Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bread - I finally figured it out

Options
2»

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,345
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @HeavyG Here's a bit from the last of the loaf I posted.

I'm pretty happy with this crumb. I like an open crumb but not too much. I know large open holes are like a holy grail for some, but too open and you can't add mustard, mayo, honey, or whatever to the bread without it running through. 
    I'm really pleased with the oven spring I've been getting lately. 
    Nice.

Agreed - too large a crumb makes it potentially too messy for butter and honey. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Bookmarked so I can refer back to your tips. Thanks for the details. 

I would love to get an open crumb like yours. I'm going to try 75% hydration + higher temp and see what that does. I've been baking mine at 400, but see that you bake at 500. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @caliking I don't know how you shape your loaves - but try preshaping, resting 30 minutes, then shaping with that stitching method shown in the youtube. That alone made a big difference in my oven spring and the openess of the crumb. 
    Post your results. There are several here that I'm sure are interested. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I doubt that I'm doing it right. After the first rise, I punch the dough down and shape it into a ball by stretching and gathering it on one side,  so that one side is smooth. Let it ride in a banneton smooth side down, then flip it into a DO when ready to bake after the second rise. 

I'll try the stitching method, and it will probably help, since I've mostly been winging it!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • tymaier
    tymaier Posts: 93
    Options
     Sorry to revive an old thread. Just followed the recipe and my goodness this was some good bread!!!!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Hey @SciAggie the list of cooks you're mastering is growing, my friend!  Nice work on this one!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Hey @SciAggie the list of cooks you're mastering is growing, my friend!  Nice work on this one!
    Thanks for saying that. I have learned a lot from this forum. It also inspires me to try new things and learn new skills.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • tymaier
    tymaier Posts: 93
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    thetrim said:
    Thanks for saying that. I have learned a lot from this forum. It also inspires me to try new things and learn new skills.
    That was my first time using King Arthur flour. Huge difference!
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    This is a great video on shipping as well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEG1BjWroT0

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Beautiful!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va