Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Way OT the "BBQ Brethren"

Options
I realize this is a different forum but they seem to be into the  (mostly) same things.  I signed up for them on Wednesday yet as of today I still can't post.  Does anyone have a reality stick I can use on the owner/moderator there to get them to realize their insular methods are driving away more traffic than they bring in? 

Near San Francisco in California

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I was on there for a short while years ago, until I realized there was a vocal group there back then against us "flower pot users". I imagine that may have gone away and all types are welcome, but I'd rather stay here and on greeneggers.com.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    How long did it take you to get authorized to post here?  There have been some recent stories of major delays measured in several days to a few weeks right here.  
    With big data I'm sure the vetting process is quite protracted now ;).
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    baychilla said:
    I realize this is a different forum but they seem to be into the  (mostly) same things.  I signed up for them on Wednesday yet as of today I still can't post.  Does anyone have a reality stick I can use on the owner/moderator there to get them to realize their insular methods are driving away more traffic than they bring in? 

That unacceptable.  Once you get approved, I would post loudly about it, message the mods directly and share your concerns.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    RRP said:
    I was on there for a short while years ago, until I realized there was a vocal group there back then against us "flower pot users". I imagine that may have gone away and all types are welcome, but I'd rather stay here and on greeneggers.com.
    I lurked on there a while too and didn't see any reason to stay.  This confirms a good decision.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,345
    Options
    I don't recall how long it took to get approved there a few years ago. It wasn't instant but neither was getting approved here.

You could try sending a message to the forum admin as that might spark some action - https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sendmessage.php

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,037
    Options
    Its a good forum, lots of info.  Much more moderated than the free for all here.

It took a few days for me to get on the Brethren, but it took 2 weeks and a call to Bruce to get on here.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • tenpenny_05
    Options
    Took longer to get approved to post here. Lots of info on the brethren, a lot more 'new guy' type posts to wade through. Also they are a bit less elitist than other sites...
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Its a good forum, lots of info.  Much more moderated than the free for all here.

It took a few days for me to get on the Brethren, but it took 2 weeks and a call to Bruce to get on here.
    Way to go and out Bruce as the reason you are here! Loose lips......
  • bgebrent
    Options

"Much more moderated than the free for all here."  Double confirmation.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    The mods there are very active really surprised it is taking awhile. I think I was able to post the same day I signed up. That forum isn’t as fun as this one but a lot of experience over there. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    edited February 2018
    Options
    If it's BGE related you've found the best forum. It's here. I joined over there maybe 6-8 months ago when picking up my offset smoker. Lot's of good people and info over there. One of Hotches friend over on the forum was texting me with dimensions and pictures helping me out with a potential project on my smoker. His friend probably took a half hour of his own personal time to help me out. Way up and beyond anything I could have felt comfortable asking for. Definitely worth checking out. They have everything from gassers to 1,000+ gallon smokers. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I've been a member over there for a number of years. I checked and the last time I logged in was June of 2017. Being a non paying member limits the usefulness of the site. Free loaders like me can't do any searches.
    When I looked tonight there were over 1500 members logged in and 1200 non members. It must be a pretty active forum.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    It's a very active BBQ forum and I've lurked there for a few years now. Used to post there in my preBGE era.  It seemed like more of a "straight BBQ" forum, unlike here where all kinds of  cooking ( and basically anything) is game.

I also enjoy the (relatively) unmoderated format here. Makes for some good times. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Seriously?  There's a vetting process?  I've been on this forum about 5 years - don't recall any wait time when I joined.  Would love to know what criteria they apply to vetting new forum members.  Anus eaters, hipster beer drinkers, and republicans...damn, they let anybody in.  What's that line...I don't want to belong to any club that will have me as a member.   ;)
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,345
    Options
    The moderators can be rather active in a few of the forum sections which does go towards helping many threads from just going way off tangent. Some people like that, some find that annoying.

They do have a forum sub-section where things are looser and folks can talk about most anything as long as some rules are observed (no nude pics for instance).

They also have a special "roped off section" for news/political ranting/political humor that you have to specifically request permission to see/participate. No threads are "buffaloed" (or none that I have seen vaporized anyway). I have seen one instance of the main forum honcho having to jump in to tell some folks to simmer down.

