Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Joy of Cooking

Options
I am been at this Egg thing for 2 1/2 years (still learning tons). I love tools (toys) of the trade and have a few that I can't live without.  My favorite HANDS DOWN is my Thermapen MK4, what a game changer. (I admit I might have posted something like this in the past - Sorry). The MK4 was one of my early purchases (thanks to you all) and it has single handedly changed my cooking. I no longer (well not always) over cook my chicken and steak. Before I got the MK4 I had no idea the importance of 135 and 165 (Steak/Chicken).  Last night I cooked Chicken Leg quarters with Dizzy Dust, my family says this is the best tasting meal I have ever cooked.  I pretend like I had something to do with it, but I know without the Egg, Dizzy Dust and the MK4 I would have had - overcooked blain chicken that we ate but never enjoyed.  If you don't have one you have to get one.  Since I first got one I have given 4 as presents, I hope they know that an amazing tool they have...
Northern New Jersey
 XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

Comments

• Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Options
    I thought this thread was going to be about that old cookbook. Hard to beat a good thermapen. Nice job on the chicken.
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Gman2 said:
    I thought this thread was going to be about that old cookbook. Hard to beat a good thermapen. Nice job on the chicken.
    “The Joy of Thermapen” would have been more apt. 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Completely agree -- I never would have guessed how hugely important it has become to me in cooking, whether on the BGE or in the kitchen.  And I've given some away as presents, too.  I take it with me traveling in case I do some cooking!  Love that thing.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I bought one after seeing Alton Brown use one on his first Good Eats show. I would say it’s my most important tool and that includes my eggs. 
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    Agreed. People look at me crazy when I say I spent a hundo on a thermometer. Worth every penny and at one point I had an MK3 and 4.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Theophan said:
    Completely agree -- I never would have guessed how hugely important it has become to me in cooking, whether on the BGE or in the kitchen.  And I've given some away as presents, too.  I take it with me traveling in case I do some cooking!  Love that thing.
    I travel with a thermometer as well. I take my Thermopop, which is smaller and much less expensive (which is a plus if it was to get lost or left behind somewhere).
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Gave my younger son a Thermopen for Christmas a few years ago when he was working as a cook. The other kids hot Thermopops. They all were delighted. My wife, who is not much of a cook, found ours to be indispensable.

Something else you might like to get into. Buy a small mortar and pestle, and some whole spices. The flavor & aroma from fresh crushed is often amazing.