Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Asking for a friend - indoor egg?

Options

I reside in Phoenix, so I don't have a need for this.  However, I still have friends up in Canada who have different types of shops.  What would be wrong with installing a commercial hood fan and cooking on an egg right in the shop?

Obviously carbon dioxide detectors would be needed, and the egg couldn't be left unattended, and the building would have to be concrete / steel.

I know there are unfortunate stories, but given the scenario I laid out, what is the downside?  How specifically would this be different than a wood stove?  I'm thinking with a commercial hood, my friends to the north could cook inside, and utilize the generated heat.

Thanks for the input.

Phoenix 

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Restaurants do this.   If the appropriate safeguards are in place, I see no reason why it can't (or shouldn't) be done.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    Here a video of my egg friends restaurant. They use their egg indoors daily

https://youtu.be/L9gbiQAWKjY
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    have done it in the shop with half a oil tank used as a grill, the other half above with a large flexible vent pipe hooked to a window vent fan.  i use the same setups for welding and plasma burning smoke vents with blower fans.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have always understood it to be a very bad idea. Never saw anything that said you shouldn't burn charcoal indoors UNLESS you have a good exhaust fan or unless your building is made of metal or unless you have CO detectors or unless you never leave it unattended. Just that you should never burn charcoal indoors. Period.

Lawyers talkin'? Maybe. Dunno.

Then again, the Weber Grill does it.
    Image result for weber grill restaurant

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    would mention though, a good vent sucks the heat out of the building. the closer the vent to the smoke output the better
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    What's their issue with using it outside? Are they new to Canada?
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Double check with insurance company.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Thanks all for the input.

@AlbertaEgger It's not that anyone has an issue.  Some days are simply miserable up there, while shops need heating.  I'm just thinking out loud about killing a couple birds.
    Phoenix 
  • Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    Options
    What's their issue with using it outside? Are they new to Canada?
    Agreed =)
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Tell them to grab a case of Molson, turn on a hockey game, while ice fishing, next to their shop, and check the BGE every so often.

I know, I know, July and maybe August,  is bad for ice fishing, so mount ghe egg on skids, and have the dog team pull it to more solid ground during those two months......but the other ten months, it could work, no problem, amiright?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Carbon dioxide gonna give them some serious burps.

Carbon Monoxide gonna suffocate them. Big difference lol
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    They have to have x amount of fresh air exchanges per minute by code re: F.A.M. fresh air make-up. Ventilation in the hood plus an air curtain in said hood + Ansul suppression. As far as burping an egg I'd say they have it covered. Then again this is in Canada :get_outta_here:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL