Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When do you add the wood for smoke

Options
my current process is to get the charcoal in a small mound and put the smoking wood around the perimeter of the coals. Then I light my starter blocks and when the fire is hot enough in the center I smooth out the mound and let the temps stabilize for about 30 minutes before adding place setter and meat. My question in Regards to this method is whether or not a lot of the wood will have already burned up before I ever put the meat on the grill.

can you guys tell me how you do it?

thanks

Comments

• evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    I wait till I am ready to shut the dome-fire has reached a good spot depending on what temp I am aiming for. Then I add the wood, add plate setter and grid and let the temperature stabilize. That usually takes about 30 minutes. I have never burned through my wood by the time I put the meat on the grill. If you are concerned about that I would layer wood chunks in with the charcoal-I have done that on very long cooks-like a brisket.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,113
    Options

Don't understand why you would wait to add the furniture. You get to temp and then you put a cold chunk of ceramic in there? Let it all (except the meat) come to temp together.

I bring it all up together so I add any wood flavoring at the start as it will all be hot and covered up later.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Short cook or long cook? Mix at all levels for long or wait until it's going good for short cooks and throw on top level
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I mix chips into the lump about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way to the edge. I’ll also usually add one chunk just off to the side of the fire before adding plate setter. I like to mix 2 different types of wood usually 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    When I get the temp stabilized I'll lift the plate setter and throw a few fist size chunks of wood in the lump. One right in the burning coals and a couple off to the side a bit to burn later in the cook.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    +1 nestle in the lump.
    Mountain View, CA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    Short cook or long cook? Mix at all levels for long or wait until it's going good for short cooks and throw on top level
    This is what matters.  Long cook spread it out.  Short cook, put it around the top of the fire.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga