Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First ribs on an egg. Jimmy edition.

Well let's see how my egg does some ribs on pork day.

Meat shot with bash brothers rub.

XLBGE - LBGE - Charbroil gasgrill

Wichita Kansas

Comments

• jimdgreat1
    jimdgreat1 Posts: 175
    I forgot a covered in rub pic.

Wichita Kansas

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932

The Emperor's New Rub

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • jimdgreat1
    Kind of crammed together. Need a rack.

Wichita Kansas

• jimdgreat1
    Old dog approved.

Wichita Kansas

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    You can try and lean them into each other in an "A" frame concept if you feel like it.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jimdgreat1
    I guess this is working.

Wichita Kansas

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Old dog looks hungry..........better get the robs finished and feed him!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • jimdgreat1
    Rockwood lump from the Ace hardware sale.

Wichita Kansas

• jimdgreat1
    What do I do with this stuff?

Wichita Kansas

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    i turned my kettle into an herb garden, its in the living room til spring sitting in a sunny window =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jimdgreat1
    One hour in.

Wichita Kansas

• jimdgreat1
    Forgot to post the previous pic.
    2 hours in. Can't decide if I should pull and wrap or leave be.

Wichita Kansas

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    johnnyp said:

The Emperor's New Rub

Laugh of the day!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Let it be.  FWIW A probe isn't necessary.  When you can insert a toothpick in between the bones with little resistance, they are done.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• jimdgreat1
    Let it be.  FWIW A probe isn't necessary.  When you can insert a toothpick in between the bones with little resistance, they are done.

New toys! Have to play with the maverick.

Wichita Kansas

• In too see how these turn out. Lol
    Atlanta, GA 

LBGE, Mini-Max, Mini, 1995 BGE Chiminea, 22" Blackstone, Weber Genesis E-310. 
  • jimdgreat1
    jaydub58 said:
    Old dog looks hungry..........better get the robs finished and feed him!

Her. (Molly)

My brand new maverick et-732 keeps losing signal in the house. Seems to be a problem.

Wichita Kansas

• jimdgreat1
    New tradition? My carry pistola during the cook. Not bbq gun quality but I'm home by myself. Old FEG hipower clone.

Wichita Kansas

• jimdgreat1
    I have failed. Pulled them off, pyrex, covered, and in the oven. How I finished them before off the indirect. Maybe someday I'll figure the egg out. Not fall off bone yet.

Wichita Kansas

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I'm sorry they didn't turn out the way you wanted!  I don't really understand your last post about pyrex, in the oven.  FWIW, here's the deal as far as I'm concerned:
    1. I use a lot more rub than I saw on your picture, but obviously that's a matter of personal taste.  Maybe you like them better when it's mostly the pork flavor.
    2. Like others said above, forget the temperature of the pork.  Just keep smoking them until they pass the "bend test" (they bend 90° when you hold one end and let the other end dangle), or the "toothpick test" (a toothpick goes into the meat with very little resistance).  If they were "tough," they weren't done.  No need for the oven -- leave them on the Egg until they are tender.
    3. For me, anyway, no spritzing is needed, no water pan, no wrapping.  Sometimes I add some BBQ sauce as a glaze when they're pretty near done and let it set in the Egg, glaze them again.  Sometimes I just have them without sauce, or have it on the side.
    Some like 3-1-1 (3h smoke, 1h wrap, 1h unwrapped again), but I love them so well without bothering with wrapping I've never tried it.  Some people feel like wrapping makes them a little mushy, and less smoky bark, but everybody has their own preferences.

Temp of the Egg doesn't seem to make an awful lot of difference in the final product -- some prefer low and slow around 250°, others "turbo" them at 300° or even 350°.  They obviously cook faster at higher temps so you need to pay attention to when they're getting done.

Lots of people here LOVE ribs on the Egg, so if you didn't like this so well, be more specific about exactly what you did and what you didn't like, and some people here who are much more experienced than I with ribs (and I love my ribs!) will help you out!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    As noted by @Theophan, all rib cooks are some variation around X-0-0 which translates into the following: Basically ribs are cooked as usual (bone side down for me) for the first X hours. Then they are removed from the cooker and wrapped with liquid (Q sauce, some other liquid for flavoring etc) in a foil pouch with the meat side down. This becomes step -0- mentioned above. The sealed ribs are then returned to the cooker.  At the end of the "0" time-frame, the ribs are removed from the foil and then put back on the BGE for the final "0" time-frame.  This is when sauce is added if you desire.  X-X-X defines the cook cycle.  Those of us X-0-0 run without any of the above extras.  It's all in what you like.  
    The search function will yield more info than you can digest.  Pick a method, note the outcome and change-up one variable at a time til you land where you enjoy the results.   
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.