated light switches. i installed and configured them to work on voice command with Amazon alexa. TP link switches are controlled by the KASA smart phone app and operate complete standalone in your house through your home WiFi. I must mention....they do NOT send any commands to any remote servers. You can contact me directly if you want more information. 
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    pdevoy said:
    I have several TP link automated light switches. i installed and configured them to work on voice command with Amazon alexa. TP link switches are controlled by the KASA smart phone app and operate complete standalone in your house through your home WiFi. I must mention....they do NOT send any commands to any remote servers. You can contact me directly if you want more information. 
    The voice of wisdom!!!

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Take a look at control4. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    I'm not ready yet for home automation.  Last night I stepped out of the shower, naked, and Alexa started laughing at me.  :angry:

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    pdevoy said:
    If you are away from home and using the Kasa app, then isn't it using one of their remote servers to communicate?

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Take a look at control4. 
    I second Control4, great system. I use it to control my home entertainment system, HVAC, lighting, garage doors. I add more components to it every year. 

Crestron is another great system, but both are pricey. 

The upside is that you can control just about anything with these two - lawn irrigation systems, driveway gates, security cameras, motorized drapes/shades, the list goes on and on. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • pdevoy
    pdevoy Posts: 25
    if you are away from home and you need to control your TP Link automated lights using the KASA smart phone app you are actually going through your  home router and communicating  across your personal home WIFI using the DHCP IP address(s) that was assigned to the lighting hardware when you configured it during installation, all of this is covered in the instructions included with the TP Link light bulbs or automated light switch. i think they did a pretty good job documenting the installation considering what it involves. go online and pick one of the devices you intend to use... go to the vendors website and view/download the installation and user guides to determine if you could do it yourself. also its very helpful to view any how to videos from the public or hardware vendor. the folks at TP link (this is the vendor i chose) has technical support folks that will answer any question you have. READ the online reviews....not all hardware vendors are the same.... hope this helps