Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Another Shooting. Sad.

Options

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    https://www.americas1stfreedom.org/articles/2016/7/1/10-reasons-to-own-an-ar-15/

"Owning an AR-15 is as uniquely American as baseball, apple pie and the Second Amendment. It’s a classic example of American exceptionalism, independence and ingenuity—all the things that make us the land of the free and home of the brave."

Sorry dead kids....
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options

“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Apparently there is no limit to people's tolerance for sacrificing  their own children on the altar of the NRA.

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Apparently there is no limit to people's tolerance for sacrificing  their own children on the altar of the NRA.

Intelligent and thoughtful....SMH slowly!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    Options

"slowly" is a good idea.
    There's been enough carnage today.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• dmchicago
    Options
    Why do we have to inject politics into every debate around here? 

In the interest of full disclosure, i do own guns. And a bow for deer. I just think that politics after a tragedy is wrong. We need to work together for a solution, not sling mud.  
    But the NRA never thinks it's a good time to discuss responsible gun control.

I'm a liberal. (Shocker!) But I have zero issue with responsible gun ownership. My brothers and brothers-in-law are all gun owners. 

But there is no legitimate reason for ownership of an AR-15.

And, as stated above, mental health treatment is just as important as responsible gun control, IMHO.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options

The NRA certainly has been doing a lot of scaremongering in recent years and I guess that contributes to a spreading attitude that mass shooting casualties are just "acceptable losses" because other issues are of greater importance.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    HeavyG said:

The NRA certainly has been doing a lot of scaremongering in recent years and I guess that contributes to a spreading attitude that mass shooting casualties are just "acceptable losses" because other issues are of greater importance.

'Murica!(as you would say)

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    dmchicago said:

In the interest of full disclosure, i do own guns. And a bow for deer. I just think that politics after a tragedy is wrong. We need to work together for a solution, not sling mud.  

I'm a liberal. (Shocker!) But I have zero issue with responsible gun ownership. My brothers and brothers-in-law are all gun owners. 

And, as stated above, mental health treatment is just as important as responsible gun control, IMHO.
    Chicago? Shocker!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• dmchicago
    Options
    bucky925 said:
    dmchicago said:

Chicago? Shocker!
    I live in Austin, TX. Keep up.

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • bucky925
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I'm slow just read the sigline.  Not a apology just saying.

• dmchicago
    Options
    bucky925 said:
    I'm slow just read the sigline.  Not a apology just saying.
    No worries. 

for the record, Chicago is an f'd up city and no doubt it's history of political leadership has a lot to do with it. That's one of the reasons we came back to Texas. I didn't live in Chicago because it was a liberal city...it was all about career and financial advancement. Worked out very well.

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • bucky925
    Options
    Long story short.  Did a few weeks in Chicago with the railroad trying to get a shop up and running.  Now keep in mind we were not in the best part of town to say the least.  The FRA actually gave a waiver not to stop trains at certain places because the containers would be striped in minutes.  That being said there may be really nice parts of the city, but I NEVER want to step foot there again!

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    HeavyG said:
    Saying **** like ‘Murica after a tragedy like this is ridiculous. 1st amendment free speech and all I get it but for fucks sake some **** just shot a bunch of kids. 
    No...what's ridiculous is that only in 'Murica are mass shooting and school shooting events a commonplace.
    These shootings are no longer a shock to anyone, and we all just acquiesce.
    There is no acquiescence.  The also is not stupid gun control can fix this idiocy.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • dmchicago
    Options
    bgebrent said:
     The also is not stupid gun control can fix this idiocy.
    HUH?

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • bucky925
    edited February 2018
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Hans61 said:
    HeavyG said:
    Saying **** like ‘Murica after a tragedy like this is ridiculous. 1st amendment free speech and all I get it but for fucks sake some **** just shot a bunch of kids. 
    No...what's ridiculous is that only in 'Murica are mass shooting and school shooting events a commonplace.
    There is no acquiescence.  The also is not stupid gun control can fix this idiocy.
    Mrs. Bucky and I were just talking about the fights at our school back in the '70's.   A lot of pushing and shoving, maybe just maybe two punches thrown and a bloody nose.  We, well most had guns in our pickup trucks (rednecks) and everyone had knives.  There was never a thought about introducing either in the fight!  MORALS  have left us.  Not any religion per say but just plain old morals. 

• bgebrent
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    bgebrent said:
    HUH?
    You have a gun control over arching plan that can prevent this?  All ears brother.
  • dmchicago
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    dmchicago said:
    bgebrent said:
    HUH?
    You have a gun control over arching plan that can prevent this?  All ears brother.
    No. I just don't understand the sentence. Brother.

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Sardonicus
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    dmchicago said:
    bgebrent said:
    HUH?
    PMFJI, but we all know that there is no such thing.  That doesn't mean we should discard small steps.
    Ya gotta eat the elephant one bite at a time.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Sardonicus
    edited February 2018
    Options

I'm just grateful that the Vegas Disaster opened our eyes to the Bump Stock Loophole so that now, we've fixed that once and for all!

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options

I'm just grateful that the Vegas disaster opened our eyes to the bump stock loophole so that now, we've fixed that once and for all!

Yeah, that outrage lasted for at least a week or so...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options

I'm just grateful that the Vegas Disaster opened our eyes to the Bump Stock Loophole so that now, we've fixed that once and for all!

Yes a bump stock would have stopped the killing. If they would have been illegal it would have taken him 5 minutes to kill everyone instead of 4 minutes. 
  • g8golfer
    Options
    I agree 100% AR15 should be illegal and all assault type guns but this kid had a plan. He could have easily killed with a pistol or a shotgun. I do see both sides of the argument. 
  • dmchicago
    Options
    g8golfer said:

Yes a bump stock would have stopped the killing. If they would have been illegal it would have taken him 5 minutes to kill everyone instead of 4 minutes. 
    So go ask the families of the people that died between minute 4 and minute 5 how they feel about bump stocks.

And, serious question, are you an NRA member?

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • g8golfer
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    g8golfer said:

So go ask the families of the people that died between minute 4 and minute 5 how they feel about bump stocks.

Nope. NRA has 0 to do with my overview of this. Like I just said before if you read above assault type guns should be banned. NRA wouldn’t approve of me saying that. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    It's a mental health issue at the end of the day.  So sad.  Totally disagree that Ar-15's should be illegal.  And if you differ it's too late.  Looks like metal detectors will become part and parcel to going to school.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Hans61 said:
    HeavyG said:
    Definition of acquiescence, accept something reluctantly but without protest.

I guess I was only 2/3 correct, we do have protest 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • dmchicago
    edited February 2018
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    dmchicago said:
    g8golfer said:

Nope. NRA has 0 to do with my overview of this. Like I just said before if you read above assault type guns should be banned. NRA wouldn’t approve of me saying that. 
    Thanks. I appreciate your candor and independent thinking. I hadn't seen that post.

Dennis - Austin,TX