Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

note to self

tjv
tjv Posts: 3,830
it's been a while since I had to do a 'note to self'........

bought a couple new fillet knives, one for home, one for shop. Used one at home two times, cut my thumb two times. First cut, opening the package. Second cut, washing it after second use.  When opening the package, I thought, careful it will be sharp. When I hand washed it, I thought, don't put it in the dishwasher, it's all new and sharp.......note to self......yo knucklehead, fricking new knives are sharp...........lol

maybe a sign from above telling me to cook more..................

t
www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    tjv said:

maybe a sign from above telling me to cook more..................
    Or not to play with knives......

:lol: hahahahahaha
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Cook more...Cut less.
    Have my fair share of cuts as well. Birds Beak paring knife gave me 6-7 stitches at my office. Literally, they stitched me up in the office and put me back to work.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    what's more dangerous...a new sharp knife or an old dull knife?
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    edited February 2018
    @TN_Egger IMO no contest- the old dull knife is more dangerous due to the level of physical effort required to complete a cut. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268

Mountain View, CA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    when i received my leech lake fillet years ago, it came with a band-aide ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    I hear you, Tom. That's the reason I keep one of these in my kitchen!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Yep. Don’t cut toward yourself. Bone will stop a pairing knife. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    I sharpened my Shun today and knicked myself twice with it without knowing it happened until I saw blood. 
  • stlcharcoal
    Cashfan said:
    I sharpened my Shun today and knicked myself twice with it without knowing it happened until I saw blood. 
    How do you like the shun?  Heard nothing but great things, and I have been really impressed with the ones I've demo'd.  Thinking about becoming a dealer for them
  • Cashfan
    I like them a lot, and have a 6 1/2" Nakiri, 8" Chef, and 6" Boning knife, all Classic Series. The Nakiri gets used almost everyday. It gets honed regularly and today was the first time I took it to the stones, a little over a year after it was purchased. It was still sharp, but is wasn't SHARP. I'm kind of obsessed with having to have my knives SHARP... I really just cleaned the edge up a little bit and wow, it is SHARP!!!

I also have an 8" Wustoff Chefs knife I use for heavy cutting, but the Shun's are much more comfortable for me to handle.
  • stlcharcoal
    Good to hear.  Their rep was telling me how they'll sharpen them for free, you just pay for the shipping to/from.  I wanted to get the Kiritsuta (sp??) for myself  
  • Cashfan
    Good to hear.  Their rep was telling me how they'll sharpen them for free, you just pay for the shipping to/from.  I wanted to get the Kiritsuta (sp??) for myself  
    Their website says they will sharpen for free. If the edge would have been gone I might have sent it in, but it only needed 6-8 strokes per side with 1000 and 5000 grit stones on the edge pro. It was just bad enough the the honing rod could not clean it up.

The Kiritsuta looks like a really nice knife; might have to pick one up later on.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    glad to see I am not so much alone on knife meets finger.......

I just gotta be sharper than the knife when handling........lol
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Cutting edge stuff for a sharp guy like yourself! Happy you still have all your digits though.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    lousubcap said:
    @TN_Egger IMO no contest- the old dull knife is more dangerous due to the level of physical effort required to complete a cut. 
    It was a rhetorical question.  Like I need a valid reason to upgrade my crappy knives.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Time for a knife safety reminder:

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Had a 4am trip to the ER last week because my wife thought it would be a good idea to pry protective plastic, off of a small plastic bottle. Buried about an inch into her hand.

Brand new never used J.A. Henckels steak knife. She got zero sympathy for using my new knives like that.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Nobody with a knife buried an inch into their head deserves any sympathy :)
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Had a 4am trip to the ER last week because my wife thought it would be a good idea to pry protective plastic, off of a small plastic bottle. Buried about an inch into her hand.

Brand new never used J.A. Henckels steak knife. She got zero sympathy for using my new knives like that.
    Ouch....you are having a rough New Year  =)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Nobody with a knife buried an inch into their head deserves any sympathy :)
    I was kidding of course. 
    Highland, MI

• Had a 4am trip to the ER last week because my wife thought it would be a good idea to pry protective plastic, off of a small plastic bottle. Buried about an inch into her hand.

Ouch....you are having a rough New Year  =)
    I am also a Lions fan, so it goes beyond the New Year. 
    Highland, MI

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I have the 8" Kiritsuki and the 6" boning knife, I love them both. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Cashfan said:
    How do you like the shun?  Heard nothing but great things, and I have been really impressed with the ones I've demo'd.  Thinking about becoming a dealer for them
    Oh great, another thing I will have to buy from you.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    you know how to remove the pit from an avocado by slamming a knife into it and twisting it out? I thought I did, too.  Global knife bounced off of the pit and sunk into my thumb, can't remember the last time I screamed in pain like that. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Cashfan said:
    @stlcharcoal I got the Shun brisket 12" nice for Christmas. This thing is NICE!  Not sure I would drop $180 on another one if I lost this, but it's fun to glide through the brisket.
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    I was given a Shun 7" Cobalt M.V. steel Hollow Ground Santoku. The model number is DM-0718L. It is a beautiful work of art! BTW though...you know what that L means? Yup..its left handed! Once you know that then you realize the handle has a raised ridge which fits nicely in the fold of your left hand fingers! I understand Shun still makes them for lefties if you need that! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    BUMMER TOM!  I thought I was the only one to do this!
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Shun knives fit a sweet spot. They are higher quality than most of the german blades, readily available, and look good. In my experience, you can do better from a value perspective by going with more traditional Japanese manufacturers. That is, you will get higher quality steel, more hand craftsmanship, at similar or lower prices.

I started with a Shun premier Santoku and have since jumped in at the deep end of Japanese knives. More to come.
    Mountain View, CA