Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jack’s Old South

Options
CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
Day 1 this evening was registration, a meet and greet, and some fried chicken, catfish, hush puppies, hand cut fries, slaw, and homemade banana pudding. Will post more at the end of the day tomorrow. 

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• CTMike
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Forgot to mention, as others have reported, he is nothing like his TV personality.  Very friendly, easy to talk you, answers all your questions, etc. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @CTMike - I'm sure you will comply with the non-disclosure agreements.  If your experience is like all the previous posted here, you will have an incredible time and definitely elevate your game.  Above all, enjoy and have fun.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CTMike
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @CTMike - I'm sure you will comply with the non-disclosure agreements.  If your experience is like all the previous posted here, you will have an incredible time and definitely elevate your game.  Above all, enjoy and have fun.  

Yup,

Stated up front that we could take all the photos we want, no audio or video recording, and no posting photos of the blind turn-in boxes. 

On another note, the weather down here is sunny and in the mid-60’s. Missing out on the bomb cyclone that is tearing up New England. My son texted me this photo from the house looking down the driveway towards the street. He tells me the Eggs are safe. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lousubcap
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Dang- I've gotta admit that the recent weather patterns have introduced me to new weather terms like bomb cyclone that evidently have been out there for years but never main-stream til now.  I hope all are safe and in addition to your BGE's  "Ol' Mortimer" and all your property comes thru unscathed.  
    Edit:  No further damage beyond that in the pic.  Hopefully the lights are still on.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Have fun and all the best to your family back and up East
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I am only 100 miles away. I would love to take that class! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Very jealous!   When I met him in the airport he was gracious enough to share some of his brisket wisdom with me.   He's a little unorthodox as he loves the foil pans and no-bark briskets, but he said 2 things: 

1) During the rest just wrap a moving blanket several times around the foiled meat.  

2) Ignore the flat and only monitor the temp in the point.   When it hits 205 take it off.

I still haven't gotten onboard with the #2 tip. I feel like @lousubcap would slap me if I did. 

Enjoy the weekend and thanks for posting what you can!!
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Enjoy the weekend Mike and post up some grub.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    The whole hog and and a full day of prepping await you today. I hope you eat a light lunch today....you will be feasting this evening.  =)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    I would love to do this!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    Options
    Very cool Mike!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Sweet!  Have fun. Sorry about the storm back home, but glad to hear the eggs made it through intact. 
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Tomorrow morning will be whole hog and turkey for breakfast.  :)

You'll be writing notes fast and furiously tomorrow when Myron does his time line cook. I hope you brought a cooler with you to take some food home. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options

I'm jealous...trip is high on my bucket list....have a big time for me and you!!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• CTMike
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Crown and Coke and Rocky Patel 12 year cigar courtesy of MM

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Options
    Thanks for posting, looks great. 
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Such a cool experience. Keep the posts coming!
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    Options
    Looks like a good time, is that a peach in the beans?
    Near San Francisco in California
  • CTMike
    Options
    baychilla said:
    Looks like a good time, is that a peach in the beans?
    Yup, the beans were a little bland for my tastes (I like spicy doctored beans).

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    Options
    Finished up the class at 2 this afternoon, and just got to our hotel in London, KY. Can’t say enough good things about the class - if you’ve been thinking about it - jump in, I guarantee you will learn something, and no regrets. 

As others have stated he is nothing like his TV personality - very nice guy, answers any and all questions, easy to talk to. 

On to tour Woodford Reserve and maybe another distillery or two tomorrow. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Glad it was a great event-and you reinforced all the prior threads.  
    Now-If you have time after Woodford, then I would make it over to Four Roses which is only around 20 miles away.  The architecture is a whole different style (Spanish).  Get there before 3PM and enjoy.
    Like you I recall when Four Roses wasn't worth the glass bottle-they have really upped their game.  Wherever you land you will have a great time-but not like your cooking experience.  
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Finished up the class at 2 this afternoon, and just got to our hotel in London, KY. Can’t say enough good things about the class - if you’ve been thinking about it - jump in, I guarantee you will learn something, and no regrets. 

As others have stated he is nothing like his TV personality - very nice guy, answers any and all questions, easy to talk to. 

On to tour Woodford Reserve and maybe another distillery or two tomorrow. 

London, KY? Now you’re in my area. I’m in London usually a couple times a month and only live about 90 miles from there. 
  • CTMike
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Now-If you have time after Woodford, then I would make it over to Four Roses which is only around 20 miles away.  The architecture is a whole different style (Spanish).  Get there before 3PM and enjoy.
    Like you I recall when Four Roses wasn't worth the glass bottle-they have really upped their game.  Wherever you land you will have a great time-but not like your cooking experience.  
    Thanks for the tip @lousubcap, 4 Roses it is. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options

CTMike said
    Forgot to mention, as others have reported, he is nothing like his TV personality.  Very friendly, easy to talk you, answers all your questions, etc. 
    does anyone from Myron's cook team help with the weekend???  what was the intensity level for the weekend as far as staff and the folks there for the course...

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Four Roses used to be good enough for Paulie!  BTW, @lousubcap I still haven't open that bottle of Four Roses you sent to me.  (Why was that, again?)  I'm planning on having it ready for BB18 if I am able to make it.  Cheers!

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • CTMike
    Options
    pasoegg said:

CTMike said
    does anyone from Myron's cook team help with the weekend???  what was the intensity level for the weekend as far as staff and the folks there for the course...

Pretty much his entire team was there helping out. There was a fair amount of down time over the course of Saturday and Sunday. Friday night was just a meet and greet. 

We didn’t do any of the cooking - Saturday was all prep, Sunday was all about timelines for comps. What we prepped Saturday was cooked by his team for our dinner. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    We are addicts when it comes to watching him on TV! We actually DVR the BBQ shows and watch later during some down time. I have actually looked up prices and given this a thought. It's definitely a bucket list item that i might check off one of these days...

Glad to hear that you enjoyed!!
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    So @CTMike - what was your biggest tip/lesson that you walked away with? 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • CTMike
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    So @CTMike - what was your biggest tip/lesson that you walked away with? 
    Timelines for cooking to meet turn-ins

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT.