Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ramos potato chips/fries ... well, that's a game changer

Options
Stormbringer
Stormbringer Posts: 2,072
edited February 2018 in Sides
This might only appeal to the EU members, I don't know if Ramos potatoes are available on the other side of the pond. But if they are, give 'em a try. A white potato, Dutch-bred main crop, they make amazing chips/fries, potato wedges and jacket spuds. A decent margin of error when cooking before they are overcooked. Fluffy texture and a decent, clean, non-waxy flavour.

https://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk/2018/02/18/ramos-potatoes-where-have-you-been/

Chips / fries served in a basket with some tomato ketchup and a burger:

Oven baked potato wedges served with roast duck leg:

A baked Ramos potato, the skin was quite thin and really crispy:

Thanks for looking!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I've never seen Ramos potatoes, but I have to say, your chips always look absolutely wonderful! Mine come out of a bag, frozen, and "fried" in an air fryer. The good news is, they are done in 15 minutes and I have no clean up! =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Stormbringer
    Options
    I've never seen Ramos potatoes, but I have to say, your chips always look absolutely wonderful! Mine come out of a bag, frozen, and "fried" in an air fryer. The good news is, they are done in 15 minutes and I have no clean up! =)

Ah go on, give it a try :). Also good to see you using the correct noun. :disappointed: 

I've seen variable reviews of air fryers, which model do you have?
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• OhioEgger
    Options
    Oh, they are beautiful! My mouth is watering just looking at them.

Very hard here in the US to get decent frying potatoes. I think the main variety used in Belgium is Bintje, and I have tried for years to get a few to plant in my garden just for this, but no luck. I'm guessing Ramos is probably related.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

Ah go on, give it a try :). Also good to see you using the correct noun. :disappointed: 

I've seen variable reviews of air fryers, which model do you have?
    The "correct" noun? I just did that because you're a Brit. Everyone else knows they're fries. (Just messin' with you. =))

I've seen the variable air fryer reviews too, including mine. Saw one that said, "It works great... until it doesn't." Received mine as a Christmas gift, 2016. From my son. So far so good. Mine is the E'Cucina HealthyFry sold by Sur la Table. They don't sell my model now, just an XL unit. I did some looking and can't find much. Not a good sign.

Here's a pic of some from scratch (i.e. not frozen) fries =) done with it (and egged pork bbq with pressure cooked "baked" beans).

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,072
    Options
    Now that is a great looking plate of food, @Carolina Q ... I think I will look into air fryers, this one is popular:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electric-Blusmart-Temperature-Control-Display/dp/B071GN9DY3/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_sims?ie=UTF8

and the picture of chicken wings was a winner.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Air Fryers....are they made by the same company that makes Air Guitars?
    Options
    Seriously though, those potatoes sound good.  I'll keep an eye out for them, although I won't get my hopes up as that article seems to indicate they're rare in Europe where they're grown.
    Options
    Seriously though, those potatoes sound good.  I'll keep an eye out for them, although I won't get my hopes up as that article seems to indicate they're rare in Europe where they're grown.
    They are rare in the UK, although one of my fellow eggers over here managed to find a retailer that sells them. They seem to be only for wholesale/on-trade which is a shame.