Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table question

Options
CarolinaQ
CarolinaQ Posts: 81
edited February 2018 in EGG Table Forum
I've read a lot about potential fire issues with any wood based tables, even those who with plates under the egg. Have seen stainless steel tables for sale for similar prices.  Is that the way to go if it is going to be covered?

Comments

• XLAggieEgger
    Options
    Just make sure you have a gap between the wood and the egg - i.e. a table nest. Our table is wood based with our Egg on a table nest that sits on concrete countertops
  • Kevinboatright
    Options
    Just make sure you have a gap between the wood and the egg - i.e. a table nest. Our table is wood based with our Egg on a table nest that sits on concrete countertops
    Agreed. A table nest makes a world of difference. My egg sits in a wood table on a table nest which sits on a piece of granite on top of a concrete paver.  No issues at all with heat on the wood  underneath the egg. 
    Atlanta, GA 

LBGE, Mini-Max, Mini, 1995 BGE Chiminea, 22" Blackstone, Weber Genesis E-310. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    I’d recommend keeping your egg in a nest and buy/build a separate prep/storage table if you’re concerned about fire. Stainless tables are nice if you’re willing to spend the cash. 
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options

an air gap makes it safe, do not sit it directly on a pavor or stone and you will be fine.  I had a wood table and when I went to build a second one, I was curious ran the math and the air gap makes it safe with only about a 2" air gap.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Look carefully how much of the stainless steel table is actually stainless.  Some marketed as stainless only have the top surface made of stainless.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    If it's going to be a permanent feature in your yard, I'd consider brick (and you won't have to worry about fire or weather).

Packerland, Wisconsin

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Look carefully how much of the stainless steel table is actually stainless.  Some marketed as stainless only have the top surface made of stainless.
    I agree, check the gauge as well. Platform on a stainless table