Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Beyond Beef

Options
slovelad
slovelad Posts: 1,742
Wife and I are on a 21 day fast (no meat, bread, sugar, etc) and I have tried many new things I otherwise wouldn’t have. Upside is that I feel light on my feet all the time.

tried this new “beyond beef” burger at TGI Friday’s it’s 100% plant based. Taste allot like ground beef. Surpinsingly good.

anyone else tried it? 

Here is is the link to their website http://beyondmeat.com/futureofprotein

also so thought it would make for a great Friday thread lol

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    My wife is trying a 21 day vegan thing. She is on day 19 and as of now thinks she might just stick with being vegan or at least mostly vegan. I will probably be cooking these for her soon- according to the web site they are pretty widely available in my area. I might even try one as well, but I will top it with bacon and cheese :smiley:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    edited February 2018
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt seriously try one. You will be surprised. I can see why she says that, my wife and I have said we are going to try making it a long term thing. Mostly due to sugars and bread. The meat I will go back to ... otherwise my egg would be a paper weight lol
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    I've not tried that one, however, my sister the vegan has given me a few of these: https://hungryplanet.us/

She loves them.

They were pretty darn good. The taste and texture was very close to a beef hamburger. I'll eat them again.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    Options
    My Nephew is a rep for Gordon food service (GFS) in Columbus, OH. Last week he cooked up two of these burgers, they actually bled and tasted like beef. He did however, use cheese and condiments, so I didn't taste it by itself. But dang, it was tasty!

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I’ve never understood the desire to eat non-meat items made to taste or look like meat. 

If you’re vegan or vegetarian, wanting to eat meat-like items seems contradictory or even hypocritical to me. In theory, at least. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    I think its very hypocritical for vegans to eat faux meat products. You want veggies so bad go eat a plant. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Hopefully she gets over the vegan cult quickly. After a while it seems to make women spacey. Meanwhile eating to many soy based products tends to increase estrogen levels.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    caliking said:
    I’ve never understood the desire to eat non-meat items made to taste or look like meat. 

If you’re vegan or vegetarian, wanting to eat meat-like items seems contradictory or even hypocritical to me. In theory, at least. 
    All the vegans I've known are converted carnivores so they certainly have some remembrance of a nice juicy beef burger and likely miss that flavor and mouth feel to some degree.

If the marketplace delivers a product that "meats" (heh-heh) their occasional longing for the taste/texture of days gone by yet the ingredients do not conflict with their reasons for becoming a vegan then why not indulge?

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• milesvdustin
    Options
    Because every single person i know that is vegan or vegetarian likes to shout it from the rooftops about how they dont murder animals for food. 

Good for you, go gnaw on a tree but dont eat meat replica products and still proclaim your deity status. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    caliking said:

All the vegans I've known are converted carnivores so they certainly have some remembrance of a nice juicy beef burger and likely miss that flavor and mouth feel to some degree.

If the marketplace delivers a product that "meats" (heh-heh) their occasional longing for the taste/texture of days gone by yet the ingredients do not conflict with their reasons for becoming a vegan then why not indulge?

It parallels being married, but still wanting to/thinking of having sex with an ex. Many would consider that improper, but not all would.

[My apologies, OP. I didn't mean to detract from your thread, so I won't say anything else here]. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    I've got a new age girl
    An environmentalist girl... 

She don't eat meat
    But she sure like the bone 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    I've got a new age girl
    An environmentalist girl... 

She don't eat meat
    But she sure like the bone 
    I saw them live on Biloxi beach just before their one famous song. Along with Cowboy Mouth and some group that died out the next day. I could mention their name. Let's see If I can type it in a way that won't be bleeped.
    Deadeye d*I&c^K
  • HeavyG
    Options
    caliking said:
    HeavyG said:
    caliking said:

It parallels being married, but still wanting to/thinking of having sex with an ex. Many would consider that improper, but not all would...

That's actually kinda funny. I'll have to ask my vegan compadres if they feel eating a veggie burger is a violation of their "vegan monogamy vows".

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Vegan chili!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Options
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    <BUMP!>  

Cook's Illustrated did a taste testing of the currently available fake beefs, with some surprising results:
    Highly Recommended:  Impossible Foods (!!)  
    Recommended:  Beyond Meat
    Rec w/Reservations:  Quorn, Dr. Praeger's
    Not Recommended:  Morningstar, LightLife, Gardein

They were able to get some development details from Impossible Foods that I found really interesting.  It started with the "Heme" protein, which is part of hemoglobin, makes blood red, turns dark with the Maillard reaction, and is present in both beef, and soybean roots.  Impossible snipped the DNA from those soybean roots, planted them in yeast DNA, and were able to produce the same protein.  Yikes.  They've patented the process so for now they're the only folks that can do this.

A second trick is the use of coconut oil, which doesn't melt until 76º F, and simulated beef fat.  Another feature that supposedly goes beef one better, is that the burgers didn't dry out when cooked to 125º, 135º, and 165º, the burgers only got darker.  

The testers could not tell the difference between Impossible patties and real hamburger, when sampled on buns w/lettuce & ketchup.  I might have to give this stuff a try, although there certainly isn't a cost incentive ($13.85/lb!).  I still think the best veggie burger in the world is a large, grilled portobello mushroom cap, but that's me.         

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• HeavyG
    Options
    I've had both the Impossible Foods and Beyond Meat stuff. Thought they were quite tasty.
    However, when I want a non-meat "burger" I still prefer the Gardein Black Bean patties which have been around for years despite the CI "not recco" status (I'm assuming CI reviewed the black bean product - haven't read the article yet).
    One of the best non-meat patties I've ever had was some I used to eat decades ago. Boca used to make (maybe still do?) a spicy chicken patty that I would get at the Safeway I used to shop in the 80's.

...Looks like Boca is still around and still does make their spicy chicken patty AND my Kroger claims to have them (Kroger website says the store has lots of stuff on the shelf but turns out to be wrong 50% of the time). Have to get some next trip and see if they are still as tasty as I remember.