Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat slicers and raw meat

Options
2»

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    FarmerTom said:
    I know many of you guys may have some high end knives.  But would you be satisfied with that Victorinox  set?  I don't want to pay a fair amount of $$ only to find they might not hold up well, or keep a good edge.

starting over again knowing what I do today I would jump on that $120 set. I already have 3 Victorinox knives, just ordered that 10" breaker today, but also have a collection acquired over the years of economical but solidly made Chicao Cutery knives. Oh yes, my wife also has a $250 set of white handled CutCo knives that are brand new in spite of being 25 years old because they are too good and too sharp so she is scared of them and they stay hidden away!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited December 2014
    Options
    FarmerTom said:
    Thanks,  If they are good enough for you guys with all the cooking you do,  I should be very satisfied. 
    Tom, I bought the 14" Victorinox from @SGH suggestion at www.Katom.com and i couldn't be happier it is a huge knife but there is nothing I can't cut.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    For the money it's hard to beat Victorinox. Especially for reducing and breaking purposes.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• mangvan
    Options
    I am wondering if slicers can cut raw meat as well or if I should invest in a sharper knife. japanese chef knife

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options

have you done dry aged with the Victorinox?  when I am doing the dry aged that out later is a pain in the butt to cut through and I would love a better option.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Kent8621 said:

have you done dry aged with the Victorinox?  when I am doing the dry aged that out later is a pain in the butt to cut through and I would love a better option.

I use this bad boy for steaking out my dry aged beef.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    thanks guys, I added it my amazon wish list, I will be getting it before my next round of steak is ready.  going to start one after vacation in a few weeks, and get it ready for mothers day.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    a lot of the slicers out there cannot cut more than 3/4-1".  I would definitely invest is a really good, very sharp knife.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Have a bad wrist, use the other hand.  If it's really exhausting,  you may not have an appropriately sharp knife.  Sharpen knife.  
    Options
    I wonder what a pre-frozen subprimal would look like after meeting a table mounted circular saw.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    I wonder how long it took the Mangvan shill to dig up this old thread in order to hawk their website?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I am a robot kill humans 010001000110101010001100
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I wonder how long it took the Mangvan shill to dig up this old thread in order to hawk their website?
    Points for effort, none for subtlety. Took the time to register on the forum, but didn’t pick a less obvious handle. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.