Overall it's a good forum. No better or worse than this one. I agree with @caliking that the focus does seem more oriented towards bbqing but you will still find threads about sous vide, Instant Pot, Roccbox, etc.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Been a minute since I "logged" on there. Lurk without logging on just as you can here.  Lots of solid info with folks with lots of experience over there.  It's a much regimen & ridged in comparison to the hijinx that goes on here at times. But as I remember when I submitted my info I was accepted and able to post the same day. Here it took almost 2 1/2 weeks to be able to post.  I'm also a member on http://www.thefreshloaf.com and was able to post the same day. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Thanks Blake.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Took me about 10 days to get approved......they obviously didn't know who they were dealing with here!!!!  hahaha  :dizzy:
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Took me about 10 days to get approved.
    That's because you are one suspicious character.
  • RRP
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Took me about 10 days to get approved.
    That's because you are one suspicious character.
    AND from St. Louis!  

Just kidding! Pat and I are from Centralia, MO. Since we sunk our roots here in IL 51 years ago after college it would be financially stupid to pull up our tent stakes and move back there.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @stlcharcoal - your big data profile would indicate that you were approved back before the great split when corporate moved here and greeneggers.com was created.  Musta been well before Snowden outed us all  =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @stlcharcoal - your big data profile would indicate that you were approved back before the great split when corporate moved here and greeneggers.com was created.  Musta been well before Snowden outed us all  =)
    Huh? The BGE forum itself was created YEARS before this corporate forum came into existance!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I’ve been a member of the Brethren since 2010. It took me a few days to get set up and able to post.  I vaguely recall some comments about the wait there having to do with some kind of check to make sure they’re not granting access to a bunch of spammers.  In my opinion it’s worth the wait.

There are some very knowledgeable folks there that are very willing to share their knowledge. If you’re interested in other pits you’ll have no problem finding folks there who cook on them or know someone who does. Some areas have groups of Brethren that get together periodically for “Bashes” not unlike the some of the gatherings here and they’re a blast.

There’s a few of us Eggheads that are pretty active there.  I’ve never experienced any serious “anti kamado” exchanges there.  
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Yeah, I was......I joined the old board in the late 90s or early 2000s.  Can't remember when it started, but I was under a different name then.  Switched over to this one around 07.

I was talking about on bbq bretheren.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @RRP - Double HUH as I don't know where the confusion lies in your assessment of my statement.  FWIW-
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I am not sure there is kamado or egg bashing there.  I frequent there a lot, have been for almost ten years.  There are so many people with kamados, it feels like being on this forum.  I like the perspective the forum brings, lots of cookers, lots of methods.  Probably one of, if not the busiest bbq forum online.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    R2Egg2Q said:
    I’ve been a member of the Brethren since 2010. It took me a few days to get set up and able to post.  I vaguely recall some comments about the wait there having to do with some kind of check to make sure they’re not granting access to a bunch of spammers.  In my opinion it’s worth the wait.

There are some very knowledgeable folks there that are very willing to share their knowledge. If you’re interested in other pits you’ll have no problem finding folks there who cook on them or know someone who does. Some areas have groups of Brethren that get together periodically for “Bashes” not unlike the some of the gatherings here and they’re a blast.

There’s a few of us Eggheads that are pretty active there.  I’ve never experienced any serious “anti kamado” exchanges there.  
    +1. I should have clarified that the Brethren are unmatched in their experience and expertise with a variety of smokers and cookers, whether fuelled by charcoal, briquets, wood, pellets, etc. And I don't recall ever noting any bias against folks who cooked on a particular cooker. Overall, they're great peeps.

And have way fewer trolls than we have here :smiley:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    edited February 2018
    Options
    RRP said:
    lousubcap said:
    Huh? The BGE forum itself was created by Mr MillerYEARS before this corporate forum came into existence. Whether we liked it or not, all our records were transferred  to this corporate forum...I mean
    history of posts,  passwords, profile, links to our recipes - the  works.

• JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    I'm also a member there. Lots of decent info about many different smoker types and overall BBQing.
    The only real bashing I see there is the Shirley Fab lovers bashing Lang smokers.
    Both are good smokers but the SF guys are way over the top IMO.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    lousubcap said:
    Huh? The BGE forum itself was created by Mr MillerYEARS before this corporate forum came into existence. Whether we liked it or not, all our records were transferred  to this corporate forum...I mean history of posts,  passwords, profile, links to our recipes - the  works.

Not ALL of our records. Everything except our Join Date. The date is blank for those of us who were on the old forum. Anyone who signed on here (after there was a here) has a Join date listed.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut