Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back Ribs Advice Please!

Hello All!

I have my in laws in town for the weekend and I am trying to make some great baby back ribs. I have some awesome Code3Spices along with their patriot sauce for finishing. I am really looking for some tips on how to cook them. I have seen the 3-2-1 and a modified 2-2-1 technique. 

I would love some tips on temperature and methods so that I can blow this out of the water. 

I talk a big game on the grill and ribs are something that I don't do very often. Thanks y'all!

All the best,
Drake Orman
Go Cocks!
Located - Charlotte, NC - Large Green Egg - University of South Carolina Alumni

Comments

• Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Good ribs are difficult to master at first. For baby backs I do a version of the 2-2-1 thing but you can’t be stuck on those times. I follow the method, but base it more on how they look rather than just time. You need to be careful with this method sonyiu don’t overcook and end up with mush. Good ribs have some tug and not “fall off the bone”. I generally smoke for 2 hours then wrap with butter/honey/brown sugar. Put back in and cook for an hour or so and check to see how tender they are. Generally when I unwrap and sauce for the last step, it’s not for an hour. You can also just smoke straight up for 4-5 hours with no wrap and have some mighty fine ribs, too. It’s all in what you want. 
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Honestly, I just throw them on indirect with my favorite rub of the day at 250 or so.  I may pour on a little honey right at the end.  No foil, no wrap.  I/we like them. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I would recommend a straight 3.5-4 hr cook at 250-275. Keep it as simple as possible.  Rub and set aside for an hour or two, then place on egg bones down. Hickory is my advice 4-5 chunks. Once they pass the toothpick test then either remove and sauce or sauce and leave them on for maybe five minutes tops. Then rest for 5-10. Cut and serve. Easiest to cut from the back or standing on edge. BB bones usually run on an angle sharper than spares. Hard to cut from the top. Whatever you choose, good luck!
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Do you have butcher paper? I’ve been using it instead of foil and like the results

watch some YouTube videos I’m a bend test guy

i like honey brown sugar butter in the wrap

i don’t add sauce during the cook I like to give 2-3 options on the table

let the ribs rest a half hour after taking them off

i like fruit woods best with ribs
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
     275 is the sweet spot for temp
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    I like 2.5-1-1.  Wrapping in foil will get you more fall off the bone, which my better half prefers.  The bend test (90 degrees or so) for the finish.  Reseason and add a couple ounces of liquid (e.g. Coke) when wrapped.  Good luck.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    You can mess around with the bend test and hope you time the aforementioned lift and look but instead of doubt,  just go with the tooth-pick test for the win.  No need to expend much effort.
    Insert the tooth-pick into the thick between bone rib meat-no resistance and you are there.  Works on half ribs and any other number where the bend test relies on the whole deal.  
    And it is protein independent.  FWIW-  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    bgebrent said:
    I like 2.5-1-1.  Wrapping in foil will get you more fall off the bone, which my better half prefers.  The bend test (90 degrees or so) for the finish.  Reseason and add a couple ounces of liquid (e.g. Coke) when wrapped.  Good luck.
    Going to try some ribs tomorrow might have to try this because my wife like fall off the bone. 
  • bgebrent
    lousubcap said:
    You can mess around with the bend test and hope you time the aforementioned lift and look but instead of doubt,  just go with the tooth-pick test for the win.  No need to expend much effort.
    Insert the tooth-pick into the thick between bone rib meat-no resistance and you are there.  Works on half ribs and any other number where the bend test relies on the whole deal.  
    And it is protein independent.  FWIW-  
    I can't afford so many toothpicks Cap. B).  Bend test is useful.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    @bgebrent - just PM me your address and I'll take care of your tooth-pick inventory.  BTW- you can use 'em more than once so that may help you in the short-term.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    lousubcap said:
    @bgebrent - just PM me your address and I'll take care of your tooth-pick inventory.  BTW- you can use 'em more than once so that may help you in the short-term.  
    Strict hygiene here @lousubcap.  No TP reuse ;)
  • drumdudeguy
    drumdudeguy Posts: 165
    edited February 2018
    Anybody ever use Cavender's Greek Seasoning on ribs? It's really good! I get tired of using the usual BBQ seasonings and hate to use sauce.
    Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    For years, the gold standard has been the late Car Wash Mike's method. Surprised no one has mentioned it.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/06/baby-back-rib-class.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bgebrent
    For years, the gold standard has been the late Car Wash Mike's method. Surprised no one has mentioned it.

