Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Instant Pot Duo60 - take me to the land of the un-posted

Options

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,173
    Options
    I do not have a technical/detail gene.  I just toss stuff in, hit hi pressure for 1hr and hope for the best.  If youtubbers can do it, can't be that hard.
    I’m surprised you don’t have a spreadsheet for pressure cookers.   
    That is @Jeepster47 , I got my moms artsy side.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I just tried the Chili Verde (http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/03/easy-pressure-cooker-pork-chile-verde-recipe.html).  In a 6qt cooker I was well above the 2/3 max fill line.  Oops.

I have to admit I was skeptical about getting anything useable, first from the lack of added liquid and second; when releasing the pressure I got a whiff of something malodorous, possibly burnt (Im still not sure what caused that).

The pork came out very tender (almost to a fault, picking out bits of greenery that were going to get blended was a bit of a chore without shredding the pork).  The flavors while good felt a little flat and I'm not sure how to brighten them up (lime juice as was suggested perhaps).  I didn't do a before/after with the fish sauce but as has been my prior experience with similar dishes there was no fishy flavor imparted.

As its a stew and IMO they're always better on days after they're cooked I'm looking forward to trying it again after the flavors have really had a chance to mingle.

It was nice to use the Instant Pot rather than my stovetop PC.  I have an electric range so using the stovetop model induced scorching and a game of swap the burner.  Being able to toss in all the ingredients, mix them up, turn it on and walk away was a nice change from having to babysit the thing.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,367
    Options
    I have the mini and the 6 qt. I have found the mini great for two of us. I have started making yogurt in it, very pleased with the results.  Soups, proteins, etc, is fine for two
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Made curry chicken soup tonight.  Damn good!!

I’m really starting to like this thing.  So many things I’ve been cooking on the egg in a pot(this dish included) that never picked up smoke are now going to atleast be tried in the pot.   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options

Butter chicken, Saag paneer, rice all instant pot.  We love the thing.  4 instant different cooks all in the same meal from the instant pot, under 1.5 hrs total cooking time. 

• vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    @U_tarded

Tell us your ways of one-go goodness, wise one!  How did you get 3 things cooked at on time?

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Amy&Jacky, imho, are the Naked Whiz Of IP cooking. Not only do they have all kinds of recipes, but they do all kinds of  variations and show the results from all of them so you can see what the different outcome is. Check out their breakdown of bone broth. I use a similar recipe, but follow their instructions with great results.  Now when I make rice in the IP, I use the stored bone broth instead of water, also with great results. I’m getting ready to start a Greek yogurt next. Made one protein, a whole chicken, I’ll stick to the BGE for proteins from now on. For the bone broth alone, this thing was well worth the investment.

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-bone-broth/
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    vb4677 said:
    @U_tarded

Tell us your ways of one-go goodness, wise one!  How did you get 3 things cooked at on time?

Not one time but all 3 were about 30 min cooks. Which is way faster than other methods.  But you can stack pans in the instant pot to do miltiples at once, I have not gone down that route. 
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Made curry chicken soup tonight.  Damn good!!

I’m really starting to like this thing.  So many things I’ve been cooking on the egg in a pot(this dish included) that never picked up smoke are now going to atleast be tried in the pot.   
    Is your Pot round, or do you have a special diamond-shaped one?
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    @jeffwit - plates are diamond, bowls are square and the pot ......

analyze adapt overcome

• vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    vb4677 said:
    @U_tarded

Not one time but all 3 were about 30 min cooks. Which is way faster than other methods.  But you can stack pans in the instant pot to do miltiples at once, I have not gone down that route. 
    Ahhh...ok...that's what I was trying to figure out... 
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Maybe I'm just cynical. It seems like every year somebody has to come out with a different gadget. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    Options
    Maybe I'm just cynical. It seems like every year somebody has to come out with a different gadget. 
    I get what you're saying but this IP is pretty legit.  It has actually been around for several years but just picking up steam in the past year or so.  

While we all love our BGEs, the IP definitely has a place for the quick weeknight meals or even to compliment the Egg.  Our favorite thing to do is mashed potatoes or even twice "baked" potatoes in the IP.  I can bake the potatoes in half the time in the IP and not heat up my kitchen.  I do end up putting them in the oven for the twice baked part but the initial baking is sooo much faster with the IP.  
    Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Chicklet I cook as much on the egg as possible .However, I cook on other vessels inside or outside doesn't matter. I'm sure it has its place just as a crock pot has its place.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    One of my faves: Dump a box of pasta, ground beef, marinara and some water and voila-spaghetti with a meat sauce in about 15 minutes! Many other great recipes out there for chicken, etc. Love mine.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options

Made this his last weekend and it’s been lunch all week.  Reheats in the office microwave great. Between this a a bunch of hard cooked eggs, the pressure cooker made my breakfast and lunch for the week in just over an hour.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I finally succumbed to the IP temptation! I've had my 6 qt IP Duo Plus just a couple of days. I also have an 8 qt Presto stovetop and, while I've never scorched anything and love the results, it is kind of a pain to have to stand there waiting for pressure to come up, especially with things with a lot of liquid to heat. I know if I leave the room, I'll start doing something else, and risk forgetting about the PC. Then I'll come back to a huge cloud of steam. Or worse - NO steam, scorched food and an overheated cooker (hasn't happened to me, but I assume that's what would happen if it boiled dry). And besides, I have four charcoal grills, so why not two pressure cookers?! =)

My first IP cook, yesterday, was a pound of pinto beans. The set and forget is awesome! Perfect batch of beans (1 lb, unsoaked), 35 min cook time. Totally hands off. I like that in a bean. =)

As long as I had beans, I decided on beans and rice for lunch today. And a slice of toasted homemade crusty bread. Had a bag of mixed rice (wild, white, brown, etc and I wanted to try the IP, but wasn't sure how long or what pressure. From the IP chart, it looked like 20 min or so, no pressure specified. I used the rice:water ratio specified on the bag and was setting up the IP for 20 min/High when I noticed the "Rice" button. haha. Pressed it and it said 12 minutes, lo pressure. Didn't match up with their chart in the book, but I figured if it wasn't done, I could always run it thru again. It was PERFECT! Soft tender rice, no crunchy bits at all, no water left in the pot, no rice stuck to the bottom, or to itself. Just perfect - and in no time! Rice, pintos and Texas Pete. Lazy man's beans and rice.

Love the fact that you just have to throw stuff in there and press just one button (was that way for both the beans and the rice anyway) and walk away. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Acn said:

Made this his last weekend and it’s been lunch all week.  Reheats in the office microwave great. Between this a a bunch of hard cooked eggs, the pressure cooker made my breakfast and lunch for the week in just over an hour.
    Damn, that sounds amazing. My bride is making that tomorrow while I sleep in preparation for night shift. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CharleyR
    CharleyR Posts: 103
    Options
    I agree with all the positive comments so far. I've had mine for 3 mos now and use it 3 times a week.  It's helped satisfy me during this winter period that I've been unable to get out and use my BGE.  

For some great, easy to follow recipes my favorite site is this;
    http://pressureluckcooking.com/

The food is right up my alley and this guy Jeff provides detailed steps along with videos.  The videos are at the web site, as well as on YouTube.   Enjoy!
    Large BGE 2013; Mini Max 2015; Adj Rig; DigiQ
    Ample supply of bourbon and cigars!
    Naperville, IL
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Broke the lame tack welds on the handles of this SS strainer that fits perfectly, stuffed 2 dozen eggs in the 6 qt.  Ideal for work lunches on the run.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Mattman3969
    Options
    Jambalaya via the IP.  Pretty good 

analyze adapt overcome

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    If a feller wanted to buy one of these contraptions, which one would you choose? There are several on Amazon. Or is it like a Foodsaver - there are 20 models but it doesn't really matter - just pick one?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    If a feller wanted to buy one of these contraptions, which one would you choose? There are several on Amazon. Or is it like a Foodsaver - there are 20 models but it doesn't really matter - just pick one?
    I don't really know. I just bought mine last week and decided on the 6 qt Duo Plus 60. Works great so far.

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Plus-60-Programmable/dp/B01NBKTPTS

The plain Duo (not Plus) was $30 less. Probably just fine. Certain;y has plenty of good reviews. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• rockymountaineggster
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I don't have a ton of experience but all the pre programs aren't really needed. The majority of the time I just use manual mode.  If you want to do things like yogurt it may be useful but for day to day I haven't seen the benefit. The programs other than manual that I have used are available on all of them like rice, beans, stew, and porridge.  Going with one with fewer modes or programs could save you some money.
    Parker, Colorado
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Matt, sorry if this was asked earlier in the thread, but what website or cookbook are you using?
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Navymom
    Navymom Posts: 167
    edited February 2018
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    If you can go with the 3 qt or 6 qt Duo 7 in 1 they are on sale at Kohls, not a great price but if you have a Kohls card you can use LOVE30 for 30% off thru the 19th. Plus you get the Kohls cash.
    Wear maroon, live maroon, bleed maroon.
    Fightin' Texas Aggies Fly Navy.
    Denton TX
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    We got the 8qt one. Works awesome. 

Made red beans and rice for dinner tonight 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)