Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Polynesian chicken, smoke or no smoke?

Hans61
Hans61 Posts: 3,901
I have some chicken breasts in a Polynesian marinade right now and was wondering if some smoke would enhance the taste or throw it off.

I’m not familiar with the Polynesian flavor so it’s hard to guess if adding smoke will make it better. I was thinking of using some peach chips. 

Any advice appreciated. 
“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
Coach Finstock Teen Wolf

Comments

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    IMHO I'd cook them under 275 to keep the flavor of marinade in.

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Subtle smoke would be good.  Fruit wood, grapevine etc.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I've made huli huli chicken twice, which is the only Polynesian cooking I can lay claim to (well that and Spam musubi). Traditionally, its apparently done over mesquite.

But use whatever you want. Your groceries, your cook. Don't let anyone tell you what to do. I think some smoke would be great, and personally prefer fruit woods over others (as suggested by @bgebrent above). 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.