Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's the secret to maintaining temps???

Options
As I write this I am in the process of my 4th cook and my first time trying ribs. Like all the previous cooks I am constantly chasing the targeted temp. I am cooking these ribs at 250 degrees but I can't seem to get a constant temp. I am at 270 and then I close the vents a small amount and then I am at 230 then 20 minutes later I am st 280 and so on throughout the entire cook. I read about Eggers who are able to get the desired temp and then they never have to touch it again. The constant babysitting is really reducing the pleasure I would otherwise get using the egg .

Anone have any helpful advice??

Thanks

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    40 degrees is insignificant. Just don’t chase it. Roll with it. There is nothing magical about 225 or 250. 
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Small adjustments, long periods of time between changes, and do most of it before you put any food on the grid at all.
    Mountain View, CA
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Less is more. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Keep in mind there is likely more unpredictable variables in the proteins than the cooker temp. You can reasonably predict the temp difference factor. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    When you mention your initial stable temp how long has the BGE been there?  Reason for asking is that there is quite a mass of ceramics to get into equilibrium from the shell itself to any internals you load, platesetter or some other heat deflector.  As long as the "system" is still heating up then the number on the thermo is just a measure of that is going on.
    As mentioned above, the feedback loop takes some time to respond to any air-flow changes (the temperature change driver).  Work within a range of where the BGE wants to stabilize.  My LBGE will settle anywhere between 230-270*F with about the same vent settings.  Lump load and air flow really dictate the end-game.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    This repost of a very old post may be of some help. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/746823/vent-settings-a-visual-guide#latest
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • grillman14
    Options
    Always make sure that the fire is established before you start reducing the air flow. I always only start one fire directly in the center and get to 400-450 degrees before I add my conveggtor and cold meat. Then start to close bottom vent to 1/2" or so... bottom is macro top is micro.... also Egg charcoal is important ... I've never had an issue maintaining or controlling with Egg charcoal... 
    Remember that grilling is more than preparing food… It’s time with family and friends, it’s your heritage and childhood memories….
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    During my first year with the Egg, I learned one important lesson. When I adjust the vents, I need to give it 20 minutes before I look to see what that adjustment actually did.

I also gradually learned that when I had a constant temperature for a long time (meaning well over half an hour), I could make a mental note of exactly where my vents were set and just duplicate that setting in the future.

In time, I learned still another valuable lesson. Buy a FlameBoss 200 and let the electronics handle it for me. That's a serious comment, but I really only use it for long cooks. Most of the time my first two lessons are enough to get the job done nicely.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Note that over time your vent settings can vary a bit based on ash in your egg (affecting airflow), external conditions, creosote buildup in your cap, etc, etc.  You will learn what your egg likes, just don't mess with it.

I'm not really a fan of the electronics, but I'm also too lazy to set all that stuff up.
    NOLA
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    slow down and don't worry about 30-40 degree fluctuations on a longer cook. It's not an electric oven and most meat you cook on an egg is very amenable to fluctuations.  Based on your low temp comments you may be trying a low and slow pork butt.  That's fine.  But once you go Turbo on pork butts, you'll never go back.  Turbo ( search for it) is low 300s for about 8 hours.  None of this staying up all night sh!t.  

I will say that if you use a rub that contains sugar you should keep it under 350*.  I also like writing big words like "fluctuations" so you can take that for what it's worth.  

p.s. unless you have a sharp sense of humor don't click on anything labeled OT for Off Topic.  We will not be held responsible for what you may see or read. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Options
    Like the veterans have stated, more fiddling is okay for Charlie Daniels not so.much for an egghead. Let temp settle in for 45-60 minutes and make small adjustments on bottom vent, remember like stated above you have to have a solid burn going on the lump before dialing the vents in.
    Took me 4-5 cooks to get it right !
    Hang in there you'll get it !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    bgebrent said:

If I don't have speed gauge on my egg how do I do it?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:

If I don't have speed gauge on my egg how do I do it?
    You lick your finger and then touch the grate after burping the egg.  The learning curve is quick and informative.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Let your target temp stabilize for a half hour or so first. Also make sure you have good lump, don’t empty the bottom of a bag on top of what you already have. If you’ve got a bunch of fine in a bag either throw it away or use a little for each cook. It’s pretty easy after that. 
  • Gravytrain84
    Options
    RandyC said:
    As I write this I am in the process of my 4th cook and my first time trying ribs. Like all the previous cooks I am constantly chasing the targeted temp. I am cooking these ribs at 250 degrees but I can't seem to get a constant temp. I am at 270 and then I close the vents a small amount and then I am at 230 then 20 minutes later I am st 280 and so on throughout the entire cook. I read about Eggers who are able to get the desired temp and then they never have to touch it again. The constant babysitting is really reducing the pleasure I would otherwise get using the egg .

Plug in da flameboss, dial in ya temp, crack a cold beer or 6, relax, profit. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Let your target temp stabilize for a half hour or so first. Also make sure you have good lump, don’t empty the bottom of a bag on top of what you already have. If you’ve got a bunch of fine in a bag either throw it away or use a little for each cook. It’s pretty easy after that. 
    The fines do impede airflow, so not a negative for L & S cooks.  If a lot it can impair getting up to higher temps.
  • FlyOverCountry
    Options
    I have this problem too where I can get it up at first but have a hard time keeping it up.
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    go to bed Nola
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    GrillSgt said:
    The fines do impede airflow, so not a negative for L & S cooks.  If a lot it can impair getting up to higher temps.
    I found that it won’t let me stabilize at a low temp. Have to get 250ish or more. Of course 250 is a low temp for a lot of people. Not trying to be an ahole (I come by that naturally) but I never have an issue keeping a temp as low as 200. The trick is having fresh lump. When you have a lot of half burnt stuff I find I get erratic temps and when I try to compensate I really screw it up. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I would tell you except it is a secret.
    Options
    Learn the temp settings with the bottom vent on everything 300F or higher without the Daisy wheel. Lower temps need both. @bgebrent had made a post earlier, which is just about spot on.
    Once you understand your BGE, and vent control for temp, it is likely your issue with temp control will diminish to nothing.
    Just takes some time, and patience.
    Good luck.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • FlyOverCountry
    Options
    Or maybe it’s the getting up is the hard part. Once up I can usually keep it up no problem.