Agreed!
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Turbo ribs. Indirect at 350 to 375 for 2.5 hours. Done. No turning no foil no fuss. 

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• :)bgebrent said:

To bgebrent. Thanks for the advice! I have owned my LBGE for 6 years and I've never been satisfied with my ribs. Today I nailed it! At 275 degrees, I did 2.5-1-1 with Dizzy Pig. During the foil step I added honey, brown sugar, and butter. No sauce! These things are awesome! Best I have had! Finally!
    Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • Hans61
    Anybody ever use Cavender's Greek Seasoning on ribs? It's really good! I get tired of using the usual BBQ seasonings and hate to use sauce.
    I use it on chicken and fish, never tried before on ribs. What sides do you like when you go Greek?
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • I did indirect at 350* for maybe four hours. Just mopped with bone sucking sauce as I went and whenever I stepped outside for another Jell-O shot. 

I usually stink at ribs but these cane out great!

Next time I’ll Pam spray the V rack...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Skrullb

Do you slice ribs apart before cooking? If so does it affect time? I've got some sliced ribs to cook.

Thanks

Bob
    Cooking on the coast
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited February 2018
    I am not a foil man at all. As stated above, that is the key to fall off the bone. Myself, I like a little crunch and prefer to gnaw on the none a bit. You can still get tender ribs without the foil. You should try both approaches over time, and form your own preference. At the end of the day, you will find good and gooder! ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I did indirect at 350* for maybe four hours. Just mopped with bone sucking sauce as I went and whenever I stepped outside for another Jell-O shot. 

Brother....those look Gawjus to me.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • I did indirect at 350* for maybe four hours. Just mopped with bone sucking sauce as I went and whenever I stepped outside for another Jell-O shot. 

Brother....those look Gawjus to me.
    Thanks! Slight pull off the bone and great flavor. 

I did a dry rub and removed the membrane, too. Just didn’t mention it. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Baby Back Turbo Ribs (No flip)
    350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. 
    Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub, mustard, rub. 
    Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. 
    Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood. 
    If you want sauce: opened 15 min early and sauce. I like the sauce on the table.
     I don't cook over the 100 minutes. 
    Be sure your temp gauge is correct.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Mickey said:
    Baby Back Turbo Ribs (No flip)
    350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. 
    Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub, mustard, rub. 
    Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. 
    Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood. 
    If you want sauce: opened 15 min early and sauce. I like the sauce on the table.
     I don't cook over the 100 minutes. 
    Be sure your temp gauge is correct.

I just can't get enough drinking in a 100 minutes. Those look perfect though. BBBR for the win!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited February 2018

I do carwashmikes method, all the above work it depends how you like your ribs, fall off the bone or a little tug. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I will tell you what NOT to do. =) I bought a small bone in pork loin roast a while back. De-boned it and cut it into chops. That left me with a 4 bone "slab" of baby backs. Decided to give it a shot in my new Instant Pot (Mistake #1).

Seasoned it with Meathead's Memphis Dust (mistake #2), added water to the IP, added trivet, ribs on trivet. Amazingly, it took just 15 minutes on the "Meat" setting! Added some more seasoning, then some BBQ sauce and under the broiler for about 5 minutes. Ribs in 20 minutes!

Texture was actually pretty good, flavor, not so much. Next time, I think I'll listen to @Mickey! And find a new rub.  

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut