Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rack of lamb

Options
looking to pick up a rack of lamb for dinner tomorrow and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations where to pick one up for a decent price in philly area. Costco would be obvious choice but I’ve had awful luck the last two times there with the lamb.  Thanks for any advice. 

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Costco racks are very good in Atlanta.  Must admit I'm not in Philly brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,433
    Options
    Always success with the Costco lamb here as well.  Good luck.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Here is how I have done them for many wonderful meals. sorry I will not pay photobucket  their ridiculious prices.
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&

Lamb, Rack, Ribs, Richard Fl.

INGREDIENTS :
    2 Racks of Lamb
    Marinade:
    1 cup Italian Salad Dressing
    4-6 Cloves Garlic, Minced
    1/3 cup Sweet or Red Onion, Diced
    1/3 cup Minced
    1 Tbs Black Pepper, Fresh Ground
    1 pinch Sea Salt
    1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
    1 Lemon, Juice From
    Zaatar, A spice mixture found in Arab communities (Optional)
    Fresh Mint leaves, ( Optional )
    1/4 cup Soy Sauce, ( Optional )

PROCEDURE:

1. Place all in blender and puree. Place meat in ziploc bag and marinate for 4-6 hours, overnight is OK but be careful after 12 hours as the lemon juice has a tendency to "COOK" the meat.

2. This works well for lamb kabobs, legs, rack or shoulders and shanks.

3. Soy sauce may be added for optional flavor.,

4. If doing shanks, like to cut into 1 1/2-2 inch pieces as this tends to reduce the cooking time.

5. Save the rosemary twigs for smoke!

BGE Set-Up:

1. Used my medium BGE direct to get a sear on the fat cap, around 500F. After about 5-7 minutes removed the racks which were on 1" shish kabob skewers laying on the top of the base of the BGE.

2. After the sear removed the skewers from the egg and set up for indirect with HDAF under the racks which rested on the grate with the plate setter legs up.

3. Cooked for awhile 10-15 minutes or so until the internal was 135F-140ish. After I had the plate setter going I just shut the top and bottom down 'til the meat was to our liking-medium rare.

4. Served with asparagus,Turkish rice pilaf.  Little red wine to wash down.

Recipe Type: Lamb, Main Dish, Marinade

Tips
    After several attempts of finding skewers that I like I found these a few months back.  I bought them without the wood handles 'cause the wood eventually burns off in my eggsperience.  These are 15'16" wide and 24 !/2" long.  Fit very nicely on my large, medium and small eggs.  Too short for the Xlrg.

http://www.sadaf.com/sadaf-bbq-skewer-wide-no-handles-90-7660/

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2013/08/25**
    Web Page: http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1334188&catid=1

• mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
     Always had luck at restaurant depot and of course Costco I hope there’s a depot near you 
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • theeggcellentchef
    Options
    Thanks to all for suggestions. I’m not sure what happened at Costco with my lamb because every other human being I know loves it.  Perhaps since I often cook in a rush I didn’t rinse the cryo liquid thoroughly enough.  You can’t beat the price there that’s for sure. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I've had good luck with it.  I think it's usually from Australia.  Any lamb can be terrible if you over cook it unless it's in a stew or sauced.
    Options
    I'm too cheap to buy rack of lamb but I always get lamb loin chops at Costco. Never had an issue. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Cmyachtie
    Options
    Thanks to all for suggestions. I’m not sure what happened at Costco with my lamb because every other human being I know loves it.  Perhaps since I often cook in a rush I didn’t rinse the cryo liquid thoroughly enough.  You can’t beat the price there that’s for sure. 
    Anytime I have made my rack of lamb never did rinse it .........and never complained about my lamb cooks, always turn out fantastic!!
    MMx, my not so large BGE
    Genesis E330 gasser 
    WiFi ANOVA SV
    Halifax, Canada
  • theeggcellentchef
    Options
    Sounds like I need to give Costco another chance. Giant grocery had Marcho Farms lamb and it was solid.